Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Buzzing Altec compression driver

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Westchester NY
    Posts
    1,134

    Buzzing Altec compression driver

    I just moved from NY to TN and now my 802D Altec compression driver is making a buzzing sound. About 1 year ago, I replaced the aluminum diaphragms using the guys out west that have the Altec original factory equipment from the early 1980s Altec bankruptcy (name??). Anyway, the diaphragms have alignment pins so installation was not an issue and they worked well before the move. Is it possible the home movers damaged the driver/phram with some ruff handling? The units are in a factory wood cab

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    309
    Quote Originally Posted by robertbartsch View Post
    I just moved from NY to TN and now my 802D Altec compression driver is making a buzzing sound. About 1 year ago, I replaced the aluminum diaphragms using the guys out west that have the Altec original factory equipment from the early 1980s Altec bankruptcy (name??). Anyway, the diaphragms have alignment pins so installation was not an issue and they worked well before the move. Is it possible the home movers damaged the driver/phram with some ruff handling? The units are in a factory wood cab
    Maybe they caught a buzz on some of that tennessee whiskey

  3. #3
    Senior Member grumpy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    5,331
    Seems unlikely. GPA (out west being relative) was probably the vendor. Might check to see if its a case of junk in the gap and visually inspect the diaphragm.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Richmond Hill, Ont.
    Posts
    4,675
    One thousand miles of bouncing about in a tractor/trailer might have loosened something within the speakers ( maybe even the 3 screws holding the diaphragm in place ) .

    I'd inspect the speakers and tighten anything that's found to be loose ( including those diaphragm mounting screws ) .

    Since the diaphragms ( because of those guide pins ) have next to no give within the gap / I would also consider swapping diaphragms between drivers ( if the buzzing problem persists ) .


  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    309
    Maybe your new house has noise in the ac... or the girl
    next doors running a hair dryer ... the woof could be making noise....

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Westchester NY
    Posts
    1,134
    these are the cabs where the back is glued and access is only from the front. I took the X-over off the cab and put my hand inside the cab. The woof is not buzzing and all the mounting bolts seem tight. The buzz is coming from the HF compression driver - inside the cast horn..... UHG!

    ...seems like a diaphragm issue. I'll take it apart soon.

    When the diaphragms go bad do they buzz or just stop working?

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    760
    I had that happen with my 2445's. Crap in the gap. Nothing a bit of masking tape won't fix.

  8. #8
    Senior Member 4343's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    SJ, CA
    Posts
    515

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by robertbartsch View Post
    ...
    When the diaphragms go bad do they buzz or just stop working?
    Depends on how hard they were dropped. A slight jar can crack aluminum surrounds that have become work hardened, that will be the buzz. Drop it hard enough to cause the voice coil wire to break and it just quits. I had a 2420 slide down the wheel arch in my truck once, just a small bump, no dents in the box or anything, but it was just enough to pop the entire dome and voice coil out of the surround. That one was well used by then though, yours sound like they have not been used much, so hopefully it just picked up some crap in the gap.
    Mike Scott in SJ, CA
    Drive 'em to the Xmax!

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    309
    Quote Originally Posted by 4343 View Post
    Depends on how hard they were dropped. A slight jar can crack aluminum surrounds that have become work hardened, that will be the buzz. Drop it hard enough to cause the voice coil wire to break and it just quits. I had a 2420 slide down the wheel arch in my truck once, just a small bump, no dents in the box or anything, but it was just enough to pop the entire dome and voice coil out of the surround. That one was well used by then though, yours sound like they have not been used much, so hopefully it just picked up some crap in the gap.
    I ran a thread title: Broken Dome, 06-13-13 that was an 802 also...all alum..it worked but was buzzing..

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    54
    My plastic orange plug inside came loose and it buzzed.
    a lick of glue fixed that.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Altec Compression Driver ID
    By nolasally in forum Lansing Product General Information
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-08-2013, 07:36 PM
  2. Altec Model 19 - replacement of 802 with TAD 2001 compression driver
    By donroth in forum Lansing Product DIY Forum
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 07-27-2011, 07:01 PM
  3. Anyone familiar with this Altec compression driver
    By doucanoe in forum Lansing Product General Information
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 05-11-2006, 05:30 AM
  4. Other than compression driver 288 for altec horns 1003B ?
    By audiovalvola in forum Lansing Product Technical Help
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-29-2006, 10:52 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •