Thread: Altec Lansing Model 1 loudspeakers any good?

Altec Lansing Model 1 loudspeakers any good?

I'm thinking about buying a pair of Altec Lansing Model 1 loudspeakers. I did the research and they are a acoustic suspension sealed box w/ a 8" woofer, and 2" tweeter in 4" frame. They are pretty compact which interests me. They also only have 84db efficiency. What do you think of the sound quality vs. an AR or Advent loudspeaker from same vintage?

I just picked up a pair of Model 1's locally.
    Cabinets are perfect w/ no scratches or veneer nicks, but they are dull from cleaning and need refinishing. Drivers are perfect w/ no damage. This is the reason I bought them.
    My first impression listening to classical FM from a Rotel tuner w/ Hafler pre and HK power is a very very nice bass, musical and tight. Midrange is very nice too. I couldn't stop listening they were so involving. The high are are it's weakness and a bit harsh.
    The crossover is only one resistor and one cap so I will replace the cap with Solen or something smoother. Any recommendations? I have some Kimber and Audioquest wire I will also rewire with one or the other.
    These are very nice overlooked acoustic suspension speakers similar to AR4x in design and size. They may even be better.

I had (may still have ?) a pair of those. Remember them as punchy and dynamic.

the tweet did have a thin cloth cover over it to help tame the highs, I guess.
    it looked like original.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

No cloth over tweeter in mine or photos I've seen, but it does have a cork ring around to control diffractions. Now I didn't listen w/ grill cloths in place. It's not that they were bright, more just not smooth. I see what looks to be nice Altec Santana phenolic replacement tweeter that look pretty nice. Could this be an option, as I think the bass and midrange is very nice.

Thread Information