Thread: Blu-Ray albums target hi-fi fans

Blu-Ray albums target hi-fi fans

An interesting article posted today on BBC's website. Wonder if this will take off unlike SACD and DVD audio. Read on...

Record companies are trying to tempt fans away from MP3s by releasing albums in a crystal-clear Blu-Ray format.

Nirvana's Nevermind and Amy Winehouse's Back To Black will be among the first records to be released in the format, which comes to the UK this month.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-24441979#

Obsolete
    Thanks for the link!

Yes laurie, thanks. It will be interesting to see if these are more of an enduring commercial success than for example, SACDs.
    Oppo BDP-95 DCX-2496 RMX-850 Parasound A21 First Watt J2 Dayton RSS390HF-4 MTM Quads of SEAS W18E001 511Bs TAD TD-2002

I borrowed the "Immersion Set - Dark Side of the Moon" , 6 disks ...CD , DVD-a and bluray . http://www.amazon.com/The-Dark-Side-.../dp/B004ZNARH4

they were all great , but I heard little difference between the DVD & BR versions. the huge improvement , I think , was going back to original master tapes ... booklet said the the original release LP/CD came off 3rd gen. tapes.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Nice idea but not sure if it will take off. One reason, people that use MP3's tend to be mobile and the other reason, how many times do manufacturers want us to keep changing formats?

Allan.

I call it a FAIL. The CD format was ditched in favour of MP3 not because the sound was better, but because there was no physical medium. Just data that can be moved, copied, organized... and grabbed for free.

The target market who uses Mp3s has no use of those new discs. Better sound? For sure. But what's the benefit when people listen to music thru ear buds?

But anyway. Thanks for the link and the info. ;-)

Funny - I was looking something else up the other day and Amazon popped up a page for a BluRay of XTC's album Nonsuch.

While I've enjoyed their music, not sure I need to but a $30 copy, even if it does come with a refreshed CD and the DVD copy

http://www.amazon.com/Nonsuch-Blu-ra...dp/B00EG0MVOI/

Presented in special packaging with an expanded booklet and sleeve-notes by Andy Partridge, Colin Moulding and Dave Gregory, this is the cd and blu-ray version.

* The album has been mixed for 5.1 Surround Sound from the original studio masters by Steven Wilson (Porcupine Tree) with the input of founder band member Andy Partridge and the full approval of the band.

* CD features a completely new stereo album mix by Steven Wilson and non-album track Didn't Hurt a Bit.

* Blu-Ray features:

- a 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio Surround (24bit/96khz) mixed from the original multi-track tapes.
    - the new stereo album mix in DTS-HD Master Audio (24bit/96khz).
    - exclusive instrumental versions of all new mixes in DTS-HD Master Audio stereo (24bit/96khz).
    - exclusive Andy Partridge home demos and Colin Moulding work tapes for songs written for the album and contemporaneously.
    - filmed footage of the band working on the album in Chipping Norton Studios.
    - promo films for The Ballad of Peter Pumpkinhead and The Disappointed also feature on the Blu-Ray.

===============================================

The Amazon page had links to BluRay copies of other albums like YES: Close to the Edge and such ...
    I do know the Steve Wilson remasters I have heard so far have been stunningly good - and the surround mixes very nice!
    (King Crimson, Caravan's Land of the Grey and Pink, etc)
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee in Montreal View Post
    I call it a FAIL.
    It isn't a fail for the derp that dropped forty grand or more on their hi-fi system.
    They'll finally have some media worth playing.

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    It isn't a fail for the derp that dropped forty grand or more on their hi-fi system.
    They'll finally have some media worth playing.
    Agreed and guilty as charged... so I'm a derp?

Widget

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    Agreed and guilty as charged... so I'm a derp?

Widget
    Yep! I only dropped $38k so this tech doesn't apply to me.

Seriously though... this is what CD's should have been right out of the gate.

Quote Originally Posted by Allanvh5150 View Post
    how many times do manufacturers want us to keep changing formats?
    At this point, if it isn't a flat file then it is a complete waste of resources. Every CD, DVD or vinyl record sold should include a littering tax.

I expect in the not-too-distant future some folks will smirk when I tell them I listened to music from shiny spinning disks shot at by a dinky laser.

I am hoping I can hold on long enough to see that holographic poly-phonic recording will force a resurgence of the live-in-studio recording style.
    David F
    San Jose

Quote Originally Posted by DavidF View Post
    I expect in the not-too-distant future some folks will smirk when I tell them I listened to music from shiny spinning disks shot at by a dinky laser.

I am hoping I can hold on long enough to see that holographic poly-phonic recording will force a resurgence of the live-in-studio recording style.
    But will that holographic poly-phonic recording work on an Ipod?
    XPL 200's w DX1, XPL 160's, XPL 140's, L7's, L5's, L3's, L1's Homemade L Center, 4412's, 4406, L60T's, L20T's

Thread Information