Thread: altec model nineteen

altec model nineteen

hi everybody
    i'm new here and new to altec speakers, too. let's say i've always been more on the british side of sound (kef, rogers, tannoy) but the opportunity to get a nice pair of nineteen kinda changed the stakes.
    it's a first owner set, purchased in london in the early eighties then kept in the family until room and reason forced them out. they had been surviving in a basement full of motorbikes for a few years down in southwest france until i rescued them last week. always funny how audio gear comes up, disappear and travel worldwide sometimes.
    except for a few age marks and silence after all these years - i'll have the x-overs checked pretty soon - they play nicely.
    i thought the 99 db would be an easy load but it's actually trickier than that. double SE of EL84 failed, sugden 21A failed, an smsl 50w chip-amp sounded ok but not that exciting... they finally really opened up with Heathkits MA-12 monoblocks (EL84) and what a treat! super imaging, bottom bass and every note, breath, scratch or thump more "here" and alive than ever before.

a few pics of the first listening sessions. feedback and advice will be much appreciated!

Name:  altec19b.jpg
Views: 666
Size:  353.0 KB Name:  altec19a.jpg
Views: 612
Size:  381.9 KB

Congratulations!

Welcome to the Forum... the Model 19 is a popular one, you will find a fair amount of info here.

There is also Todd White's Altec specific site.

Widget

Thread Information