Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: JBL 3 Series Powered studio Monitors

Mine hit the badshack yesterday- haven't plugged 'em in but for those hesitating to get the red ones on the cheap, I can confirm, they look pretty darn snazzy.

If we only had those red ones in the EU....

Quote Originally Posted by badman View Post
    Mine hit the badshack yesterday- haven't plugged 'em in but for those hesitating to get the red ones on the cheap, I can confirm, they look pretty darn snazzy.
    Can you post a pic? The on line photos look fake/colorized.

I'll post a pic tonight- but they are really quite bright.Name:  DSC_2198[1].jpg
Views: 993
Size:  66.9 KB

pic added

I was just about the pull the trigger on another pair of these for no good reason, but I checked and they seem to be all gone.

Thank you!
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

I want the white special edition version as surrounds, but can not find it to buy.

For those taking the LSR 305 plunge, I say congrats! I wrote a highly favorable review of them in this thread a few years back. Nothing has changed my opinion of them. I still find them to be excellent near field monitors run directly from my ASUS audio card.

Actually, that's not quite correct. I took the plunge and purchased the companion LSR 310 subwoofer. Now my ASUS audio card goes into the LSR 310 and the LSR 305s plug into the LSR 310. If you enjoy your LSR 305s and your budget can stretch to affording the LSR 310, I recommend picking up the LSR 310 as well.

The LSR 310 integrates tightly with the LSR 305. On the back of your 305s you have a volume control. Just make sure the volume control on your 310 matches the setting you have on your 305s and you'll have flat output. Indeed, the volume control on the 310 can be used like the old Quad "tilt" control: turn it down a notch or two to brighten the overall sound, or turn it up a notch or two to enrich the sound. I typically leave it at the same setting as on my 305s, but I find it works much better as a "loudness" control than any "loudness" control I've had on a preamp.

You can also switch the 310 to the "XLF" setting. This cuts ultimate low bass but boosts the 60Hz or so range by about 10db (!). With this setting engaged, forget about any pretense of "flat" response, however it can be a fun place to visit from time to time.

One other nit: the LSR 310 must be turned on for signal to be passed to the LSR 305s.

With the above in mind, when the LSR 310 is set to match the LSR 305s it makes a noticeable difference in the sound. My main reservation about the stand alone 305s was the absence of deep bass. While this could be an advantage in not annoying the neighbors, it also diminished the impact of some recordings. The 310 nicely fills in this gap in the bass. In my room I do not get 20Hz bass, but I do get a nice extension down to 40Hz or so. I've heard tighter bass from far more expensive speakers, but this is still very satisfying. This is very much an incremental improvement over the stand alone 305s, however, having purchased the 310 I in no way regret the money spent. I typically listen at modest output levels and very much appreciate the enhanced bass. However, from time to time I can crank up the volume and the 310 never falls apart, instead delivering room (or at least den) shaking bass. Think of the 305s as a nice cake, and the 310 as the icing on the cake. Together they make a heck of a combination.

Perhaps the most perplexing issue with the 310 is where to put the thing. Again, I'm coming from my perspective of using it in a 10' x 12' den. I tried it under my desk. I tried it back behind my chair. I found the best place in my room to be a few feet off to the side of my desk. I've oriented it so the rear faces me allowing easy access to the settings and connections, however this is a major hit on WAF. Oh well, it's MY den. Despite the asymmetrical physical placement, there is no acoustic penalty. Bass notes are anchored to the locations of the 305s and not the location of the 310. Indeed, I often hear bass apparently coming from the opposite side of the room where the 310 is located.

All in all, the LSR 310 is a nifty product. It's possible to be perfectly happy with your LSR 305s, but if you add the LSR 310 to the mix I doubt you'll be less than pleased with the addition.

Well, initial evaluation was very good- these do sound really nice and do a lot of things well. They don't keep up with the clarity or dynamics of my big setup, but they darned well better not! I'll be spending some time with these little guys, right now they're on stands in front of my normal mains.

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    I bought a pair of the powered LSR305s on a whim after TD's 308 experience and 4313B's recommendation. I pulled the trigger when I found them for $125 each and couldn't be happier. I have them in a room with everything from L7 and L5s to 4412A and L96s. They sound great. They image better than the Pro-III-Plus system and I can play them direct from a CD player or pre-amp and the little amped guys sound like the bigger boys. I find I'm using them as monitors during recording and transfer, as well as just for fun, more than anything else in the room since I don't have to fire up a Crown PS amp just to hear the Pro-IIIs.

