Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Faked-up early Altec Lansing 604 Duplex drivers in 612 cabinets? P U!

Faked-up early Altec Lansing 604 Duplex drivers in 612 cabinets? P U!

The rather silly and disingenuous practice of "relicing" new guitars to resemble old ones has become common ever since old Fenders, Gibsons, etc. became much more valuable than new ones. This sort of forgery has been quite rare in vintage audio until recently, limited mostly to faking old JBL bubbleback 375 compression drivers and 150-4C woofers using more modern parts. Now that more humdrum vintage pieces are starting to fetch big money the forgers are moving further into the market.

I would invite you to check out this current ebay auction:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/151139589477

This purports to be a pair of very early Altec 604s with black and white labels in period 612 utility cabinets, but I smell a very large rat. What follows is all just my opinion you understand, but based on fifteen plus years of studying this old gear obsessively.

The first 100 or so of the Altec 604 Duplex drivers, released in late 1944 or early 1945, used the black and white decal of the early 1940s Altec products. Here is a photo of a decal of what I believe to be a genuine early 604:

604#73-3.jpg

I hope the link works, though I'm lousy at computer stuff. A friend of mine owns three authentic pre-100 serial number 604s, so he and I have some idea of what is correct. I believe the auction pair of 604s to be run of the mill later 604s or 604Bs which the seller has attempted to present as ultra-rare early serial number specimens with faked black and white labels and cabinet badges. As far as we know, only the first 100 or so 604s used the black and white decal before the red, white and blue decals replaced them. These serial numbers of 170 and 182 conflict with our understanding. Note that the original label says "IMPED" for impedance, while the auction labels say "MPED"... Dohhh! Also the original decal has a black outer border, while the auction pair has a ragged white border.

The cabinets look like early 612 specimens that have been through WWII and Katrina. They may be old ones, or made last week, I dunno. The oxblood color "Lansing Sound Systems" labels were used on a few of the last Lansing Iconics built in 1941 or 1942, but are completely wrong for a 1944 or 1945 604-based system. I believe these badges to be new reproductions, carefully aged to appear beat up and seventy years old. Likewise the brass labels on the rear of the cabinets, which appear to be photographically derived from early Altec black and white decals, scream TILT! Never have I seen an old system with such a badge, nor any brass badge at all with an "Altec Lansing" ID. It seems that one of the first efforts of the new Altec Lansing Corp. was to reduce costs by replacing the beautiful Lansing brass, nickel plated and paint-filled badges with cheap decals.

Normally I wouldn't get bent out of shape about this stuff, but this seller IMO is attempting to hoodwink some unknowing (likely overseas) buyer into forking over FIFTEEN BIG ONES for a pair of moldy old 604s in utility cabinets. Also, the founders of this site have been attempting to accurately portray the history of Jim Lansing's contributions to the art with this site since the year 2000, and such phony, never-existed abortions like this just muddle the historical record for future interested parties.

Damn it, I've tried everything and I cannot get the saved image of an old 604 badge from my backup CD to post. Any ideas?

vvvv
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Jeez, the image finally appeared, I think. Screw computers!

The speaker stands in the auction are just plain silly. Nothing like this existed in the old days, Lansing badge or not. Buyer beware!

If anyone here has the skills, please add the pictures from the auction to this thread for historical purposes.

Name:  Altec 1.jpg
Views: 6063
Size:  60.4 KBName:  Altec 2.jpg
Views: 2449
Size:  46.8 KB

.Name:  Altec 2.jpg
Views: 2769
Size:  161.8 KBName:  Altec 1.jpg
Views: 2612
Size:  466.2 KB

Name:  Altec0.jpg
Views: 2455
Size:  487.2 KB

They also appear to be the ones posted in a Lansing Product Marketplace thread here.
    Oppo BDP-95 DCX-2496 RMX-850 Parasound A21 First Watt J2 Dayton RSS390HF-4 MTM Quads of SEAS W18E001 511Bs TAD TD-2002

Quote Originally Posted by fpitas View Post
    They also appear to be the ones posted in a Lansing Product Marketplace thread here.
    Yep - all the pix there are hosted externally and will go away when the seller decides.
    Amazing - all those pix are just pasted together into one huge tall Image! - 900px × 18604px! - 9 Meg worth
    http://www.lajazz.us/audio/YK/LANSING/LANSING_604/Mix.jpg

That tall image is too large to load here so I cut it into thirds in Photoshop ...

