Thread: Emeli Sandé - Our Version of Events

Emeli Sandé - Our Version of Events

I'm going to make this very short and sweet. This album is amazing if you love female vocalists! I have never heard anything that sounded this good come out of my rig before last night.

I'm so inspired that I will buy the first 3 members the song "Breaking The Law" (I know.. I know... I couldn't get over the Judas Priest reference either... totally not the same) from Amazon on MP3 that want it and care to honestly write about their opinions... PM me and it's done. I'll spend $5 to spread the word of this amazing vocalist if you want to share your impressions. (I'll paypal you $1.50 to legally try it out...)

http://www.amazon.com/Breaking-the-L...eaking+the+law

That's how amazing I think that song, and album, are... If you don't want my $1.50, that's cool. Check it out anyhow! She blows Whitney Houston, Adele, Diana Ross, and just about any other female vocalist I can think of out of the water. Plus, she has a freaky blonde Mohawk!

Quote Originally Posted by Maxwelhse View Post
    I'm going to make this very short and sweet. This album is amazing if you love female vocalists! I have never heard anything that sounded this good come out of my rig before last night.

I'm so inspired that I will buy the first 3 members the song "Breaking The Law" (I know.. I know... I couldn't get over the Judas Priest reference either... totally not the same) from Amazon on MP3 that want it and care to honestly write about their opinions... PM me and it's done. I'll spend $5 to spread the word of this amazing vocalist if you want to share your impressions. (I'll paypal you $1.50 to legally try it out...)

http://www.amazon.com/Breaking-the-L...eaking+the+law

That's how amazing I think that song, and album, are... If you don't want my $1.50, that's cool. Check it out anyhow! She blows Whitney Houston, Adele, Diana Ross, and just about any other female vocalist I can think of out of the water. Plus, she has a freaky blonde Mohawk!
    Man... I'm crushed... 29 views and nobody wants my $1.50?

FREE MUSIC!!!

Really, I do think so highly of that song (and artist) that I'll pay people to check it out. I have no affiliation to the music industry or Amazon.

She's good. Thanks. FWIW, a full version is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4e6j3kkpDRI

Allow me to share one of my favorites, Lizz Wright, if you aren't already familiar:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPpeaETF1qE
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

I was not familiar and I thank you for the recommendation!

I DIG IT (even on my crappy Cambridge Soundworks PC speakers + youtube compression) it sound pretty great!

I just bought her album "The Orchard" for $4.27! I can't wait to audition the rest of it on some real speakers!

Man... I love the internet/iPhone age.. No one wants CDs anymore! $0.27 for that album before shipping is a steal if I like 2 other songs off of it!

edit: Thanks for adding the youtube link... Again, even with my totally crap PC rig I'm mesmerized with that song. The rest of the album ain't too shabby either.

Checked it out on Rhapsody. As close as I have ever come to liking anything of that genre is Everything But The Girl, and I admit that is not close. While nothing like this either, I find Lissie to be much more earnst in an honest and far less produced way. Maria Pia De Vito is the best singer I have ever heard, but she is Jazz and World, sort of. To me this singer oversouls a bit, but that is my taste.

I do thank you for the opportunity to find something else to listen to! I am sure she is a real talent, but what she sings leaves me cold, like listening to a commercial. Partly because this CD is painfully overproduced. Even Clown ends up being inundated with strings. This music reminds me of the late Whitney Houston; she had a rare set of pipes, but used them to sing really bullshit music. She might do an acoustic CD. She does have the talent to do that, and she would stand out from the crowd if she did it as well as she would - if she listened to people who are not currently trying to make a star out of her.

To hear what a talented, earnest singer can do without production, catch the Lissie appearance on Jools Holland singing Oh Mississippi on YouTube. She conveys what she needs to without breaking glass or yielding to an airplay stereotype style of any kind. Emeli could exhibit the same honest emotion, I am sure. But on this CD she sounds to me like a superior voice singing the same old stuff as everyone else. Lest you think that Lissie is some California brat trying to act authentic, she grew up humbly in Rock Island, Illinois (on the Mississippi). not far from my prairie community of Peoria.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCMQTzyn5jU

I often listen to African American singers, but more like Sarah Vaughn, (young) Lena Horne or June Tyson. I guess my opinion is worthless because I was never a pop music guy until Alt erupted as the child of Velvet Underground by way of The Pretenders. In fact, I am just old. Ignore me. I like PJ Harvey, Johnette Napolitano and Chicago Blues. And I am obsessed with what Robert Plant called "Honest Music." That puts me so far out of the mainstream music business I should dig a hole and crawl into it.
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

Quote Originally Posted by Ducatista47 View Post
    Checked it out on Rhapsody. As close as I have ever come to liking anything of that genre is Everything But The Girl, and I admit that is not close.
    I'm a huge Everything But the Girl fan (and Tracey Thorn solo) and I don't even close to understand that correlation beyond the first track off the Our Version of Events, once you get past EBTG Amplified Heart (past that album is where I really think the band hit their stride)...

