Thread: BGW 203 Preamp

BGW 203 Preamp

Hello together,

meanwhile I've found an amplifier matching my JBL Jubal: the BOSE 1800 Mk I and I like it's sound very much.

Today I've found a preamp for this setup: the BGW 203 and I think, that this combination is a very good choice.

Now my questions: does anybody know, where I could find a user-manual with schematic for the BGW 203 and could anybody show me the accessory I need for MC-phono?

Thank you
    Frank

Quote Originally Posted by _Frank_ View Post
    Hello Heather,

sorry - my mistake: I've several stepup-transformers or prepreamps for MC-Phono but I'm looking for the "ORIGINAL ACCESSORY" by BGW I need to connect the 4 pin jack at the BGW 203 cabinet! I think it's the BGW 50 MC-preamp ...

Regards Frank
    No problem - good luck with your quest!

================================

There are a lot of nice outboard TT preamps that will bring either MM or MC signals up to Line-in levels.
    I got a (used) Musical Fidelity V series preamp a while back to boost my Denon TT outs to something an integrated Jolida amp can use.

http://www.musicalfidelity.com/products/vSeries/

While that may be out of production, they do make other, similar units ...

http://www.musicalfidelity.com/produ.../phono-stages/

Quote Originally Posted by _Frank_ View Post
    Hello together,

meanwhile I've found an amplifier matching my JBL Jubal: the BOSE 1800 Mk I and I like it's sound very much.

Today I've found a preamp for this setup: the BGW 203 and I think, that this combination is a very good choice.

Now my questions: does anybody know, where I could find a user-manual with schematic for the BGW 203 and could anybody show me the accessory I need for MC-phono?

Thank you
    Frank
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Hello James,

sorry - my mistake: I've several stepup-transformers or prepreamps for MC-Phono but I'm looking for the "ORIGINAL ACCESSORY" by BGW I need to connect the 4 pin jack at the BGW 203 cabinet! I think it's the BGW 50 MC-preamp ...

Regards Frank

I also have a 203 that controls both my BGW 750D & 250D. I really like it. Did a little research and found it sold for about $1,300 in 1978, and they still fetch about $300 on eBay to this day.

Have been unable to find the manual, but the 202 one is easily found and I think is basically the same.

Have been told to forget about that MC module. very rare.

LHF member "Loach71" is the master on all things BGW and can probably answer a tech question, but he is a very busy guy, so if you do ask ... make sure it's not a trivial question.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Have you tried the current owner of BGW?:

http://www.bgw.com/tech/

others online appear to offer the service/owner's manual for sale ...

From memory the difference between the 202 and 203 models is one uses linear faders for tone and volume and the other uses rotary pots (I use this version), the linear fader version also uses a switch matrix for L & R configurations the other uses rotary switch to achieve the same L & R configurations, the preamp, output line drivers, power supply and tone control cct. topology are all the same .... the MC phono add on is very very rare, Amplifier Technologies are very helpful but they don't have every schematic and from memory the MC preamp is one they don't have. If you need the preamp schematic or any other BGW schematic pm me ...... Good Luck !!!
    4435, 4430, 4315, 4312B.
    2 x Bryston 4BSST2, BGW 203, JBL 5235, Aphex 720.

J.A.F.S.

201 - 202 Manual

The moving coil preamp is the BGW model 50... one of which I own with my BGW 202. It works very well and is housed in a very heavy cast aluminum box. Please find attached a BGW 201-202 manual.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Amazed I'm still alive!
    Tim

Thread Information