Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 4313B's 066 in need of a miracle...

4313B's 066 in need of a miracle...

Hello there!

I've managed to get a pair of 4313Bs, look nice but the tweeters. They have been paint in black with thick paint and this with a heavy brush... needless to say the dome is glued with the baffle alu part... a nightmare.
    Name:  Black06.jpg
Views: 2936
Size:  116.5 KB
    Seems someone has lost his sanity... Soundwise highs are dull and shy, held.

They can't take the throne now, still used by my 4311. (btw, do 4313B need more power than my 4311 wich can do fine with 30W at moderate level?)
    I decided to remove de paint (don't miss the t, coz the pain is still here), I managed to do it but sadly the dome itself lost its aluminium deposit at the same time.
    Name:  Naked066.jpg
Views: 3512
Size:  94.7 KB

Based on experienced users, is a coating possible? Like a spray or such, even if I guess it's not hardware store mutlipurpose "gray" paint but something more expensive and pro,
    or are they dead and worth hunting for a lovely pair? Before choosing with the "always on loudness" 4311 and these I need to hear what they can do

Many thanks, Matthieu

Do they work as is? If so there is no reason you cant mask off the surface around the dome and go with several light dustings of paint to get the coverage. Remember several light coatings is better than 1 heavy. As for as power requirements go the 4313B and the 4311s have the same requirements. I prefer the 4313Bs hands down!

I'd just run 'em naked. Save the silver paint for when/if you sell them.
    It was likely paint anyway if it came off fairly easily (vs the initial run that
    had vapor deposition Al coating).

Cool

Auto paint shops sell a highly reflective aluminum paint for coating the inside of light housings. I'd try that first if you want the silver look back. Light coats...
    Mike Scott in SJ, CA
    Drive 'em to the Xmax!

Hi fellows, thanks for helping,

Quote Originally Posted by Audiobeer View Post
    Do they work as is? If so there is no reason you cant mask off the surface around the dome and go with several light dustings of paint to get the coverage. Remember several light coatings is better than 1 heavy. As for as power requirements go the 4313B and the 4311s have the same requirements. I prefer the 4313Bs hands down!
    They were working painted black, badly, but they were... they will even better now I've tried them few and mounted on chairs, unfair as the 4311 were on their stands. Anyway, I've planned to live several weeks with one then the other until I set on the one I want to keep, another story, have to fully fix the 4313Bs first.

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    I'd just run 'em naked. Save the silver paint for when/if you sell them.
    It was likely paint anyway if it came off fairly easily (vs the initial run that
    had vapor deposition Al coating).
    So they changed the coating proccess? And they sound nice without aluminium "color"... sounds like the aluminium coating is the lipstick for that babe to seduce and then sell more

Quote Originally Posted by 4343 View Post
    Auto paint shops sell a highly reflective aluminum paint for coating the inside of light housings. I'd try that first if you want the silver look back. Light coats...
    Yes I want the look back! I've found that (A+400), need to find a seller now...
    http://www.weicon.com/pages/en/produ...nium-spray.php

I think an effective A/B test would be difficult... the speakers are voiced differently enough
    that it may be productive to audition each at length (as you've suggested), such that your
    ears have time to become accustomed to the "view" provided by each system.

The speakers that are intended to be more "accurate" may or may not be your personal
    preference. Both systems can be quite enjoyable. Have fun with your project and comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    Have fun with your project and comparison.
    A big YES!

Thanks!

While I'm at it and as I can't find much when searched the forum about, any improvemenst to the cabinet by damping/bracing? It's open so I can add "stuff" if needed...
    Aluminium spray on their way now

Talking

Hi fellows,

merry Xmas to all (and merry Xmax also )

Again, a question in order to experience things in the right way. I've swapped the 4311 for the 4313B. The bass response is just fantastic, tight, punchy, low enough for me, the best -by far- I've had at home (20sqm room).
    Sadly the highs are dull, recessed. I guess my 066 were abused too much, don't behave like they should. I can use the l-pad for a +2/3 to get some highs.
    But what I do feel odd is that they image not that good, 4311 were easier on that. So my questions are do highs play a major role on creating the image -then have to wait for newer 066, wich is ok for me- or do they request a different placement than the 4311 (toe in, 30cm from flor and 40cm from back wall)?
    Name:  4313B.jpg
Views: 2484
Size:  125.1 KB
    Side note, seems my 30Wpc amp is a bit at pain with the 4313B.

Thanks!
    Matthieu

Some ideas

Joyeux Noel Mattieu. Perhaps there is foam behind the 066 dome that is rotted ? This is a common fault with tweets of this era.
    Also check that the L pads are making good clean contact.

Good luck , these speakers are worth the effort.

And Happy new year
    Well I've decided to try the 4313Bs with my 4406's 035Tis. The 4406s are just computer's speaker and they will wait for their older sisters to get better. While at it the 035Tis' foam will be checked.
    Meanwhile I'll remove the 066's domes and clean than out the best I can. Do you want pictures fellows ? =)

Work in progress...

Nobody for pics?! Anyway, I've taken some so here they are

First by JBL themselves, last line:
    Name:  Capture d’écran 2014-01-30 à 22.09.57.png
Views: 2383
Size:  50.5 KB
    035TIAs are the best candidates. They are also very suitable to my mod because they are self centered, they have a hole on the back of the magnet and... because my 4406s did have them

I've decided to re-use the mesh in front of the dome, too much work to get it undone by accident. One can machine the case less (and have it smoothed on the edge) so the alu pushes and cover the centring screw's hole. Tighter fit and no need of screws, but unprotected dome... very 066 in a way!
    In both cases the assy will be held tighter than just the front plastic plate haging in air with the heavy magnet on its back.
    The magnet is centered using the bit on the 066's case, another tiny bit to be cut. The 066's magnet was glued on a rubber ring, I guess it was used to make a tight fit on the front part by pushing.
    Name:  Machined.jpg
Views: 2430
Size:  459.3 KB

The front plastic cut, no need to be perfect as it's used to keep the front sealed, wires are tiny so I had a hard time to protect them while getting them out of the glue. 4.1R on both coils, nice they are safe.
    Name:  cut.jpg
Views: 2410
Size:  427.6 KB

Should be nice... more work later!
    Name:  test.jpg
Views: 2225
Size:  352.7 KB

Interesting... that was not at all what I was expecting.
    First time I've seen this particular "sew-a-dome-to-me" operation performed

And I'm stuck... because these screws are... imperial ones! They are nowhere sadly here or very pricey, as much as a tweeter. I'll make a call for help gents!
    If anyone with 8-32 5/8", 6 pcs, and 8-32 1-1/2", 6 pcs also please make an offre for France, may find a deal!
    Hope to find some soon, thanks.

Work in progress

Got screws, will have the 4313Bs back this weekend =)

Foam dampeners, I used a quite high density one. That should do the trick nicely. Extension wires, solid copper from Cat6 ethernet cable, 23AWG, are held with neoprene glue. Tight enough and no vibrations here.
    Name:  foamglue.jpg
Views: 3124
Size:  296.7 KB

Casing prior to the sealing of the assy, I like the look, hope I'll like the sound as much =) But the 035TiA is in fact something like 4mm deeper in the 4313B, will this have an impact on delay? I guess a tilted speaker does have the same or even more amount of time shift?!
    Name:  mesh_case.jpg
Views: 2365
Size:  472.8 KB

Thread Information