Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Array 1400 Using Stock SAM1HF, LE14H-3, and passive 2-way Crossover?

Quote Originally Posted by reconed View Post
    Thanks for sharing your project. It's very encouraging. I'm putting together a parts list for the crossover networks, and I noticed you used air-core inductors in the low frequency crossover. What are the specs for these and where did you get them? I'm considering the Erse SuperQ ferrite cores.
    I bought 12mH [edit, that's 12 awg] coils directly from Erse. I looked to see if they still listed them before posting but did not find them. They were an oversupply closeout wound to 4 & 6 mH that I unwound to the right value. I used a meter I have on hand to confirm the amount of wire to remove. They were both below the ohm spec.

I would consider using the steel laminate core over the ferrite if you go with cored coils. I have used the Erse 16awg laminates with good results.
    David F
    San Jose

Which Schematic Is Correct for the Stock Array 1400 Network?

I guess there are really no shortcuts, and I don't want to compromise the performance.

I think this is the correct schematic for the stock Array 1400 crossovers.
    http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...643-1400-Array (post #10)

I've been putting together a parts list and finding the components.

I saw a picture of the Array 1400 LF crossover which uses air-core inductors. In pictures of your (Robh3606) crossover I noticed some ferrite core inductors. How important is the core type for the large inductors in these crossovers? Is low DCR more important? The 14 gauge air core inductors available have a DCR of about 0.52 ohms, and the schematic shows a DCR of 0.45 ohms, is the difference significant enough to go to 13 gauge wire inductors or switch to ferrite core inductors with lower DCR?
    The schematic in the link above shows a C1 = 56uF, but the schematic in the pdf file "Technical Manual1400 Array Project Array™ Series" show C1 = 47uF. Which is correct, why is there a difference?

Charge Coupling Question

Of course! - I have thoroughly studied that thread already. Nice looking job. Did you finish the cabs and mount the xo's in full view? Pictures of the final product?
    http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...400-Array-XO-s

JuniorJBL:
    Did you replace the 47uF capacitor which is an NPE on the stock network with the "charge coupled" equivalent? I looked at your pictures and it does not look like you did. Is that standard practice when charge coupling or just a matter of being practical?

Obsolete
    The schematic in the link above shows a C1 = 56uF, but the schematic in the pdf file "Technical Manual1400 Array Project Array™ Series" show C1 = 47uF. Which is correct, why is there a difference?
    The EDS is stamped 04/05 while the Technical Manual is stamped 11/06. I'd go with the revision.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...400-Array-XO-s

JuniorJBL:
    Did you replace the 47uF capacitor which is an NPE on the stock network with the "charge coupled" equivalent? I looked at your pictures and it does not look like you did. Is that standard practice when charge coupling or just a matter of being practical?

I just used Jantzen Crosscaps for most of the XO (and Dayton where I could not get the Jantzen values I wanted) and yes I used the newer revision at 56uf. I did not feel the extreme extra cost would benefit me in any way since I was using a quality cap. You could run by-pass with film/foil if you so desired.

BTW I did not use any NPE's in my XO's.
    Always fun learning more.......

Finished My Charge Coupled Stock Array1400 Networks

Well I finally finished the networks - better late than never! Now I will test them and get started on the cabinets.

I want to thank this website and its members for making this project possible.

Name:  IMG_1600.jpg
Views: 882
Size:  134.9 KBName:  IMG_1598.jpg
Views: 815
Size:  134.3 KBName:  IMG_0281.jpg
Views: 883
Size:  92.7 KB

That was a lot of work. Nice job.

Yeah, it does look like a lot of work . Especially how you have everything compact on the boards. I just couldn't work that kind of magic.
    David F
    San Jose

Thanks for the compliments! I did my best to keep the wires short. I drew the layout in CAD. Those boards are still not small - 7.5" x 11" each. I'm looking forward to building the cabs now.

Even though building a 1400 array clone is work, it is also one of the more fun speaker builds I have done. Purchased the SAM1HF and LE14H-3 from Widget last summer.

I made the cab volume 4.2 cu ft., same as 250ti. Better bass extension than the factory 1400 array at 3.2 cu ft. although I did not try to compare volumes. My opinion is they were meant to be paired with the 1500 array sub. If you are using a sub then the smaller volume seems to be appropriate, otherwise if your not, go with the larger.

Larry,
    Nice looking cabinets. Thanks for the advice on the volume. I'm used to my performance series PS1400 / PT800 stacks which have great bass and I don't plan to add a sub, so I think I will use a little more volume to extend the bass. I was planning a 3.6 cu ft volume, maybe I'll look at increasing that.
    Ross

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryM View Post
    I made the cab volume 4.2 cu ft., same as 250ti.
    Excellent choice! Gotta love DIY eh?

I put the SAM's on top of the Citation 7.4 cabs with -3 drivers. It was really awesome.

Some of the best low frequency I have ever listened to without a sub in the system IMO.

Congrats on the build!
    Always fun learning more.......

Distance between horn and woofer?

I'm starting to build my bass cabinets and need one more bit of information: What's the vertical distance between the bottom edge of the horn and the top of the woofer on the Array 1400?

I'm starting to build my bass cabinets and need one more bit of information: What's the vertical distance between the bottom edge of the horn and the top of the woofer on the Array 1400?
    1-1/2"
    Eyeballing the distance from center of VC to center of VC is about 16-1/4". You also need to pay attention to the VC alignment vertically, keeping them both in the same vertical plane.

Thread Information