Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Lansing Speakers in Films and TV

Classic Albums Series.....

Quote Originally Posted by dancing-dave
    studio scene which also features the TONTO synthesizer; which is the main weapon of choice for Stevie Wonder in "Songs in the Key of Life.".
    Someone else has seen the "Classic Albums" DVD series (or you are just a huge Stevie Fan like me)....

For those not in the know, there's a series of DVD's called "Classic Albums" where they get a band and everyone involved back in the studio to talk about really key albums of their career. Netflix has most of them and I've seen probably 10 or 12. The standouts include:

Steely Dan - Aja
    Stevie Wonder - Songs in the Key of Life
    FleetWood Mac - Rumours

It's great to see them sit down at the board and go through a song with you to point out different things.
    Stevie (the f*ing amazing musician he is) finds a bad note buried in a mix that most humans would never notice.

There are also some great jam sessions on some of the discs....

Check 'em out - they are worth watching !

jblnut

dancing-dave
    I'm a big Stevie Wonder fan. "Songs in the Key of Life" has to be one of my all time favorite albums right up there with "Interstellar Space" and "A Love Supreme" by John Coltrane. Aaaaah sweet sweet music. Time to get Stevie playing on the platter.

I'll definitely check those DVDs out. Good looking out.

off topic in off topic

ok ,

here are some A7 with multicellulars and some undefined "trumpets"

BTW: the guy on the right side is not me........it's Mr. William Perks (later Bill Wyman)

HP
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Please help us save more info about the vintage systems. Let us register your speakers and drivers.

I have it on good authority that a Lansing Iconic (utility version, horn on top) appears briefly in the 1956 sci fi movie "Phantom From Space". I plan to buy the DVD and suffer through the movie if need be to find that Iconic!

JBL Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by dancing-dave
    I'm a big Stevie Wonder fan.
    Ditto! Up there with Fagen & Becker on my all-time favs list. I just got done listening to "Do I Do" with special guest Dizzy Gillespie on the 4430's in the "Dog house". Stevie Wonder is a genius!

Back to topic, the wifey claims she may have seen a Paragon in a Doris Day movie. She said it may have been "Pillow Talk" with Rock Hudson, or one she co-starred with James Garner (can't remember the name). "Pillow Talk" came out in 1959 and Doris Day's name on this list as a proud owner of JBL speakers from this 1967 brochure, so it is definitely possible there's a Paragon (or some other large format JBL) in the movie:

http://www.lansingheritage.org/image...ome/page23.jpg
    This message comes from JBL Dog

A JBL L100 can be seen in the background in a living room scene where an amazingly flexible girl contorts herself in the latest M&M "M-azing" candy bar commercials.
    Paying debt to Karma...

The next time you see some early Elvis ('56) footage of him performing live with his band (Bill Black, D.J.Fontana and Scotty Moore) ...two clips come to mind,
    an Ed Sullivan appearance and another in what appears to be outside on a flatbed truck..check Scotty's tweed Fender guitar amp and you'll see that silver centerdome shining through...in all probability a D130.

I don't think Fender amps came factory equipped with JBL's until the introduction of the Showman Amp in '61 so it's possible he had one installed...the earliest example I know of.

I saw a gray A7 on a stage in the recent movie, "Ray" (Ray Charles). Probably one of two on each side of the stage. The soundtrack to this movie is excellent, by the way. Didn't notice which brand of monitors were on the walls in any of the recording studio scenes, of which there are many. . . .

djrobertc
    I was watching the Simpsons last night and I could SWEAR that I saw L100s in the livingroom next to the door... Ill try to take a screenshot when I get home.

L112 in the record store where the main character works in the NBC show "Committed"

djrobertc
    Quote Originally Posted by John B
    L112 in the record store where the main character works in the NBC show "Committed"
    OO!!! I saw that as well, but tivo didnt catch it so i wasnt sure what it was.

Steve Gonzales

Shall we dance?

I just saw this movie and it shows a Bryston 3B or 4B and some JBL EON's in the dance studio.

transducergeek

"BREAKING POINT" ? Circa 1967??? Los Angeles scene..

I think I glimpsed a set of JBL ??? They were mounted under a roof or eave of a house outside by a pool... I don't know the model yet, but they were mid 60's "outdoor"/indoor models, very 60's modern design, possibly made of metal/plastic? With two square chambers, with what I think were 8" .... LE8T's I am guessing? I vaguely seem to visualize a brochure with a "tilt" stand for them when used on the floor... The movie had Lee Marvin in it as I recall...Anyone know this one..? This is my favorite "sighting" of JBL's in movies.. rather subtle...

L80

The model you're refering to is the L80 Caprice. It consisted of two wooden cubes (four for stereo) One cube contained an LE8T. It connected by a tube to the other cube which contained an PR8 passive radiator. It could be used freestanding or mounted on it's own chrome plated base.

I get so irritated when I see an ad for a JBL product that states "RARE" when in actuality it is quite common and can routinely be found on eBay. This model IS, in my opinion, rare indeed...I've never ever seen one...only in old catalogs(ca.69-70).

Another model which would truly be classified as rare is Model C52...the Opus.
    It was fairly compact weighing in at around 35 lbs. The woofer side(LE10B) was fitted with the stylish wooden lattice grill and the tweeter side(LE75-LE85) sported the black L92 lens . I've only seen one in an old photo...and the owner lived in Europe.

I'd love to hear from any forum member that has seen a pair...or better yet , owns some.

Russ Howard

Phantom from Space

Well, I broke down and ordered the DVD and sure enough, there's the Iconic. They used the same still shot of it several times, whenever a field investigator was reporting the whereabouts of the Phantom- a guy in a silver suit with a diving helmet- to the officials at the base station. I'm not sure why they indicated the use of a wide band studio monitor for receiving car radio transmissions, but it is best not to analyze this movie logically. You know how many old sci-fi movies are so bad they're good? Not this one. It features uniformly bad acting, horrible boring script and mostly indoor shots of cops smoking cigarettes and wondering there the Phantom could be. It was worth the $5.95 though for the shot of the Iconic. It is a standard utility model, though the smooth finish on the cabinet looks to be a refinishing job, and the coarse grill covering the woofer is unlike any I have seen. Cool looking old style woofer dust cap with the small vent hole... yes!

Thread Information