Partly because this CD is painfully overproduced. Even Clown ends up being inundated with strings.
    Wow... I can't believe how different our views are... I have actually raved about how much I enjoyed the production work on this album! Clown stands out to me as a very pure vocal production. I confess that I'm not nearly as educated as many in terms of technical audio production, but "inundated with strings" seems like an exaggeration. I've attended many concerts with live orchestras, with NO amplification, and if nothing else the strings in reality would actually be quite a bit louder.

To hear what a talented, earnest singer can do without production, catch the Lissie appearance on Jools Holland singing Oh Mississippi on YouTube. She conveys what she needs to without breaking glass or yielding to an airplay stereotype style of any kind.
    As of about 30 minutes ago I became a Lizzie fan... I'm more than willing to audition any of her work and strongly believe I would enjoy most of it. I'm just not sure that an A vs. B argument is appropriate here.

Emeli could exhibit the same honest emotion, I am sure.
    You can call me nuts if you like, but the most emotional female vocalists I've ever heard are Bonnie Raitt and Shawn Colvin... I'm not claiming that Emeli is there yet, but I don't think she's dead inside either..

I often listen to African American singers, but more like Sarah Vaughn, (young) Lena Horne or June Tyson. I guess my opinion is worthless because I was never a pop music guy until Alt erupted as the child of Velvet Underground by way of The Pretenders. In fact, I am just old. Ignore me. I like PJ Harvey, Johnette Napolitano and Chicago Blues.

I'm not going to ignore you because you listed off 3 bands I really enjoy, that most people have never heard (Everything But The Girl REALLY shocked me) in this message. I'm just confused as all hell.

Next you're going to tell me you're a big Soul Coughing fan... at that point, we're going to have to find a place to get drunk enough to understand each other!

Anyhow, I'm not trying to start an argument with this response... You have genuinely just dead confused me... I'm glad you at least checked it out. It's cool if you don't care for it.

P.S. My fiance will be home from school tomorrow night and she's way amped up to hear Our Version of Events at home. She's not at all an audiophile so I will be quite curious to hear what she thinks. Maybe I am a raving loon after all?

Yeah, I just couldn't think of anything I listen to that was at all related to this singer's style. EBTG's only connection was the chanteuse connection and the dance element. Not so much as a style, but as in music some people might like to dance to. I never saw anyone dancing to John Coltrane or Sun Ra. The comparisons weren't thin, they were nonexistent! I will admit I was comparing to the entire CD, not just a single cut. I listened to the whole thing.

No criticism of the singer or your taste was implied. but I do think she could step out of the mold her style is boxing her into. I suppose selling music involves as little style deviation as possible from what most people want to hear. Doing what a lot of other people do, but better, is OK but that is not why we remember Dylan, Charlie Parker, Coltrane, The Pretenders, PJ Harvey, Sonic Youth or Otis Redding. They did it differently, and at this late stage of my life that is what holds my interest. So when I am exposed to a new talent - thanks again for that - I wish they would step out of the mold and do something special, not just do something ordinary especially well.

Ah, the strings. I have an unpopular take on strings. I know most musicians want them because I read what a famous - was it a promoter or an A & R man? - said. "They all want strings on their recordings sooner or later. Every one. Charlie Parker even wanted strings." Yes he did, and the result was like lipstick on a pig. The white producers at Brunswick Records butchered and diluted almost every Jackie Wilson recording with string sections, and only his genius renders the records listenable at all. It sounds like a great musician with strings incongruously stuck on, and it is. BTW, Jackie Wilson may have been the bridge from R & B into Soul music.

My aversion involves the native sensibilities of working with Afro-Cuban rhythms. That would include Blues, Rock, R & B and most Jazz. I love Baroque, Classical and 20th Century concert hall music - not romantic, however, where strings bloated the orchestras to a hundred pieces. It just seems to me that Afro-Cuban based music and European string sections do not belong in the same room. My personal opinion is that it borders on bad taste. But I am old and death will come to me probably centuries before massed strings on popular music are no more, so no one should care.

Thread Information