Thread: 4343 again

4343 again

Hi guys,Based on battery test, woofers move IN when + voltage is applied to the speaker wire from its RED terminal binding post.As all the units in 4343 are negative, as written JBL tech note, this is normal, I think.However, as for the mid (2121), the cones move OUT, not IN like woofers, when + voltage is applied to the speaker wire from its RED terminal binding post.I suspect my previous owner may have changed its internal wiring here. If he did, how can I put this mid back to its original JBL spec? As always, I appreciate your help, and look forward to your great advice.

How many times do we need to go over this same darned discussion?
    If you don't know how they go and you won't decide which way sounds best to you, does it even matter what anyone else tells you?

Again, look at the schematic and see which drivers are wired in reverse ...
    The schematic is right here: http://www.jblproservice.com/pdf/Network Schematics/3143 Network.pdf

And here is a screen cap of that chart:

Name:  4343-ScreenShot.png
Views: 707
Size:  83.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by pyonc View Post
    Hi guys, Based on battery test, woofers move IN when + voltage is applied to the speaker wire from its RED terminal binding post.
    As all the units in 4343 are negative, as written JBL tech note, this is normal, I think.
    However, as for the mid (2121), the cones move OUT, not IN like woofers, when + voltage is applied to the speaker wire from its RED terminal binding post.
    I guess my previous owner must have changed its internal wiring here.
    So, how can I put this mid back to its original JBL spec? As always, I appreciate your help, and look forward to your great advice.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    How many times do we need to go over this same darned discussion?
    If you don't know they go and you won't decide which way sounds best to you, does it even matter what anyone else tells you?
    Thanks much for you going to the trouble of replying my questions first, and I appreciate that. Let me open the cabinets and check them carefully. Actually I've recently found a couple of threads on this topic by my previous owner, who messed with the original internal wiring.With good intention, he, like myself, was trying to figure out how to get the best sound out, first with bass and then mid, high...I suspect he changed its original spec of the mid.

Cool

Your battery test confirms the LF and MF are wired to the original spec. LF red connects to green, which connects to the red terminal of the woofer. Negative woofer moves in as expected. Convention is that the striped wire is black terminal on driver.

MF black connects to the solid color, which connects to the red terminal on the MF driver. Negative MF cone moves out as expected. It appears that the HF and UHF are also wired opposite the woofer.
    Mike Scott in SJ, CA
    Drive 'em to the Xmax!

Quote Originally Posted by 4343 View Post
    Your battery test confirms the LF and MF are wired to the original spec. LF red connects to green, which connects to the red terminal of the woofer. Negative woofer moves in as expected. Convention is that the striped wire is black terminal on driver.

MF black connects to the solid color, which connects to the red terminal on the MF driver. Negative MF cone moves out as expected. It appears that the HF and UHF are also wired opposite the woofer.
    That's the kind of reply I've been looking for. Thanks a lot for your help. For the same + voltage, woofer moves in and cone moves out. Your answer automatically clears my confusion on the connection of amps to the speaker due to 4343's negative polarity.

Quote Originally Posted by 4343 View Post

So - the woofer is out of phase compared to the other 3 drivers, as previously discussed.
    This sharpens the cutoff between the Woofer and the midbass, as previously discussed.

And Pyonc has no other speakers in the room, so he only has to worry about the polarity of those 2 Monitors (speakers) relative to each other ...

Sorry to be so sharp last night, Pyonc - I had a pounding headache that was best cured by going to bed a bit early ...
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    So - the woofer is out of phase compared to the other 3 drivers, as previously discussed.
    This sharpens the cutoff between the Woofer and the midbass, as previously discussed.

And Pyonc has no other speakers in the room, so he only has to worry about the polarity of those 2 Monitors (speakers) relative to each other ...

Sorry to be so sharp last night, Pyonc - I had a pounding headache that was best cured by going to bed a bit early ...
    No worries, hjames. You've been persistently helpful. And your ruling holds true, as it did. I'm happy now to get this puzzle off my chest!

So, lets finish this once for all - can someone edit the 3143 schematic by adding the right colors to the connections?

Thread Information