Thread: Altec 1503 Multicall Horn.

Altec 1503 Multicall Horn.

Hello, I bought to of these 1503 Mulitcell Horns and my plan was to make flower pots out of them then I thought maybe I could hang them in my shop and put a little speaker behind them and it would look kinda cool. I got on this site to see how they work or if I could put a speaker behind the horn and it would amplify the sound. My question is Will it work? Thanks for your help.

The Altec Lansing H-1503 (fifteen cell, 300 Hz. cutoff) multicellular horns would be best used as intended, each driven by one or two 288 drivers as part of a multi-way system. Used this way their performance is stellar, as a flower pot... not so much. You had best research their considerable value before going rogue with them.

Altec H-1503

Hi Steve thank you for responding to this thread. I have tried to find out any information regarding H-1503 but I only find H-1504. I didn't think much of it when I didn't find any information. I own a self storage business and come across a lot of strange stuff. I thought at first they were outdoor speakers. I would not want to hurt the value or history. Could you give me a name of any place that would like to buy them. I can send pictures of both units. There is a small square hole on one side but no drivers. I am guessing drivers are the speakers?
    Any info would be helpful. I live in Tulare County if there is any place close like Fresno. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Harlow View Post
    Could you give me a name of any place that would like to buy them.
    So predictable. I think no less of people owning storage facilties... Put them on eBay. It'll be worth whatever people pay...

Harlow you just need to find your market for these items to receive their fair value. Here is a current auction of a 1504 on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Altec-Lansin...item51af37edf5

The 1504 is a little different on the throat end to allow the use of a four driver (speaker) throat adapter. The 1504 is more rare than the 1503, but the 1503 is sought after also. The older horns were fully encased and filled with tar and are extremely heavy and easily damaged. The later ones like the 1504 in the auction are a more open construction with undercoating sprayed on the walls of the individual cells. My guess is that a pair of early tar filled 1503s with single or dual driver throats is probably worth around $3,000. these days, and the later type perhaps half that. A sale on ebay will likely require your shipping them to the buyer, which can be a daunting task. You might not get quite as much for them on Craigslist, but at least the buyer will be local.

Please let us know how it goes.

H-1503

Steve,

Thank you,

I don't have a e=bay account, I think it's time to start one. Thanks again

Harlow

Altec H-1503

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 2870
Size:  56.7 KB

flower pots

Hey, if a guy in Wisconsin can do this:
Views: 2501
Size:  130.5 KB

Altec H-1503

I posted them on craigslist in LA... I'll let you know what comes of it.

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    Hey, if a guy in Wisconsin can do this:
Views: 2501
Size:  130.5 KB
    I would have turned all those circular saw blades so the teeth would be facing back, but I do like it.
    "Audio is filled with dangerous amateurs." --- Tim de Paravicini

Hey anyone can do what they want with what ever they own. But it still makes me a little sad. I have always wanted a pair of multicell horns. But there out of my price league. There just a piece of amazing craftsmanship. Plus there worth so much as is. It seems a waste to chop them up for a piece of art.

But its my personal opinion and nothing more.

Quote Originally Posted by NickH View Post
    Hey anyone can do what they want with what ever they own. But it still makes me a little sad.
    Indeed ... upon visiting the site of the "Forevertron" the first time, I was both intrigued and nauseated. Art can do that.
    Second time, I was more prepared... worth a visit if you're ever in the neighborhood.

Hopefully, this pair will find a home more receptive to the original intent.

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/ele/4171952107.html

funny that I was thinking about mentioning the forevertron. I haven't looked to double check but I want to say its a western e 15a horn. Those things fetch a whole bunch of money. Granted the monstrosity was made from it years ago I guess. But man you could buy a decent car for the money those sell for.

To each there own. But I sure can't fathom it.

I'd give up a kidney for 2 of those with the drivers, which is another fortune too. It did take 4 western 555 drivers.

But I'm sure many of them ended up getting melted down years ago. Or at the bottom of a landfill.

Fair enough, grumpy. In fact, one of my early plaster midrange horn experiments has served as a cactus planter in the backyard. Nobody is dying to give me a couple grand for that one, though...

Harlow can you provide a picture of your horns from the back? They all look about the same from the front, so we can't tell whether they are the early tar filled horns or the later open construction types. Good luck with your sale.

Thread Information