Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best sub/bass for HIFI 4645c or sub 1500 in sealed boxes?

Quote Originally Posted by martin_wu99 View Post
    IMO,they are all not very suitable for hifi,only for HT,but if you use 4645 with 2245,it will be ok for hifi
    Oboy, how wrong you are, but it is your opinion.
    Like I said, I use mine just mainly for hifi

Quote Originally Posted by Kalle View Post
    Both 2242 and sub 1500 or only 2242?

I´m thinking of the LSR32 and sub 1500 as my hottest choice.

/Karl
    If that is your hottest choice, then go for it!

Let us know how it turned out!

I think at there were interested to hear how 2269G/H will work in the 4645B/C enclosure
    I only see people here talk about the 18" 2241, 2242 and 2245

have no one try or hear the 2269G/H?

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Love my 4641 - plays nice and low for films and the cabinet
    and isn't too darned big (with a bit of disguise over in the corner).

Attachment 60526
    Nicely done!
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Mctwins
    Frequency response of two JBL 4641, measured at listening position, distance 4meters, crossover at 80Hz. Bobeccas system.

No need for high-end sub. Again, room acoustics is the solution.

Name:  FR256K24.jpg
Views: 983
Size:  49.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Mctwins View Post
    Frequency response of two JBL 4641, measured at listening position, distance 4meters, crossover at 80Hz. Bobeccas system.

No need for high-end sub. Again, room acoustics is the solution.
    I'm sorry but I have to take exception with two points in your post.

1. A frequency response plot may tell us a lot, but it doesn't tell us how a speaker actually sounds.

2. To my knowledge no system accurately measures low frequencies, say below 100 Hz, in smaller rooms. I'm not saying your plot is "wrong", but moving the mic around the listening area by only a foot or two will very likely result in fairly different results.

That said I am sure those subs can offer deep bass in the right deployment and I also agree about the importance of room design.

Widget

+1

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    I also agree about the importance of room design.
    Widget
    I actually voice my spkrs as much by textbook, then I have several different tests I use in my room to tell me how the drivers are acting in MY environment.

I have played many spkr systems on as many different amps/preamps/rcvrs and I know pretty much where my room helps me(LF gain down to where the room is too small to support the wavelength. Going into the kitchen the lower notes are felt/heard easily. Just a matter of physics there!).

The mid/HF section is very bright since I'm 6 ft away from my spkrs, so I have to bring down their sensitivity as my ears are overly sensitive in that area.

Just my 2 cents worth...

Ron
    JBL Pro for home use!

Mabye I`ll have to buy both and then I know. I don`t think the pair i don`t want will be extremly hard to sell. The LSR 32 seems very prommising after some research on the net For now I`m listening to another Harman produkt (and drinking beer), "Infinity Kappa 90" what do you think about them?

(sorry for the spelling, second language + beer)

/Karl

Im surprised the sub1500 are still up for sale. Someone should have snitched them up by now...

Quote Originally Posted by Mostlydiy View Post
    Im surprised the sub1500 are still up for sale. Someone should have snitched them up by now...
    I will give the seller a call after the weekend. We´ll see I haven`t have time for speakers this week

Another option for subs IMHO is LE14H-3's. I feel 2 of them is the equivalent of a 2245 with more power handling.

I prefer them to the sub1500's I own or the 2242's. I do use the 2242's for HT but no hifi. The sub1500's just do not have the fine detail of the -3's in my listening room.
    Always fun learning more.......

Quote Originally Posted by JuniorJBL View Post
    Another option for subs IMHO is LE14H-3's. I feel 2 of them is the equivalent of a 2245 with more power handling.

I prefer them to the sub1500's I own or the 2242's. I do use the 2242's for HT but no hifi. The sub1500's just do not have the fine detail of the -3's in my listening room.
    I think this brings up the question what is the sub for? The LE14H-3 is a fantastic woofer, but it won't dip into the low 20s like a Sub1500 can.

I've used the Sub1500s in HT duty at the standard 80Hz and in music systems at 50Hz... the LE14H-3 is excellent up into the mid frequencies, but it doesn't have the xmax to plumb the depths at any kind of power level.

Widget

I think this brings up the question what is the sub for? The LE14H-3 is a fantastic woofer, but it won't dip into the low 20s like a Sub1500 can.

I've used the Sub1500s in HT duty at the standard 80Hz and in music systems at 50Hz... the LE14H-3 is excellent up into the mid frequencies, but it doesn't have the xmax to plumb the depths at any kind of power level.

Widget
    As I pointed out IMO I don't feel the sub1500 is as detailed as the -3. The -3 goes into the 20's as long as there is some eq involved and the box is 5 cu ft and tuned to about 25hz. Again this is just my findings in my room.

OTOH the sub1500 will do this stuff in a much smaller box (2cu ft sealed) but eq is still needed to achive the 20's as useable FR.

I cross the -3's (2 of them) at 55hz and a boost of +6db at 25hz in my music room and it is very enjoyable to listen to. But as we all know what is best for me may very well not be to anyone elses liking.

I have yet to try some HTPS400's to see what they are like though...........

And who knows, I may like something else when I build the 1500AL bottoms to go with the 1200Fe's.
    Always fun learning more.......

LE-14 series drivers are very articulate in the bass region!

I had the LE-14-1's in L55 cabs and I was impresses.

The other sub drivers mentioned are different in how low and how much power they can handle, and total output.

I thought the 2242's I had were the most dynamic subs I ever heard.

For average listening I would prefer the LE-14's if high levels are not required.

My 1501Fe's are kind of like a cross between LE-14's/2226's if I could describe them so far.

Lots of good discussion in this thread!

Regards, Ron
    JBL Pro for home use!

Obsolete

Widget
    With respect to the LE14H in the L250/250Ti - "That thing goes damn near to DC..." Gotta love Timbersisms

You are theoretically correct though with respect to the LE14H used for sub duty. However, I personally have always thoroughly enjoyed the Citation 7.4 version. Can't say the same for the PS1400 version.

The Revel Gem using the SUB1500 is also supposed to be very good.

The 2245H was simply magical, I'll never forget that transducer. I liked it best of all. Nothing new does quite what it did.

Quote Originally Posted by spkrman57 View Post
    I thought the 2242's I had were the most dynamic subs I ever heard.
    "Those things aren't of this planet..."

Yeah, the first time I compared them to the 2245H I was really surprised at how clean they sounded. Too clean for me personally. They really weren't the replacement for the 2245H though. I forgot which model D.B. said replaced the 2245H - 2268H or 2269H, something like that. It all had to do with how they were to be used in Pro apps. With or without boundary reinforcement, the 2245H not needing any, the 2242H needing some. Same for their neo replacements.

Thread Information