Name:  Mix-part1.jpg
Views: 2416
Size:  469.8 KB

Name:  Mix-Part2.jpg
Views: 2291
Size:  436.7 KB

Name:  Mix-Part3.jpg
Views: 2351
Size:  531.0 KB
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Thanks very much y'all for adding the pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schell View Post
    Thanks very much y'all for adding the pictures.
    Thanks for taking the time to point out the problems with these speakers. We all appreciate your knowledge.
    Oppo BDP-95 DCX-2496 RMX-850 Parasound A21 First Watt J2 Dayton RSS390HF-4 MTM Quads of SEAS W18E001 511Bs TAD TD-2002

Relevant Info ;

Quote Originally Posted by LaJazzRecords

[About LA JAZZ Record]

LA JAZZ Record is (la jazz record), the United States has been delivered to our Japan and overseas other than Hollywood (Hollywood), a product record, vintage audio, and related parts etc..
    With regard to product, make purchases around the home USA of JAZZ record mainly, and also focus on handling popular board by the original route, the rare panel, etc., every week, at any time goods than the record Stock thousands of pieces of I have exhibited.

America is there a holy place is also a treasure house of JAZZ code as you know.

This is true even if it led JBL of everyone familiar to audio equipment such as the ALTEC.

However, it is a state that many of them were still sleeping unfortunately also true.

Therefore, in our store, I belief that in order to discover many of audio equipment from valuable records that are hard to find in Japan, and wandered the entire United States as long as exhaustive of time, I would like to share also offer, to many people they There is.

Currently sells record around the Yahoo! auction, but in the home page of this place, I send it to every week pick up the goods which selected carefully, especially from within the auction.

Also, please feel free to contact us so we will also search instead behalf of our customers in our store.[Contact for e-mail reply etc.] With regard to the reply from our store, we try to reply within 24 hours except Saturday and Sunday except holidays. If the reply mail by any chance, from our shop does not reach, there is the possibility that mail is not delivered for some reason. In that case, sorry to trouble you, but resent the mail, or please contact us by telephone. ※ Please note that Japan, in Los Angeles between, because there is a time difference (16 hours if daylight saving time) for 17 hours. [About the handling of personal information]recognizes the importance of personal information on this site, I will handle it carefully in accordance with the following.

The personal information of customers who obtained this site, there is the thing that I am allowed to use e-mail from this site, to DM, such as sales activities, but it can be used for any other purpose is not. Also, if you do not want to receive e-mail, the DM, etc., will be suspended at any time if you can contact us directly. The personal information collected on this site, it is desirable to provide and never transferred to third parties is not. Comply with applicable laws and regulations with respect to personal information held, the norms, in accordance with changes in the social norms the content in each of the above items, this site does not neglect the effort to improve the purpose of personal information protection.

[Display based on specific trade law]

SX Investment Associates: ● distributors
    ● Company Established: April 1990
    California, Los Angeles: ● Location
    ● representative: (Saito Ken) Saito, Ken
    . 2404 Wilshire Blvd # 5C / #: ● Location 6C Los Angeles, CA 90056
    ● TEL: (310) 890-3149
    ● E-mail: Lajazzusaattoyahoo.Co.Jp

You should see the fake western electric altec 755.
    http://www.westernlabo.com/cgi-bin/s_shop_index.cgi

Quote Originally Posted by script56 View Post
    You should see the fake western electric altec 755.
    http://www.westernlabo.com/cgi-bin/s_shop_index.cgi
    Its a foreign site - be careful folks!
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Would they sound better than the S4700? I'd throw in a hundred unrelated photos of unrelated gear, but I'm tired.

Thread Information