Thread: No Direction Home

No Direction Home

OK ....I'm a somewhat Bob Dylan quasi-fan and I'm not a big fan of Martin
    Scorsese , but I was happy to give the film "No Direction Home" a try.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_Direction_Home

I had higher hopes for it than actually realized, since it did receive awards.

So I finished up all 200 minutes of it , and really learned nothing new about BD. It starts at early years and stops at 1966 ? what ? he did nothing after 1966 ?

MS is listed as "Director". I don't really know what he did. The footage had nothing to do with him. There was a team of editors. I guess maybe MS selected what clips to be included ? Feels like he was brought on board to add a name to the production.

Many of those interviewed were not identified or the relationship to BD was not established. BD's nearly career ending accident was just a one sentence overlay on a non reverent scene. amateurish.

There were interviews with Bob from 2000. That was a disappointment too. BD comes off as dull, inarticulate and almost not even the same person as he was in the 60's. Sure, he is called a shape-shifter and continually self re-inventing , but geeze that life on the road must have really taken its toll.

The early footage showed a smart, playful poet and was really the best part (at least for me). There was a lot of live concert coverage and some was just dreadful, should have stayed in the can. His "Maggie's Farm" at Newport (I think) was something to fast forward through. The British fans at the London concerts had comments like "rubbish, waste of time, junk" etc. I'd probably have had the same reaction.

Anyway, it's worth a free checkout from the library, but if I owned the DVD , it would never be viewed a second time.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

I'm not a big BD guy, but I would have watched it just for the pop culture benefit. Thanks for saving me the effort!

[threadjack!]

This reminds me of a topic that has been on mind, but as a "newb" on this forum I've been reluctant to mention...

Attention site ownership, with all due + additional extra super-duper respect: Where's the Home Theater / Movies forum?

I know this forum has a large audience of 2 channel folks, which is totally cool (I would love nothing more than to someday have a dedicated 2 channel room), but HT guys speak a little different language sometimes. I think it would be flat out rad it if we had a dedicated place to talk movies and HT rigs without bothering those that don't care about such things... a place in the sun where kindred spirits of the 5+ channel world can BS about movies, their awesome TVs/Projectors, and how they're using vintage JBLs to enjoy films (though my entire rig is constructed of what should be THE WORST HT speakers)!

I will personally commit to offering reviews of my top 5 favorite movies (ohh... decisions decisions... Where to start?) in great detail (as you may have noticed, I'm a verbose SOB).... As the first post to that section should you choose to initiate it. I'll even do it via PM to site ownership before jumping ship to a new section so you can see it for yourself.

I know that I can't possibly be the only guy rocking vintage JBL in my Home Theater...

A new section isn't "required", but it would be a cool addition to this already outstanding forum.

[/threadjack!]

Absolutely - I second that thought -
    Lansing Related Forums - Home Theater
    could be the way to go!
    I could have contributed once but now I'm using V%$#%$teens for Gnome Theater use ...

Quote Originally Posted by Maxwelhse View Post
    I'm not a big BD guy, but I would have watched it just for the pop culture benefit. Thanks for saving me the effort!

[threadjack!]

This reminds me of a topic that has been on mind, but as a "newb" on this forum I've been reluctant to mention...

Attention site ownership, with all due + additional extra super-duper respect: Where's the Home Theater / Movies forum?

I know this forum has a large audience of 2 channel folks, which is totally cool (I would love nothing more than to someday have a dedicated 2 channel room), but HT guys speak a little different language sometimes. I think it would be flat out rad it if we had a dedicated place to talk movies and HT rigs without bothering those that don't care about such things... a place in the sun where kindred spirits of the 5+ channel world can BS about movies, their awesome TVs/Projectors, and how they're using vintage JBLs to enjoy films (though my entire rig is constructed of what should be THE WORST HT speakers)!

I will personally commit to offering reviews of my top 5 favorite movies (ohh... decisions decisions... Where to start?) in great detail (as you may have noticed, I'm a verbose SOB).... As the first post to that section should you choose to initiate it. I'll even do it via PM to site ownership before jumping ship to a new section so you can see it for yourself.

I know that I can't possibly be the only guy rocking vintage JBL in my Home Theater...

A new section isn't "required", but it would be a cool addition to this already outstanding forum.

[/threadjack!]
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Absolutely - I second that thought -
    Lansing Related Forums - Home Theater
    could be the way to go!
    I could have contributed once but now I'm using V%$#%$teens for Gnome Theater use ...
    [Sorry again SEAWOLF for the thread jack... I honestly do appreciate your review.]

Cool! You want to start a topic in general discussion (where it may see more traffic) to set some hooks to see if a few others bite? You're quite a bit more senior to this forum and absolutely respected amongst the membership, so it may have more weight if you lead the charge.

If not, I ain't skeered... I'll led my "300"/"Thunderdome" charge...

Quote Originally Posted by Maxwelhse View Post
    [Sorry again SEAWOLF for the thread jack... I honestly do appreciate your review.]