I mention this now because there seem to be a Special Edition version of these out there in bright red (really bright) and Guitar Center has them on sale while they last for just $99 each, including shipping. Please, please, buy them out and make them go away before I do something irrational and buy another pair I don't need. This is a fantastic deal on a speaker that's an amazing value at twice the price . . . if you love red, or close your eyes when listening.
    interesting comments from 305 buyers:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/JBL/LSR3...?source=4XBACR

I'm using these monitors for a small home studio to mix tracks for my band. They work well, the audio is nice and flat, and very crisp and clear. My only con is they are a bit quiet.

One thing I noticed about these specific model of speakers (RED) is the different construct or external design compared to the standard (Black) speakers. This can't be proven to hinder the sound quality or the internal components, but the speakers look like they were put together on an assembly line. The build quality compared to the JBL LSR2325s has definitely been toned down to feel 'cheaply' built. I love JBL and the sound of their speakers, but I'm hoping I didn't spend money on some throw away recycled parts. More because of the fact that I'm looking for a long period of use with these.

I didn't know what to expect, but this thing makes me think twice about JBL.. I normally use Bose! Sometimes the limiter clips the sound but never really is noticeable just don't turn it maxxx!

Had these for a week now, I am very pleased with my purchase, I was debating on these and the KRK rock it but I choose these after my Pastor bought them he called me over to check them out, I was sold

They work well, the audio is nice and flat, and very crisp and clear. My only con is they are a bit quiet. Granted, I do not need them to be very loud for what I'm doing

Great sounding speakers with questionable build quality.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Another 100+ comments from LSR 305 buyers

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LSR305/reviews

Oh, and a few more from LSR 310 buyers:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LSR310S/reviews

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    interesting comments from 305 buyers:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/JBL/LSR3...?source=4XBACR

I'm using these monitors for a small home studio to mix tracks for my band. They work well, the audio is nice and flat, and very crisp and clear. My only con is they are a bit quiet.

One thing I noticed about these specific model of speakers (RED) is the different construct or external design compared to the standard (Black) speakers. This can't be proven to hinder the sound quality or the internal components, but the speakers look like they were put together on an assembly line. The build quality compared to the JBL LSR2325s has definitely been toned down to feel 'cheaply' built. I love JBL and the sound of their speakers, but I'm hoping I didn't spend money on some throw away recycled parts. More because of the fact that I'm looking for a long period of use with these.

I didn't know what to expect, but this thing makes me think twice about JBL.. I normally use Bose! Sometimes the limiter clips the sound but never really is noticeable just don't turn it maxxx!

Had these for a week now, I am very pleased with my purchase, I was debating on these and the KRK rock it but I choose these after my Pastor bought them he called me over to check them out, I was sold

They work well, the audio is nice and flat, and very crisp and clear. My only con is they are a bit quiet. Granted, I do not need them to be very loud for what I'm doing

Great sounding speakers with questionable build quality.
    Caveat: I own the LSR308s not the 5s.

Are you using them with a +4dB pro audio input or -10dB consumer? I am having similar issues with them being on the quiet side but am going to try mine on a focusrite or presonus audio interface and see if it changes thing.

I was also a little disappointed with build quality but only on the finish front, the cut outs on the LED for example still have the rough shavings on it, to clean it out I would have to use an xacto knife...not really a complaint does nothing to effect sound quality but I was a little surprised.

I think the concerns over build quality are pushing it a bit- yeah, they could be better, but considering the pricepoint, I think they're perfectly OK. There are a couple reliability complaints out there but keep in mind- not every happy customer writes a review, but just about every unhappy one does. The 3 series doesn't appear to have widespread reliability issues.

Finally, I ordered a pair of LSR305!

Will try them as surround speakers.

If I like them, I will probably get another pair.

The noise issue, could it possibly be DIY tweaked with some resistor, lowering the sensitivity a bit?
    But I guess it will be no problem for me, I have 2m distance from the top of the back-wall to the sofa.

Anyone tried the LSR subwoofer? Sounds good?

Thread Information