Thread: Altec Hollywood Manufacturing question

Altec Hollywood Manufacturing question

Hello all. I wanted to reach out and ask the experts. I have an older 515 RWB. Which (given its age) has started flaking off its paint surrounding the magnet structure. I'm curious from a manufacturing standpoint how the black crinkle finish was applied. I wanted to see if replicating this was too terribly hard or not??? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

You can buy wrinkle-finish paints at auto-parts places. Trick is getting it to match an existing finish. We used to use heat lamps to get consistent results. Painting under a bright, sunny summer sky yields quite a different finish than just a hot day. Humidity is also a factor. We used to refinish aircraft instrument panels and the owners could be quite picky...

I know Rustoleum has some wrinkle/crinkle finish paints, look for caliper or engine finishes. I would get some coffee cans and put them on a lazy susan to practice painting on - it really is all in the wrist!
    Share what you know, learn what you don't...

Quote Originally Posted by WDJ View Post
    You can buy wrinkle-finish paints at auto-parts places. Trick is getting it to match an existing finish. We used to use heat lamps to get consistent results. Painting under a bright, sunny summer sky yields quite a different finish than just a hot day. Humidity is also a factor. We used to refinish aircraft instrument panels and the owners could be quite picky...

I know Rustoleum has some wrinkle/crinkle finish paints, look for caliper or engine finishes. I would get some coffee cans to practice painting on - it really is all in the wrist!
    Ditto all of the above!
    And I'd add paint film thickness also affects the sheen, depth, and density of the wrinkle.

Widget

Thread Information