Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Passive Monitor Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    Well it's great when a plan comes together and it all works out....

Green is the LEAP simulation Red is the actual in room measurement @ 1 meter.

It's nice to have finally got this done and just be able to relax and enjoy them!
    Amazing! Glad it is working out so well... wish I could give them a listen. Unfortunately I WILL NOT be boarding an airplane in the foreseeable future.

Widget

Nice!

Thanks guys!!

It's a rainy day here and I have off so have been listening to them. I am really impressed just how dynamic they are. I have been doing a shoot out between my basement system and this one. This 2 way is giving my 4 way active a run for the money dynamics wise so I am having fun! I had a feeling going out flat like that would sound a bit "hard" and it does to my ears at least. I dropped a 20 ohm resistor in parallel with R7 and it makes a significant difference. The change is about -1.5 db of attenuation. The change sounds like it brings up the low end and it sounds more balanced. Much better this way! Green is normal blue is attenuated,

Rob
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Nice work Rob!

I've also found that "flat" may not be the most musical nor the most intelligible. While the overall curve should decline slightly, I like a bit of "brightness" in the 1-4 kHz area and it only requires less than a dB to achieve or it becomes overwhelming.

Once you get to this point, you start to consider "voicing" to taste and the acoustics of the room.

Amazing work Rob!
    Have you had a chance to compare the 2453 with the 2450SL sonically?

Hello Pos

Thanks!! On the 2453SL no I actually don't have any 2450's the 476's would be the only valid comparison I have. The 2453's are going downstairs in my active set-up only going to use them above 1.5K. I even have the networks built so I should just get it done.

Rob

Been listening and having fun. Added an Impedance conjugate to tame a peak, and minimize phase angle to +/- 30 degrees. Retired the PS-200 and am using a pair of Emotiva HC-1's running with balanced inputs. Updated schematic Step, Wavelet and Waterfall .

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    Thanks!! On the 2453SL no I actually don't have any 2450's the 476's would be the only valid comparison I have. The 2453's are going downstairs in my active set-up only going to use them above 1.5K. I even have the networks built so I should just get it done.
    Sorry for the confusion!!
    I will continue in your large format comp thread: http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...ng-Impressions

It took weeks but I finally got my 1.8M resistors so I could charge couple the networks. Got them finished and they sound great! Now it's just the cabinets! Just did a verification to see if the impedance compensation worked as designed.

Rob

Been just listening. I have updated my system to include a refurbished Emotiva XMC-1 to use as my preamp in a stereo system. All of my sources are digital and I was looking for something that had digital parametric EQ and bass management if needed down the road. I also have Full Dirac in addition as an additional EQ option. I could not find any stereo preamps that had this kind of flexibility.

I have been living with the XMC-1 for about a week and it is working out very well. I have used one of the parametric band for the Q2 26Hz bump filter to extend F3 on the speakers. I still have 10 bands left per channel for room EQ if I want to use any. You can measure with REV and then import the filters into the preprocessor.

One thing that is surprising is how quiet this system is. I can't hear any hiss at all unless I literally have my ear inside the waveguide. I am running balanced connections so that I assume is helping.

Having fun!

Rob

Looking good... sounds interesting. Is it time for veneer?

Widget

Looking good... sounds interesting. Is it time for veneer?
    Hello Widget

Yeah it's getting close on the veneer. Don't want to break them down but I should just bite the bullet and get it done. Never done it before so it will be a learning experience. What method would you recommend for a novice??

Rob

Well, not having done it this way myself it seems a little odd suggesting it, but I think the most forgivable method is to use paperbacked veneer and go with PVA and iron it on.

I have used a many other techniques with both successes and utter failures... I once ruined a bunch of Brazilian rosewood veneer. It has been decades and I still get upset thinking about that one!

Widget

Hello Widget

Now I went and did it got a 4x8 sheet of 10 mil flat cut paper backed walnut vernier that is pre-coated with adhesive so peel and stick. Getting 4x8 of flat black formica for top and bottom wear surfaces and no rings up top for an errant pint glass.

Rob

Thread Information