Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aftermarket recone kit?

Aftermarket recone kit?

Hi all,

I have a pair of JBL 4311B speakers that I am attempting to restore.
    I know about the factory JBL recone kits, but those are expensive! But I would not want to get anything that would be inferior to the real deal.
    Do any of you have any experience with these?

If not, can you tell anything from the pics or description as to how accurate these will be?

Best Regards,
    Kristian

The cones appear to be straight instead of curved.

Hm, it appears so.
    Strange, because when I looked at these recone kits earlier, they were sold one each, and those were pictured as bell-shaped.
    It appears that I can get original recone kits here in Europe for about $150. Doesn't seem too bad.

Generally speaking, as I am not familiar with your exact application, I would be shocked if any aftermarket cone kit features a true edge wound voice coil... That technology is 1/2 the reason the JBL drivers are so coveted the world over. I believe I once heard that edge wound coils resulted in a 23% increase in surface area and thus a big efficiency increase.

I had this debate, with myself, with my 2241-Hs... Today they're sporting real JBL kits...

jbl
    Can't beat the real thing.

As long as the JBL kit is available, it's the only sensible option. Otherwise, what are we doing here?
    "Audio is filled with dangerous amateurs." --- Tim de Paravicini

Ok guys, you have convinced me. Genuine JBL it is then!

Thank you very much for your insight, it is most appreciated.

Regards,
    Kristian

Quote Originally Posted by krisonic View Post
    Ok guys, you have convinced me. Genuine JBL it is then!

Thank you very much for your insight, it is most appreciated.

Regards,
    Kristian
    Good call...

I've got more money in cone kits in my L80Ts, L100Ts, 240Tis, and SR4719A than I paid for the entire systems (each), that's not including the cost of installation.

I've been disappointed with those decisions 0 times and the money doesn't hurt once they're powered up!

They play... They sound right... and they will play HARD for as long as you want with proper power applied. You can't beat good honest JBLs!

jbl
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxwelhse View Post
    Good call...

I've got more money in cone kits in my L80Ts, L100Ts, 240Tis, and SR4719A than I paid for the entire systems (each), that's not including the cost of installation.

I've been disappointed with those decisions 0 times and the money doesn't hurt once they're powered up!

They play... They sound right... and they will play HARD for as long as you want with proper power applied. You can't beat good honest JBLs!
    What caused all those cone failures?

Quote Originally Posted by jbl View Post
    What caused all those cone failures?
    Not a dang thing on the outside (well... I bought the 2241Hs as empty baskets for the SR4719A... That entire system was assembled on a shoe string budget over a couple of years of Ebaying... The cab came from this very forum)... Right-or-wrong, when I buy a 20 year old used speaker with failing foam I have it re-coned... I have no idea what its voice coil's life was like before I owned it. After the initial re-cone, I plan to re-foam in the future (also bearing in mind that JBL doesn't sell "re-foam" kits...).

Beyond that, again right-or-wrong, my JBL man lathe turns the baskets (in a giant LeBlonde lathe with an even more giant fixture) before re-coning to make sure all of the basket surfaces are parallel before installing the new kits. He claims he's seen as much as 0.060" out of plane (maybe a big deal, maybe not? His labor is $25 a driver.. Hard to beat!). The oldest re-coned pair he has done for my family are Dad's L300s and that was in 1994... They're still playing great today! The oldest pair he has done for me personally are my L100Ts in 2003, again, no complaints (and they have seen A LOT of abuse... I was 19 when I bought them)....

So... necessary? Probably not... Do I care? Nope... I'm not looking to cash out of any of my speakers so the cost of the re-cone vs. re-surround is kinda unimportant to me. I also have all of my grills recovered in pure black, need-it-or-not (and the 240Tis look SOOO much better with black cloth... the LXXT series speakers always seem to have washed out "grayish" grills when I get them... They're jet black now!!!)

I understand my positions aren't shared by everyone, and that's OK with me. The bigger point I was making is that I have only ever purchased authentic JBL parts for my JBL speakers (save for the grill cloth... That's a personal taste... and the switches in the 240Ti crossovers) and I have never been disappointed!

jbl
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxwelhse View Post
    Not a dang thing on the outside (well... I bought the 2241Hs as empty baskets for the SR4719A... That entire system was assembled on a shoe string budget over a couple of years of Ebaying... The cab came from this very forum)... Right-or-wrong, when I buy a 20 year old used speaker with failing foam I have it re-coned... I have no idea what its voice coil's life was like before I owned it. After the initial re-cone, I plan to re-foam in the future (also bearing in mind that JBL doesn't sell "re-foam" kits...).

