Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: JBL 4435 Help

My L pads are good - no noise, static or any form of change when turning the L-Pad pots. I think i'll leave well alone

For the rest of the speaker alignment I have the measurement tools/tones/ software so that's what I'll do tomorrow!

Thanks for the great advice.

Cheers.

Matt.

My 4430's benefitted from a re-cap, but the most dramatic difference happened when I cleaned the bi-amp switch. They are very prone to oxidation. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Chas View Post
    My 4430's benefitted from a re-cap, but the most dramatic difference happened when I cleaned the bi-amp switch. They are very prone to oxidation. Good luck.
    Bi-amp switch!? - do you mean the selector that you need to turn 90 degrees with a flat head screwdriver to bypass the internal cross-over?

Thanks for telling me though!

Quote Originally Posted by jsteele3200 View Post
    Bi-amp switch!? - do you mean the selector that you need to turn 90 degrees with a flat head screwdriver to bypass the internal cross-over?

Thanks for telling me though!
    ....and was it just one side? - or cleaning increased performance on both sides?

do you mean the selector that you need to turn 90 degrees with a flat head screwdriver to bypass the internal cross-over?
    That's the one. You can try to get in there to clean it, or just run it back and forth between positions a few times. Only one of mine
    has ever acted up this way. A permanent hard-wired switch-bypass would be even better.

Quote Originally Posted by jsteele3200 View Post
    I simply bypassed that switch. HUGE improvement. Details and photos here:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=537606

In general I would say that aluminium is less harsh than titanium, exchanging the 2421 for the 2425 would not bring any improvements in the harshness area I'd say. You would then go from Alnico to Ferrite, and I'd definitely stay with the Alnico 2421.

Film caps do not age as some electrolytes do, so if you want to change caps, go for the electrolytes.

Worst offender might be the biamp switch.

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    the back of the compression driver should have the part number sprayed on it in white ink
    (or less likely, a "foilcal" with the part and serial number on it)

Given the serial numbers referenced in the URL below, there's a fair chance yours are aluminum diaphragms.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...l=1#post135799

Wow that looks like my basement

Quote Originally Posted by frank23 View Post
    In general I would say that aluminium is less harsh than titanium, exchanging the 2421 for the 2425 would not bring any improvements in the harshness area I'd say. You would then go from Alnico to Ferrite, and I'd definitely stay with the Alnico 2421.

Film caps do not age as some electrolytes do, so if you want to change caps, go for the electrolytes.

Worst offender might be the biamp switch.
    I have recently cleaned the bi-amp switch in one of my 4343's and was surprised as I haven't noticed any sonical differences between both speakers.
    The best idea would be to just by-pass the switch and of course install some high grade binding posts.

You might try leaving all the digital stuff out for test, preferable the parasound stuff too, I used to have a Parasound digital pre and 2 HCA 3500's, my 4430's sounded horrid with that combo. I found out that it was the parasound setup when a friend brought an old Accuphase pre, next step was replacing the HCA3500's with an QSC EX4000, that made such a HUGE difference that I sold the paraound stuff the next day. And yes it sounded harsh, it lacked lowend, was like the woofers where on a brake somehow. if you go upgrade that filter, its expensive, but I liked the investment , I had a 2,5mm2 coil made for me , the 2235 liked that big coil. Although in a Dual 15"that might get VERY expensive )
    Recenty I also bought the white Audyn-cap's Plus, was a huge improvement over metal film in my network.
    I tried aftrmarket dia's once, just to see how horrid they where (if) and yes I cant recomend them.

Thread Information