Thread: home theatre with 4350's

home theatre with 4350's

I am in the finishing stages of restoring a pair of JBL4350. I would like to use them as part of a home theatre system. They have their own Rotel block amplifiers and I thought to them use with a home theatre amplifier (maybe Pioneer SC-68). This is where I have hit a wall. Could anyone guide me as to what centre and rear speakers to buy as well as any potential problems mating this system together. Also thanks to all that helped regarding the restoration. This is a wonderful forum. Regards

I have a 4.0 surround sound system composed of 2 pairs of JBL S3100. I have never missed a centre channel. It is, of course, a tall order to find and restore another pair of 4350, and that is, perhaps, what you would like to avoid?

I've heard very successful 4.1 systems, but typically they are only really good for the one person sitting in the sweet spot. For most home theaters 5.1 or 7.1 really makes sense.

So, what to use with 4350s? I think the best choice would be a compact DYI system with a JBL 2206 below a 2440/2441 on the 2311 horn with lens and a 2405. This system would extend to 80Hz and sonically match the 4350s.

So, what off the shelf system would work? Any high quality system will work, but the character of the center will dominate the overall sound as the stereo pair of speakers in a surround system are fairly subordinate in most movie soundtracks.

Now for the surrounds, if the system is for surround sound music recordings, all five speakers should be identical, however if the system is for movie soundtracks then I personally do not feel that surround speaker choices are particularly important. Many will disagree with me, but in my experience we are not very discerning when it comes to sounds coming from behind our heads. I'm not suggesting you should use junk back there, but any competent system should satisfy.

Widget

home theatre with 4350's

Thankyou to Jan and Mr Wiget for your time and advise. At this stage I am looking at a Pioneer Elite SC-68 A/V Receiver. I will use my Rotel block amps to drive the 4350 and the centre and rear speakers using the amps in the Pioneer. I guess my main problem is what centre speaker to use to match the 4350. I am assuming to use a JBL one but I am open to all suggestions. For the rears I feel that a speaker that is reasonable and can produce clear and reasonable sound pressure levels would be ok. To all the knowledgeable members here please allow me to access your brain. Regards

Center Channel Suggestion

I would opt for the Synthesis Array 880 Center Channel: http://www.jblsynthesis.com/Products/Details/152

There are quite a few members here that have built there own centers. Just search for "center" and you will have a number of interesting projects. If you want to be certain about a matching center, just use the same drivers as the 4350. Two 2202 on either side of a 2440 and 2405 and you are all set.

/Mostly

I like this idea, also Mr. Widget's idea.

Use drivers that match your lefts and rights. Make a decent enclosure (mine is short, but deep - I used two tens with a horn between) large enough to support your drivers, stuff it well, vent it if you have the knowledge.

As mentioned already, the center will dominate your 5.1 (even 7.1) sound, so make an awesome center, similar to your Left, Rights.

home theatre with 4350's

Quote Originally Posted by Retroman View Post
    I would opt for the Synthesis Array 880 Center Channel: http://www.jblsynthesis.com/Products/Details/152
    Thankyou for your suggestions. I am currently looking into the individual amplifiers. Have you ever considered Integra. I have one on the Gold Coast and it seems quite good. Model 70.3 Your opinion would be appreciated. Also what would you suggest for rear and side speakers in this system. Thankyuo for your time. Regards Michael Cass

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    I've heard very successful 4.1 systems, but typically they are only really good for the one person sitting in the sweet spot. For most home theaters 5.1 or 7.1 really makes sense.So, what to use with 4350s? I think the best choice would be a compact DYI system with a JBL 2206 below a 2440/2441 on the 2311 horn with lens and a 2405. This system would extend to 80Hz and sonically match the 4350s.So, what off the shelf system would work? Any high quality system will work, but the character of the center will dominate the overall sound as the stereo pair of speakers in a surround system are fairly subordinate in most movie soundtracks.Now for the surrounds, if the system is for surround sound music recordings, all five speakers should be identical, however if the system is for movie soundtracks then I personally do not feel that surround speaker choices are particularly important. Many will disagree with me, but in my experience we are not very discerning when it comes to sounds coming from behind our heads. I'm not suggesting you should use junk back there, but any competent system should satisfy.Widget
    Very good suggestion,without center speaker and subwoofer,it is not a home theatre.most movie dialogue and vocal came from centre chanel,we call center and subwoofer speakers are the spirit of a theatre.To mate 4350,it is better to use same mid and HF as 4350,that is 2405+2440+2*8'or2*10'or2*12
    46 lover

Quote Originally Posted by Retroman View Post

I would say the 880 would fall quite a bit short of 4350's in all aspects. Widgets suggestion would be the best approach IMHO.

What are you using for viewing?
    Always fun learning more.......

Center Channel for 4350's, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by traveler View Post
    Thankyou for your suggestions. I am currently looking into the individual amplifiers. Have you ever considered Integra. I have one on the Gold Coast and it seems quite good. Model 70.3 Your opinion would be appreciated. Also what would you suggest for rear and side speakers in this system. Thankyuo for your time. Regards Michael Cass
    I agree with two other people answering you about center channels. Conventional wisdom says, "Make your center channel mid and HF drivers match your front left and right drivers.", so that as sounds move across the soundstage they keep the same character or timbre. This gives a more realistic panorama of sound. The center channel speaker does not need to carry too much bass, so it is usually just a mid and tweeter combo. The same goes for the rear and side channels, matching the mid and tweeter of the front left and right main speakers. Obviously, most of us here are picky audiophiles and can scratch up the money to build perfectly matching system channels all the way around. The better your ears are, the more you will appreciate matching all your mid and HF drivers. If anyone reading here does not want to spend that kind of money, just buy three small two-way speakers with high power capacity and good tweeters that will not distort at all when driven with 100 Watts RMS each, or more, and it will sound good enough. About the amp, these days most amps sound so much better than what we had to work with when we stared out as young audiophiles. In my opinion, the maximum tolerable distortion at rated power is 0.1%. Run it at less than 70% output to sound decent. The Integra 70.3 has 0.05% THD, so that should sound nice. Low distortion is my main recommendation. Listen to it and see if you like it. -Sparky2-

...most of the voice track of TV and movies ends up going to the center channel.... ....how about a studio monitor like a JBL 4312 or another quality 3-way 12" system....

it is smart to pick something for the center that has a similar efficiency rating to you mains....

.....going without a center is like going without a sub.... it will never sound its best without both...

I've done it both ways and actually prefer to go without a center, but if you must use one, go with something identical (not close) to the mains from 80 on up. Surrounds aren't that critical.

Thread Information