Cool! You want to start a topic in general discussion (where it may see more traffic) to set some hooks to see if a few others bite? You're quite a bit more senior to this forum and absolutely respected amongst the membership, so it may have more weight if you lead the charge.

If not, I ain't skeered... I'll led my "300"/"Thunderdome" charge...
    I just sent a note off to the Mods (used the little triangle logo on the bottom left of a post to do so ...)

Won't be overnight - but they'll see that,
    while they may not notice it in the midst of this thread about Robert Zimmerman ...

(Sorry Seawolf - thanks for being a good sport about this).

I'll start another thread to request it!

see - Create-a-new-forum-"Lansing-Related-Forums-Home-Theater-Systems"
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Sorry to get this thread back semi-ON-topic. but ...

during my recent Dylan-o-rama , I put a hold on Pat Garret & Billy the Kid* . Watched it today ... I like James Coburn and Kris Kristofferson and Bob Dylan did the soundtrack and appeared . Bob's alias was "Alias".

My guess is that Sam Peckinpah's version of the Old West is not too far off. This remains one of the best of the genre (IMHO)

Bob does show his violent side , killing someone with a knife , shotgun butting another to the side of the head ... his soundtrack is very Un-Dylanesque except for "Knockin' on Heaven's Door" in the scene where Slim Pickins goes off to die.

Anyway, I enjoyed it** ...going to watch the Directors Cut before I return it and see if Sams original vision was much different.

*http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070518/ An aging Pat Garrett is hired as a lawman on behalf of a group of wealthy New Mexico cattle barons--his sole purpose being to bring down his old friend Billy the Kid.

** which is strange, since I don't attract well to violent films , but how could you tell this story without it ??
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Cool

Trials & Litigation

Bob Dylan Tops Beatles, Bruce Springsteen as by Far the Most-Cited in Court Opinions

http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/bob_dylan_tops_beatles_bruce_springsteen_as_by_far _the_most-cited_/

You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows. But for the zing that citing the lyrics of a popular song can bring to a court opinion or a scholarly legal article, there's no one better than the author of that well-known line, Bob Dylan, a survey has determined.

Dylan—whose "weatherman" line has been cited in at least a half-dozen California appellate court rulings as an example of when expert testimony isn't needed—is the wordsmith of choice among judges and legal academics, the Los Angeles Times reported.

Dont Look Back

Another Dylan movie ...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dont_Look_Back

this is D.A. Pennebaker's look at the 3 weeks that Bob spent in London concerts in 1965. Much of this was covered in Martin Scorsese's film but left diametrically different impressions.

MS's film hinted that the London tour was poor and badly received. He seemed to have found the worst clips to include in his work.

DAP's film conveys a much different feeling and IMHO makes Martin look like someone with an agenda to follow, tho it seems odd to be negative & positive about the same subject in the same film.

Anyway , Dont Look Back is a worthwhile film for any fan of early Dylan.

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    OK ....I'm a somewhat Bob Dylan quasi-fan and I'm not a big fan of Martin
    Scorsese , but I was happy to give the film "No Direction Home" a try.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_Direction_Home

I had higher hopes for it than actually realized, since it did receive awards.

So I finished up all 200 minutes of it , and really learned nothing new about BD. It starts at early years and stops at 1966 ? what ? he did nothing after 1966 ?

MS is listed as "Director". I don't really know what he did. The footage had nothing to do with him. There was a team of editors. I guess maybe MS selected what clips to be included ? Feels like he was brought on board to add a name to the production.

Many of those interviewed were not identified or the relationship to BD was not established. BD's nearly career ending accident was just a one sentence overlay on a non reverent scene. amateurish.

There were interviews with Bob from 2000. That was a disappointment too. BD comes off as dull, inarticulate and almost not even the same person as he was in the 60's. Sure, he is called a shape-shifter and continually self re-inventing , but geeze that life on the road must have really taken its toll.

The early footage showed a smart, playful poet and was really the best part (at least for me). There was a lot of live concert coverage and some was just dreadful, should have stayed in the can. His "Maggie's Farm" at Newport (I think) was something to fast forward through. The British fans at the London concerts had comments like "rubbish, waste of time, junk" etc. I'd probably have had the same reaction.

Anyway, it's worth a free checkout from the library, but if I owned the DVD , it would never be viewed a second time.

I've seen this flick..and this is a shallow review
    I think the reviewer should stick to reviewing fiction.....

Quote Originally Posted by Fort Knox View Post
    I've seen this flick..and this is a shallow review
    I think the reviewer should stick to reviewing fiction.....
    The first rule of being a good critic is to offer a positive alternative to what it is that offended you. On THAT point, your post fails.

you are certainly welcome to add your "more correct/complete" review. Eagerly awaiting it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fort Knox View Post
    .and this is a shallow review
    if you thought that was shallow (in reality, rather deep for these old fingers) then you should (or shouldn't , maybe) check out

Shallow DVD movie review-the JBL-a/d/s sound

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...BL-a-d-s-sound

Thread Information