Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A pair of 2245's, finally!

Hello Doc,

I dont know if you are familiar with this thread but these cabs looks great. With a few hours spent in the garage you might be there.

/Mostly

Good Morning, Mostlydiy,

Thank you for that link. I have looked at that setup many times, and that is one of the motivating factors that makes me want to play with this project! So, yes, it's a fine idea. However, we live in a small mountain town, at 5,000 feet in elevation, and have no garage in which to work. I have done some woodwork underneath our carport roof, but only in the Summer. Right now, we're getting light snow, and more is expected as the day progresses. So, making a large cabinet outside is not going to work for me, until next Summer! I'd like to play around before that. So, guess I'll just keep waiting, and see what happens on that front. A proper 4645 cabinet will come along, sooner, or later. Thank you, again, for the suggestion. The CNC cut parts for that enclosure are outstanding, and I'd love to do something like that. Just not in the Winter. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc
    The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

those boxes are not exotic ,,,pretty basic.... get dimensions and ask a cabinet maker to fabricate them... I would dress them up a bit for inside show.... say veneer or formica and a grill cover would be nice...

I think these were designed for movie houses.... so they need a little zip for house duty... one per system with a monster amp is all I would ever need,,, but your mileage may differ...

Quote Originally Posted by robertbartsch View Post
    those boxes are not exotic ,,,pretty basic.... get dimensions and ask a cabinet maker to fabricate them... I would dress them up a bit for inside show.... say veneer or formica and a grill cover would be nice...

I think these were designed for movie houses.... so they need a little zip for house duty... one per system with a monster amp is all I would ever need,,, but your mileage may differ...
    Doc already said he could do it himself - but since his workspace is outside, he'll wait for spring and warmer months.
    Sounds like he has it completely covered, if you just read the words he's already written here ...
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Looks like fun Doc, I think you could do a better job than the 4645 cabs for your 2245s. The ones I have seen from the factory looked underbraced and undersized for what I would want.

I got a 2245 core myself not too long ago and have been toying around with the idea of maybe making the 12cuft box to play the lows for my A7 setup with 2405s up top.

Good luck with your project.

Greetings, All,

Heather, you had it 100% right. Right now, we've got snow and ice down in the carport, and with the high winds and 20°F temps, I'll not be working wood down there anytime soon!!

DD, I am certain I can build be better box than the 4645, BUT, having two 12 ft3 enclosures in our living room, with a 10", a 2397+2445, and a 2405 on top of them, would make for a huge package. As much as my Sweet Bride loves our L300's, and as an aside, they don't look "big" to her anymore(!), I am not sure she would like the stack I have in mind. But, hey, you never know until you try. So, I'll keep looking for another 4645, and that way, I can play and see what sounds, and looks best to me, and to her!! I've also given thought to a single enclosure, with two 2245's in it, something more akin to satellite use of the other three components. Might be good, might not.... This Winter, I'll probably begin cleaning house, and see how much of the audio transducer stuff that I have, is really needed. I love "having" it, but unless I'm using the stuff, it almost seems like a waste. Who knows....

Thanks, again, for your comments, friends, and a very Merry Christmas to one and all!!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

P.S. Has anyone ever made a 4345-type clone, incorporating a 2396 mounted as part of the enclosure? I'm thinking such a box would be fairly large, though....
    The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

Greetings, All,

Well, Santa Claus sent me a note yesterday, telling me that, whilst I had not been a TOTALLY good Lad, I had "just" squeeked by and had been "good enough". So, Santa (in the form of my friend Grumpy!!! ) is kindly offering a very fair deal on a 4645 cabinet!!! So, either tomorrow, or Saturday, I'll be driving to the North Pole (Grumpy's place!) to pick up the bass cab that I've been seeking!! Thank you, Grumpy, for offering me this cabinet!! Now, "most" of the pieces for my project have fallen together, and the only things that will remain to be done are 1- finally getting our system hum found and solved; and 2- either getting the Ashley 4001 up and running, or making some crossovers for this system!! I'll try the Ashley, first, and then if that is not satisfactory, will move other ideas for crossing the drivers in a smooth and proper manner! Thanks, again, Grump, and thanks to one and all who offered suggestions, or comments on this thread!! Once I get to play with this, I'll post some photos, and some comments on how it all sounds together!!! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc (tickled as pink as a newborn baby!!!)

Hi, All,

I talked to Edgewound (Ken) yesterday, and my 2245's should be ready by next weekend. Since it is Christmas, I told him not to cut into his family/Christmas time to get them done. At least I know they are close to being finished, and that soon, I'll have them in my grimy mitts!! Things are suddenly picking up on this project, in all ways! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

Sweet! The low end needs to be heard!
    XPL 200's w DX1, XPL 160's, XPL 140's, L7's, L5's, L3's, L1's Homemade L Center, 4412's, 4406, L60T's, L20T's

Good Evening, All,

I got a call from Ken yesterday afternoon, and he told me he was just completing the work on my 2245's!! It's taken quite a long time, but I am patient, as Ken's outstanding work is more than worth it!! I met him at 7AM today, as I had to drop off Sweet Bride at the airport at 5M, and was not that far away from his shop. After a nice breakfast, and a stop for a large hot tea, I went to see Ken, and pick up my JBL's, all ready to go!! It's always fun to spend a little time talking with Ken, and today was no different than usual. It was raining, with a little light snow, up on the mountain, so I packed along some plastic bags to cover the 2245's as I carried them up the stairs from the driveway. Now, they are safe and sound at home, and as soon as a little time comes my way, I'll be installing them in the 8 cubic foot boxes that will be their home, at least for a while!! I checked them out carefully upon getting them into the house, and was once again amazed by the quality of Ken's work. Excellent job. He was a little bummed that both cones have a few small stains on them. But, that's how they were when I bought them, and I'd rather not mess with trying to coat the cones with anything that would cover up the stains. When I hear them, I WON'T be paying attention to those little stains, I'm sure!! More later, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

Awesome! And remember, we love pictures!!! :-)

Thread Information