Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Faked-up early Altec Lansing 604 Duplex drivers in 612 cabinets? P U!

Japanese...

EarlK, thanks much for the interesting info. The building at that address is fascinating; Google "American Cement Building." The linked video on Vimeo is just dynamite. Script56, thank you for the Western Labo link. I have been to their pages several times as they do some of the more interesting audio work in Japan. I think that reproducing old designs is great as long as the pieces are identified as such. Honoring is one thing; attempting to fool a buyer is another. Never had a problem with the site, but thank you Heather for your concern.

I receive emails from Stewart MacDonald, supplier of guitar tools and parts. They produce a series of neat videos on repair techniques. The link to this exceptionally good one arrived the other day, and shows how easily new wood can be made to look like old and vice versa. Not saying that the auction cabinets are not old ones, but it makes one wonder...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tViTWUL8Was

Agreed ! Hoodwinker's..
    "James B. Lansing" = Lansing Manufacturing ~ Altec Lansing ~ JBL

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schell View Post
    Not saying that the auction cabinets are not old ones, but it makes one wonder...
    I personally find the cabinets in the auction just too perfectly old lookin'. They look like props for a TV commercial. And strangely, they perfectly match the bases that we know are not "period". So, if the brand new base can be made to look perfectly old, then I suspect the same happened to the cabinets. The industry of greed and fake is booming...

Lee I agree, supplying inauthentic stands with similar aging and faked logos as the cabinets being passed off as original was not a smooth move. One with such talents needs to clarify his life's path between being a disingenuous forger or a respected restorer/duplicator. There is plenty of room in the world for the latter.

My knowledgeable friend has pointed out another Dohhhhh!!... "Frame to magnet screws should be Allen head, not slot fillister."

Isnt ebay supposed to cancel auctions that are selling fake items?

Thread Information