Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Passive Monitor Thread

Agreed. Love the horizontal veneer and large radius corners. They look great.

Nice. Just beautiful.

Thanks Guys!

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Incredible build and love that finish!

With the shallow depth of the M2 horn and the relatively deep 2216ND, did you measured if JBL designed them to be time aligned when mounted on same baffle depth?

Hello

Thanks!

They use a 270us delay to time align them using the DSP for the M2. So no they don't align you would have to push back the horn a bit but then you introduce another set of problems. My passive is flush and you can see the delay in the step response.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...Monitor/page16

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    Hello

Thanks!

They use a 270us delay to time align them using the DSP for the M2. So no they don't align you would have to push back the horn a bit but then you introduce another set of problems. My passive is flush and you can see the delay in the step response.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...Monitor/page16

Rob
    Oh I see. If I read that correctly, 270us (9.3cm) delay is applied to the 2216ND. That means the compression driver is further back away from the baffle when compared to the 2216ND.

What kind of problem do you see if trying to make them time align? other than 9.3cm is a lot to compensate.

What kind of problem do you see if trying to make them time align? other than 9.3cm is a lot to compensate.
    My passive speaker is not time aligned and in my case the compression drivers leads so you would delay it not the woofer. Not worried about the time alignment. As long the summation is good through the crossover region all is well.

Rob

I was doing some comparisons with with my basement system and these and I just couldn't match the sense of space I was getting from the PTH1010/2453SL and these speakers. After thinking about it just didn't make sense so I tried to figure out why. And of course it all boiled down to placement. In the basement there are no really prominent side reflections between toe in and placement and they don't have a 45 degree sloping ceilings in close proximity.

Looking a the ceiling I started thinking and realized reflections off them might be the issue. So I emptied the room and tried different placements and sure enough with the sloping ceilings behind and not on the sides made all the difference. This also brought me a bit more distance made the imaging even better and took out a suck out I was having issues with so the bass improved as well. It's an irregular shaped room and I went with what I thought would be the best position and made the mistake of not trying to flip the room during my original set-up.

That's what you get for being lazy! All better now!

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    That's what you get for being lazy! All better now!
    Yep, I learned that one myself some years back. Just because we think we know where a system will sound it’s best, it is a good idea to experiment with alternatives. And, rooms and room placement make a huge difference!

Glad to hear it worked out.

Widget

Thread Information