Thread: Rhapsody

Rhapsody

The music service, that is. I love it! It is nothing like ITunes or Pandora, and IMO much superior to Spotify. At least they actually pay the artists, and they have been around for ten years. Their collection is deep, very deep. The two levels of subscription are ten or fifteen dollars a month. You don't buy songs. Instead you have unlimited access to the sixteen million songs they have anytime, anywhere. You can stream and/or download (for offline listening) at 192 AAC if you want for no extra charge. Not CD quality, but when I play my IPod Touch through my rig (digital capture through a Wadia dock) it is not bad at all. The downloads you keep on your devices are legal; your subscription essentially buys music.

It works on computers, IPods and their ilk, phones, radios, you name it. The radio in my car, a modest Sony CD/HD radio unit, hijacks the digital IPod files and decodes them. The selection is surprising. They don't have everything, of course. No solo Danny Kirwan for instance, but they have a lot. About fifty Sun Ra albums. Almost twice that of Stan Getz. The best of Bill Evans and tons of Glenn Gould. Oodles of the alt stuff I like. I haven't investigated the mainstream Classic Rock, not my thing, but I'll bet they have most of it.

It is as good as Pandora at finding music you didn't know about but like a lot. Similar Artists, Influences and Followers lists see to that. They have themed "radio" stations that I have not checked out yet, because I am finding so much new music and music new to me that I haven't had time.

There is no way you can buy this much music you like; I don't know how much longer I might live, but however long it is I will never run out of music to listen to and I can do it whenever and wherever I want to. I thought this kind of thing was like ITunes, crappy quality, buy-a-song, for kids music and mostly current fluff. What a great surprise.
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

As an aside to your Rhapsody recommendation, I've really been enjoying the VidZone app on my PS3... Totally free (currently) and chocked full of some great music videos. It's not someplace to go for sound or picture quality, but it is a boatload of fun if you're a PS3 owner!

Thread Information