Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What Would You Own If You Can't Have JBL?

What Would You Own If You Can't Have JBL?

Okay, if you have about $3,000 for a pair of speakers but you can't buy JBL, what would you buy? Here's my list:
    1. Klipschorn (or Belle Klipsch or La Scala)
    2. Altec A7 VOTT (or perhaps Model 19)
    3. Yamaha NS 1000

Quote Originally Posted by bill8888 View Post
    Okay, if you have about $3,000 for a pair of speakers but you can't buy JBL, what would you buy? Here's my list:
    3. Yamaha NS 1000
    You can't buy JBL, can't find JBLs . . . or don't want JBLs? Or just curious?

I wouldn't think you'd have to spend anywhere near that much money for any of your choices above. About $3000 could put you in to some 44xx 4-ways which should pretty much blow away all of the above. Worked for me!

I know you know better!
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by bill8888 View Post
    3. Yamaha NS 1000
    Odd parameters...

I have owned Klipschorns, La Scalas, DIY Belles, and have heard A-7s a fair amount years ago. I've never heard the Yamahas... so I can't say anything about them.

All of the speakers other than the Yamahas are very high sensitivity speakers. Is this the direction you are interested in? I realize you are not interested in JBLs and there are few JBLs this sensitive, but there are few speakers from others this sensitive either.

Of all of those high sensitivity speakers, I guess I would go with the Model 19s.

If I was looking for any secondhand speakers in that price range, I'd probably look at older Kef or B&W speakers, but these are about as far away from the Klipsch and Altecs you mentioned as is possible.

Widget

I bet you could get a decent pair of vintage Tannoy speakers for that kind of money. If thats you cup of tea?

/Mostly

I'm already starting to go with IMF transmissiion line speakers. I've always been intrigued to try a transmission line with a good JBL woofer and see where it would lead.
    When faced with another JBL find, Good mech986 says , JBL Fan mech986 says

Remember this thread?: http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...BL-L300-Summit

Looks appropriate to this discussion, particularly since I believe the OP has L300s.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Tannoy.

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post

Can't say I've heard any Yamaha monitors
    I have some Yammy copies of L100's. All drivers are cast. Great bass and Be tweet that is quite impressive, so I'm rather confident that their higher end monitors could be very nice too.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Tannoy ..... YUP ! Might be fun in a TL cab.

Tannoy !

I would buy some used T.A.D. componets,lumber,hammer and nails and build a home brew.

Oldmics

If I did not have JBL
    I think at I will go for TAD, B&W or Quad ESL

I own Yamaha NS-1000 (stored safely in the garage, for now - not right for the house), NS-5 (the studio monitor version, used in my bedroom every night), and NS-15 (also stored, safely). All of which are incredibly detailed and extremely flat sounding, acoustic suspension speaker systems, however, also extremely inefficient as far as amp power requirements. I like them with highly compressed music, like typical modern rock (please, forget MP3 - not a reasonable source), but with old, well recorded jazz, early rock or live classical, they sound a little constrained and kind of blow, compared to my puny JBLs.

I no longer own large JBL monitors (long story), but I can remember how I felt listening to them, being engaging with all of my music.

I do own JBl 4301b, 4312, and multiples of other JBL Pro, other older Pro Audio stage things I have brought into the house for a time, some DIY using components from the 60s and 70s. They are all very dynamic, very efficient and engaging, but not so flat as the vintage Yamaha studio equipment.

I would prefer the dynamics of the 4312s over any of the Yamahas and the 4301bs as a close second for just pure musicality and shear listening pleasure when exploring the less compressed "older" recordings no matter the genre. Of course neither of those can touch the power of the NS-1000s, but I can sit within two feet of the 4301bs and have a full and amazing sound stage.

To me it is almost like a trade off; do I want really "perfectly flat, detailed" representation of my music or would I prefer extremely detailed, very dynamic, hard hitting and possibly not as purely "flat" sounding music, but a particular style of representation that sounds more LIVE than canned.

Now, I have to admit to another personal preference, as far as movie sound goes - just to keep things fair - recently discovered. I "custom built" Cabaret style cabinets to fit in my available space in my movie room. I am still working over the XOs (mostly there!) but as far as using something "DYNAMIC" and ass kicking for movie watching in my 16 by 22, vaulted ceiling movie room - yeah!.
    These are going to be hard to beat! (15, horns, 2405s L&R front with 2-10s, horn, dual 2405s for center, 10s, 2405s rear surround) I am not talking about creating a Hi-FI system for music, but for movies - I am talking about shear gut feel and purity of tone over a wide range of many many different movie mixes. Very pleased with how my movies sound!
    And honestly, if I just want to make the floor shake with classic rock, my movie system does OK! With certain recordings, it sounds like there is a live band in the house. I love it!

A great deal of first hand history with live bands to call upon has made me a little difficult to please regarding recorded sound.

I have only owned Tannoy woofers. So as far as commenting on a system, it would be impossible. The Tannoy 15"ers were well detailed at moderate volume.

Pacific Northwest, but North-er and West-er
    I'm pretty fond of NHT. I've owned Super Zeros for 15 years or so and love them to death. I've been on the hunt for the NHT 3.3 now for about a year. Shipping is the killer for me as I live in Alaska. I have a seller lined up waiting for me to amass the requisite cash, but as I get close something always seems to suck it away. Last month, $500 to fix the truck that gets me around every day.

This month, a pair of NHT 2.5 for the vacation house in California set me back another $300. But they do not disappoint!
    I control the treble.
    I control the bass.

Quote Originally Posted by macaroonie View Post
    Tannoy ..... YUP ! Might be fun in a TL cab.
    I had some mid-fi Sony TL-1's . Driver was nothing special, but the TL cabinet sure made them sound a lot better than the sum of the components.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Thread Information