Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Soundcraftsmen

Thanks for your input. I forgot what you said about the switches. I will have to remember that. Is there a way that you can tell if you need a 1/3 over a 2/3? Because I real don't know I just always had it in my system from Germany.

Quote Originally Posted by racinoffrd View Post
    Thanks for your input. I forgot what you said about the switches. I will have to remember that. Is there a way that you can tell if you need a 1/3 over a 2/3? Because I real don't know I just always had it in my system from Germany.
    Simply, if you're just using the EQ as a big tone control, you'll probably be fine with fewer bands. If you're battling room acoustics, you'll need the narrow bands to target specific frequencies. But you can "draw" the typical "smiley face" with any of them!
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Latest Soundcraftsmen acquisition

I've used the Pro-PT Two pre-amp/tuner in a couple of my systems for several years. Simple to operate and perfect for a system where critical listening is not the primary use. But I've been intrigued by the Pro-PT 5R for years with its better specs and the prospect of a TOTL vintage pre-amp with remote control. Hard to find one that hasn't been abused, or one with the remote present and in working condition.

I came across an Ebay item recently that included the Pro-PT 5R with remote and a Pro-Power-Four amp, both in original boxes with performance reports and manuals. I already have one of these amps and it's a real sleeper with some kick-ass bass output on appropriate speakers. I always figured having two and bridging them would make for an awesome solution for the 250tis, and then I fell into a Crown Studio Reference-II and forgot about the SC PP4. But the Pro-PT 5R still had my attention.

The seller was easy to work with. He took my second offer, after his counter, promised to double-box, charged me a reasonable amount for shipping in two boxes and promised he'd ship them in two days. It took him only one and he even refunded the shipping overcharge to me immediately. That's the rare honest eBay seller these days.

Well, they arrived yesterday via Fedex and USPS in good shape and very well boxed with protection between the original SC packaging and the sturdy outer box. Extra stuffing inside the originals to make sure they didn't shift or get crushed, too. A great job that took me nearly an hour to unpack and appropriately organize the material for re-cycling. The PT showed the typical SC tendency to lose paint on the top edge and I'll go over the seller's MagicMarker repair attempt with some enamel I have that matches SC's paint perfectly. The amp looks like it was never out of the box and shows not one speck of dust in the fan and vent on the rear panel. I'd call it perfect.

Hooked them up to one of my pair of L7s in the small speaker room and used my iPod classic with simply the headphone jack to RCA interconnect and the sound was fantastic, as expected. The Pro-Power-Four allows switching between or including two speaker pairs so I connected the L96s to the "B" output and enjoyed swapping back and forth while allowing the SC components to get fully warmed up and broken in. No problems after four-hours of playing. These were nothing I needed and won't replace the Pro-Control-Four, Pro-EQ-44, Pro-Tuner Four in my main system with the JBL 4345s and Crown PS400 and PS200 bi-amped. They will make a great system in a future room or in one of my kids' homes in the future. If nothing else, I'm preserving the legacy of another great USA manufacturer no longer with us. Just as today many of us are looking at our Greg Timbers' JBLs with the same thoughts!

So, for posterity, here they are in the original auction photos:
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Well, they arrived yesterday via Fedex

Quote Originally Posted by vytieubao View Post
    Well, they arrived yesterday via Fedex

Spam of some kind?

Thread Information