Thread: jbl 150-4c vs Altec 515 vs EV 15 vs WE vs Jensen 15 Which is Ultimate bass Woofer?

Cool jbl 150-4c vs Altec 515 vs EV 15 vs WE vs Jensen 15 Which is Ultimate bass Woofer?

of the vintage 15 inch woofers mentioned in the title above which of these is king of the best sounding low and mid bass and the most efficient? Taking into consideration cabinet size of course. i havent heard any of the above yet so your expertise would help me make the needed decision. Please mention the ideal crossover to be used. Thanks for your help.

All 515 does not have the same sound.
    515 b frames 15 3/4 or 16"
    515 c
    515 e
    515 g

Stéphane
    Club double 16"
    "Laissez les Bons Temps Rouler"

Quote Originally Posted by vinny View Post
    of the vintage 15 inch woofers mentioned in the title above which of these is king of the best sounding low and mid bass and the most efficient? Taking into consideration cabinet size of course. i havent heard any of the above yet so your expertise would help me make the needed decision. Please mention the ideal crossover to be used. Thanks for your help.
    Very good question,i expect the answer
    46 lover

I dont think there will be an answear to this question. If someone says that D130 is best, thats only his opinion based on his preferences. They all perform differently in different applications. I also think that the question should be "ultimate Vintage Bass woofer" since new woofers will outperform these old drivers by far. I very much like old drivers and they do have a special sound. I think one can draw a vague parallell to tube gear. They have special distorsion which tend to please the human ear, maybe this could also apply for old drivers to some degree?

/Mostly

The earlier 515 would have the better sound. modern drivers may outperform the vintage ones spec wise but not as pleasing and special sounding as vintage. I have yet anyone to review the famous JBL 1504-C and the super rare fifteen inch tannoy black. Does anyone have any info on the jensen 15 inch used in the imperials and ev 15w/18w used in the patrician.

Both the tannoy and the Jensen g610a/b are full range drivers although they go about it in different ways.

If you want info on the Tannoy, this page has some interesting reading. Even though the Black were the first, they have the highest collectors value. I seriously doubt that they are the best sounding though.

Other interesting full range drivers are Rca Lc1a, goodmans axiom 80, altec 755

For info about the other drivers, google is your friend I will have the opportunity to try out most of these drivers in a few month but it will be some time before I can post some listening impressions Im afraid.

/Mostly

Quote Originally Posted by Mostlydiy View Post
    Both the tannoy and the Jensen g610a/b are full range drivers although they go about it in different ways.

If you want info on the Tannoy, this page has some interesting reading. Even though the Black were the first, they have the highest collectors value. I seriously doubt that they are the best sounding though.

Other interesting full range drivers are Rca Lc1a, goodmans axiom 80, altec 755

For info about the other drivers, google is your friend I will have the opportunity to try out most of these drivers in a few month but it will be some time before I can post some listening impressions Im afraid.

/Mostly
    Great,expect you to tell us which one is the best vintage 15' speakers
    46 lover

maybe its better to review just the big 15 inch bass drivers seperately jbl ev altec and jensen vitavox goodmans and western electrics. the jensen 610s Altec 604s and Tannoys blacks are different animals.

ok i should have rephrased the question. Which had the better midrange and deep bass combo.

Thread Information