Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lansing Speakers in Films and TV

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Lansing Speakers in Films and TV

The Rock Star thread got me thinking about a related topic. Which Lansing speakers have you spotted in films or on TV shows? Off the top of my head, I can think of three:

That 70's Show -JBL L88's
    High Fidelity - John Cusack's home stereo sports JBL 4425's
    The Conversation - Gene Hackman using Altec A7's to play back his surveillance tapes.
    Regards

Don McRitchie

Wall Street

One of the cuts of Wall Street showed some JBL830's in Charlie Sheen's upgraded apartment....

jblnut

Pair of L112s spotted on "That's So Raven" on the Disney channel. They're in the high school "radio station"...

Regards,
    Gordon

Re: Lansing Speakers in Films and TV

Originally posted by Don McRitchie The Conversation - Gene Hackman using Altec A7's to play back his surveillance tapes.
    I think they were not the A7's but rather the speaker designed for soffit mounting with the two twelves and the 811 below.

Maybe later tonight I will play my tape and check it out.

David

Ski
    I think there are a pair of A-7s in the studio when The Brady Six go to record.

I just checked The Conversation. It's neither an A7 nor the 9844. It is an Altec horn, the 511, I think, not enclosed, fastened to the top of what looks like a home-made enclosure for a low frequency driver. Whatever drivers are in it are covered by grille cloth. The enclosure is too small for twelve-inch woofers. This rig is suspended above the workbench in Call's shop.

Also in this movie, in Harry Call's apartment, is a bass reflex speaker which I believe is a Tannoy coaxial. It is driven by an old Bell mono integrated tube amp, the kind with the control knobs coming out of the side of the chassis and the tubes and transformers perched on top with no cage. Call listens to jazz over this system and plays along with his sax.

David

It may be the only way to juice this thread is to broaden the discussion to recognizable hi fi in general. Even then I can't think of much. In High Fidelity there is the classic Sansui integrated amp, the Au717, I think.

I believe it was the movie Paper Chase in which the Donald Sutherland character had Dynaco tube electronics that were briefly though clearly shown.

The sparsity of these cinema events I think points to the fact that nothing in a film set is accidental, and so if there is no reason for recognizable hi fi to be there, it is not there. In the last example the Dynaco electronics is seen right at the moment the Ryan O'Neal character discovers the Sutherland character is boffing his girlfriend, so I would guess the set designer is including a sem for ironical contrast to the import of the scene, infidelity.

In the case of The Conversation, the theme of the movie is the relation between art and reality, their indeterminant relation. In this case the art is recorded audio. In the scene where the Altec horn appears the camera slowly pans to it and then the scene fades with that image. Obviously the director thinks it's important and our seeing it is not incidental. As we watch Caul working with his tapes we are hearing snatches of the conversation, but in the movie that is indistinguishable from the realism of the film. Panning to the speaker emphasizes that Caul is attempting to reconstruct a reality by piecing together parts of his tapes, and we are meant to realize that the film is made in exactly the same way, so there is an important thematic reason for the Altec horn to be there.

I have played this same game with photography equipment and can remember films in which Rollei twin lens (Hard Day's Night) and Leica M (Passion Fish ) have appeared. That reminds me that this film, The Conversation, is in effect a remake of Antonioni's Blow-Up (I'm refraining from saying "ripoff") in which the same theme is played out using photography (Hasselblad and Nikon, I think). Other similarities between the movies are beginning with mime, the fact that both are murder mysteries with unresolved endings, and in the end the artist/protagonist is enmeshed in the indeterminantcy.

David
    Last edited by speakerdave; 10-17-2004 at 12:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by speakerdave View Post
    It may be the only way to juice this thread is to broaden the discussion to recognizable hi fi in general. <SNIP>

David
    How about references to hi fi?

I submit Frank Zappa's classic "It looks just like a Telefunken U47."

JBL 4645
    Oh, a new entry I don’t have any screenshot captures of it but I saw it around a friends last night on channel 5 I think?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0322330/

It was towards the end of the film there was some kind or rock music thingy at one of those outdoors live PA. There was I think I counted three shots of what looked like JBL JRX 15” bass mind on tripod.

First it showed a quarter of the JBL speaker then a more fuller shot view of it and I thought to myself. That looks like a JRX series.

So its called Freaky Friday (2003).

"Runaway Bride": RCA MI-12499 Studio Monitor

Not JBL, but in Richard Gere's apartment in NY, he has a single vintage RCA studio monitor.

Quote Originally Posted by farleybob View Post
    "Runaway Bride": RCA MI-12499 Studio Monitor
    Not JBL, but in Richard Gere's apartment in NY, he has a single vintage RCA studio monitor.
    Well, its a thread about Lansing speakers seen in film and TV.
    So why post about an RCA - do you have a picture of it from the movie?

I mean, other than this one -
    http://www.oswaldsmillaudio.com/imag...07/MI12499.pdf
    Freq resp 50-13kc

BTW - contrary to what the others are saying,
    it wasn't a vicious snap at you, it was just a comment, right.
    After all, I did go to Oswald's site and look it up.
    But if you can do a screen cap of the movie and post it ...
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Obsolete
    Originally posted by speakerdave
    It may be the only way to juice this thread is to broaden the discussion to recognizable hi fi in general.
    I'm always looking out for the B&O gear.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Giskard
    I'm always looking out for the B&O gear.
    No offence meant, but that rather looks like a Black & Decker table saw.

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Giskard
    No offense taken but I do have to ask why the fuck I waste my time with this shithole forum...

I am definitely done posting here.
    ???

Now wait a minute...are we talking about the movie, or did you just take umberage thinking I have something against B&O? I don't, it was a casual observation, and I wouldn't mean to rile you. Sorry.

Do Electronics Count ?

Just thought I would mention an Altec mixer shown during the Los Angeles radio station scene in the movie "That Thing You Do".

Also shown were Altec microphones and a V.O.T. enclosure.

Oldmics

Thread Information