breaking away from mid-fi hell. I am looking to set up a JBL/Altec based system paired with a sweet el84 or SET amp... on a budget (LOL...I know). I have heard the Altec model 19s, and a couple of JBLs (4343 and something else ?? ) and was floored by how damn good they sound. Very similar if not better sounding, in some respects, than the Devore/shindo/leben modern rigs, costing an easy 5 multiple of the vintage gear prices, I have heard.

I ask for advice because, as you know, with vintage gear it is difficult to audition several speakers, given their limited availability, let alone auditioning various speaker amp combos. There is a pair of 4315Bs available locally, however I am not sure if that is an ideal speaker to pair with a lower power tube amp given its sensitivity rating. the price is right however, and it would be substantially more expensive to move to the 43XX series 15" higher sensitivity models or even the model 19 (have yet to find one for less than $2500, ebayers and classified guys have just gone INSANE with their pricing, everyone is a flipper seems like).

I am also interested in fixer-uppers, but am hesitant to follow that path since original cone/surround/spider etc..kits are not available for most and I have no real reference for original re-cone sound vs generic/aftermarket re-cone sound. Is there a source for these original parts, how "close" can you get with aftermarket parts, and is there a good source for those as well?

Well the floor is yours, any advice would be greatly appreciated.