Beyond that, again right-or-wrong, my JBL man lathe turns the baskets (in a giant LeBlonde lathe with an even more giant fixture) before re-coning to make sure all of the basket surfaces are parallel before installing the new kits. He claims he's seen as much as 0.060" out of plane (maybe a big deal, maybe not? His labor is $25 a driver.. Hard to beat!). The oldest re-coned pair he has done for my family are Dad's L300s and that was in 1994... They're still playing great today! The oldest pair he has done for me personally are my L100Ts in 2000, again, no complaints (and they have seen A LOT of abuse... I was 19 when I bought them)....

So... necessary? Probably not... Do I care? Nope... I'm not looking to cash out of any of my speakers so the cost of the re-cone vs. re-surround is kinda unimportant to me. I also have all of my grills recovered in pure black, need-it-or-not (and the 240Tis look SOOO much better with black cloth).

I understand my positions aren't shared by everyone, and that's OK with me.
    I agree with you 100%. I would have done exactly as you did under those circumstances. The smallest compromise repairing the driver, compromises the whole driver. The only exception is refoaming my JBL drivers since JBL doesn't support refoams. In my case, I bought the 2225H & 2235H woofers new, so I know the history. I will be refoaming the 2235s when needed.

Quote Originally Posted by jbl View Post
    I agree with you 100%. I would have done exactly as you did under those circumstances. The smallest compromise repairing the driver, compromises the whole driver. The only exception is refoaming my JBL drivers since JBL doesn't support refoams. In my case, I bought the 2225H & 2235H woofers new, so I know the history. I will be refoaming the 2235s when needed.
    It's good to find a like mind! If I wanted Pyle performance from my drivers I would have saved a bundle and just bought Pyle drivers!

ALL of my JBLs (save for 1 S-Center) came from the used market and were plenty "senior" when I acquired them... I wasn't even a teenager when my L100Ts were manufactured and I was a few months old when Dad bought his L300s... I'm not comfortable rolling the dice on their history when they come into my manacle hands! I want to be the first abuser!

Dad is the original owner of his L300s (I think his original sales brochure, that he got for free, is worth about $20 on Ebay), but given his joy of them and their open market value, re-foaming seemed a bit below them. Plus, right-or-wrong, our JBL man, who was the original seller of Dad's L300s, doesn't believe that proper geometry can be recreated through a re-foam job (I beg to differ... but whatever)... So, there wasn't a debate.

So... That's it... The L300s, and 1 unworthy S-Center, are the only only JBLs my family has ever bought new. I did gift a set of L80Ts to the inlaws that I'm positive had re-foams (but a very nice job)... They play just great too and they're over the moon to have them (bought 'em for $50, playing... HARD to give them away!!!!)

Jbl 2213h, jbl 4311b, jbl 2212, jbl 4312 two recone kit for ( c8r2213h )

I´m selling pairs of recone kits on Ebay, type ... JBL Recone Kit in the Search Engine of Ebay......You will find it.

Name:  Diapositiva1.JPG
Views: 4188
Size:  93.1 KBName:  Diapositiva2.JPG
Views: 5522
Size:  90.1 KBName:  Diapositiva6.JPG
Views: 3509
Size:  89.3 KB

Thanks!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth View Post
    Jbl 2213h, jbl 4311b, jbl 2212, jbl 4312 two recone kit for ( c8r2213h )

I´m selling pairs of recone kits on Ebay, type ... JBL Recone Kit in the Search Engine of Ebay......You will find it.

Name:  Diapositiva1.JPG
Views: 4188
Size:  93.1 KBName:  Diapositiva2.JPG
Views: 5522
Size:  90.1 KBName:  Diapositiva6.JPG
Views: 3509
Size:  89.3 KB

Thanks!!!!
    compared to the others the 2212 isn't the same animal due to specific spider dimensions

JBL 2212 spider

Yes, Jbl 2212 spider is approx. 1 inch smaller than the others......I just to erase this from the Ebay post.

Thread Information