Thread: Forcing drivers to do things they are not made for

Forcing drivers to do things they are not made for

Today I received 4 JBL 2206H drivers from the UK. Sadly they was not properly packed and 2 of them was not usable anymore (crushed dust caps, deformed surrounds and stretched spiders) anyway, the remaining 2 was run trough a test session , first WT2 (within specs) and then I yanked out the 2214 woofers from my XPL 200`s and screwed them into the cabinets. a quick sim in Winisd showed a very weak low end so I did some serious boosting in that area with the active x over i uses for the XPL`s surprisingly enough the 2206`s does sound very good in these too large cabinets and with too low tuning. some flapping can be reached at loud volumes but with all that boosting in the low region that was expected. A fun experiment and a telltale on how versatile JBL drivers can be with some electronic coercion. maybe i use this experience on some 2242`s in the future if my 2245`s prove to be a disappointment (unlikely )

Quote Originally Posted by FE3T View Post
    Today I received 4 JBL 2206H drivers from the UK. Sadly they was not properly packed and 2 of them was not usable anymore (crushed dust caps, deformed surrounds and stretched spiders) anyway, the remaining 2 was run trough a test session , first WT2 (within specs) and then I yanked out the 2214 woofers from my XPL 200`s and screwed them into the cabinets. a quick sim in Winisd showed a very weak low end so I did some serious boosting in that area with the active x over i uses for the XPL`s surprisingly enough the 2206`s does sound very good in these too large cabinets and with too low tuning. some flapping can be reached at loud volumes but with all that boosting in the low region that was expected. A fun experiment and a telltale on how versatile JBL drivers can be with some electronic coercion. maybe i use this experience on some 2242`s in the future if my 2245`s prove to be a disappointment (unlikely )
    2206 doesn't mind gettin' raucous. Huge powerful low distortion motor on a very solid and well-behaved cone structure/suspension- great woofer if somewhat overdamped on the bottom end without eq.

Which means you prefer the 2206 to the 2214?

/mostly

2206 in 2214 Cabinet

If the 2206 drivers have a higher resonant frequency (Fs) than the 2214's, then you may want to reduce the cabinet volume, or change the port diameter and depth. Cabinet volume can be reduced by inserting large pieces of closed-cell foam or other objects to re-tune the cabinet to a higher Fs. If the drivers are "Flapping" then the cabinet is too big for them, larger than the Vas parameter, or the ports are not properly sized. It is easier to reduce cabinet volume. I have not worked with these drivers, but will try to help you with this if you will send me a reply. -sparky2-

Thanks for the offer sparky2. But this was just a way to test them in a cabinet. i have no plans to use them instead of the 2214`s in the xpl cabs

2206 vs. 2214

Okay, FE3T, you were just experimenting with the 2206 vs. 2214. I do the same type of tests. I visited your neighboring country two times. Maybe I will make it to Norway one day, I hope! Skol!

As mentioned. 2 of the 2206H drivers I bought had a rough trip and suffered some damages. I removed the crushed dust caps and the deformed surrounds, I was lucky enough to find the spiders unharmed when they got released from the force of the deformed surrounds. the drivers got 2214 surrounds, new dust caps and roughly 35 grams of Noisekiller Black painted on the back of the cone. I ended up with the following specs: FS 24,6hz, QTS 0,23, VAS 180L. Pic shows a simulation in 75L 33 hz tuning (my guestimate for the XPL 200 cab) the modded 2206 in red. 2214 in blue. both with voice coil inductance simmed and 2 order 250hz lowpass filter.. In the end I want to rant a bit, WHY cant I create breaks in lines or even make spaces betwin lines in this forum????
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Line Breaks?

I don't know about the line break thing, but the graph shows a green line and a blue line on my monitor. Are the colors on my monitor messed up?
    Guy in WNY

Quote Originally Posted by Guy in WNY View Post
    I don't know about the line break thing, but the graph shows a green line and a blue line on my monitor. Are the colors on my monitor messed up?
    Probably my monitor who makes me think the green line was red

Thread Information