Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: JBL 3 Series Powered studio Monitors

1. One area where the S308 beats the PT250 is in the HF accuracy and performance. I'm wondering how I can graft that waveguide onto an L250 cabinet.
    Hello TiDome

So how do they image?? If you put on a Q Sound encoded recording how well do they project to the sides and behind you?? How quiet are they?? Any noticable hiss?? Do they have a noticeably larger sweet spot as advertised??

Thanks Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

I have a pair of the 305s set up as computer speakers. I use a pair of isoacoustics stands to raise them up off the desk. The speakers flank a 24" flat panel monitor and are canted inwards so that the tweeter beams meet behind my head. The speakers are fed from an ASUS sound card and are used as general PC speakers as well as to play back music from my library via JRiver Media Center.

I am thrilled with the performance of these little guys.

To answer some of Robh3606's questions:

They image very well, this despite being in a poor acoustical environment what with sitting on a desk with a monitor between them and having things such as printers, PCs and book shelves piled up near them. After all, they are being used in an office space. Center images are rock solid. Depth can easily be perceived and "phantom performers" who are well to the left and right of the speakers make frequent appearances. If you are used to hearing a sound stage from your big rig, imagine that sound stage shrunk down and set on top of your desk and you'll get an idea of the way the 305s image. I've no experience with Q sound. My playback is pretty much limited to redbook CDs ripped to a hard drive.

They are not perfectly quiet. Without music playing if I place my ear near the tweeter I can hear a distinct hiss. However, I am unable to hear that hiss when I sit normally at my desk which puts the speakers just about arm's length from me.

The sweet spot seems to be wide and stable. Moving from side to side shifts the positions of the performers, but does not collapse the sound stage, at least not until you get well off axis.

All this is well and good, but what I think sets these speakers apart is their transparency. The old chestnut: "I'm hearing from familiar recordings things I hadn't heard before" is repeated again and again, with every recording I play. I don't necessarily mean brand new details, though there are plenty of those. I also mean the interactions between performers and instruments that I've heard dozens of times. Vocals are intelligible and bring out previously obscured lyrics. Harmonics are tightly integrated with fundamentals giving instruments a sheen and shimmer lesser speakers can't reproduce. The solid imaging is more than just a party trick of letting you point to the performers, it lets you hear how they were interacting while playing.

There is no need to blast the speakers to hear these details. Indeed, I find I am playing these things far more quietly than I have other speakers. I've set the volume knobs on the back of the speakers to 4.5 and I find that is plenty. This ability to be a "quiet" speaker while preserving their phenomenal transparency makes them very neighbor pleasing as well as saving wear and tear on your own ears.

These kinds of musical revelations and abilities would be worth spending thousands to attain. That I got them for a few hundred bucks borders on the incredible.

I have not tried the 305s anywhere besides my desk. Perhaps they are only near field monitors after all and fall apart when asked to play in the mid field or far field. I frankly don't care. For my application, and for what I paid, they far, far exceed my expectations and get a very enthusiastic thumbs up. My only real complaint, and it's more of an observation than a complaint, is that in my set up they do not have meaningful bass below about 80Hz. This can be bad, as some songs revolve around those bottom octaves and then the 305s only create a shadow of the performers' intent. However, for the vast majority of music the bass is pleasing and the constricted lower octaves lend themselves towards the neighbor pleasing "stealth" capabilities they have wherein I can be enjoying myself immensely and others aren't even aware I'm listening to music.

I would say to anyone who is on the fence about these things to jump on them while the February sales are still in effect. They are phenomenal values at their regular street prices. Getting them on sale just makes things all the better!

Hello Nick

Thanks for answering my questions and welcome to the forum

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Hi Rob

I hope my post was helpful and not too gushing. As I said, I'm thrilled with these little guys!

Perhaps you could answer a question for me? To get to this forum you need to go past a page that shows two men apparently discussing a ring radiator. Do you know the names of these gentlemen? Perhaps a caption could be added to the picture with that information in it?

Thank in advance

LHN
    Last edited by L.H. Nick; 02-23-2014 at 07:46 PM. Reason: Needed to add some text to the post!

On board

I think I am going to pull the trigger on a pair. My trusty Pro IIIs are being sent down to the kitchen as my wife is no longer enthusiastic about the old Cambridge sound works minis in that space. I would love to be able to put some LSR6238s on my desk but that's not happening this year at least.

I will post my impressions of them once I get them setup and broken in.

Jblnut

Hi jblnut!

I hope you get as much satisfaction from them as I do! To that end, I highly recommend putting them on some sort of stands so that you can get the tweeters at least to ear level. I'm using isoacoustic's recommended stands, on the 8 inch setting. While they work great, I don't think there's anything particularly magical about them. Any other tall enough stand or indeed simply a pile of books would probably sound just as well so long as it was tall enough to get the speaker up and in your face. Once up there though, the 305s create this bubble of sound in front of my monitor that is very pleasing to listen to.

I'm guessing this bubble is the "near field" zone where the speaker output predominates above the room reverberation. When I lean back in my chair I slip out of that bubble. The speakers still sound good, but there is a certain "sparkle" and clarity to the sound when I sit just a bit closer and move into that zone. You'll know it when you hear it!

Have fun!

LHN

I bought a pair of the powered LSR305s on a whim after TD's 308 experience and 4313B's recommendation. I pulled the trigger when I found them for $125 each and couldn't be happier. I have them in a room with everything from L7 and L5s to 4412A and L96s. They sound great. They image better than the Pro-III-Plus system and I can play them direct from a CD player or pre-amp and the little amped guys sound like the bigger boys. I find I'm using them as monitors during recording and transfer, as well as just for fun, more than anything else in the room since I don't have to fire up a Crown PS amp just to hear the Pro-IIIs.

I mention this now because there seem to be a Special Edition version of these out there in bright red (really bright) and Guitar Center has them on sale while they last for just $99 each, including shipping. Please, please, buy them out and make them go away before I do something irrational and buy another pair I don't need. This is a fantastic deal on a speaker that's an amazing value at twice the price . . . if you love red, or close your eyes when listening.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Obsolete
    Bright Red? Really? Time to go shopping for some nieces and nephews then!

IMO they should have gone with that old "JBL Front Baffle Blue" color instead !

I never did buy a pair but I gotta admit, $99 is pretty damn tempting....

jblnut

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by jblnut View Post
    IMO they should have gone with that old "JBL Front Baffle Blue" color instead !
    Something tells me that most of the people working there wouldn't even know what the hell you were talking about...

Too true my friend....too true....

jblnut

They do not sell to Europe
    I had bought them otherwise.
    Red gives better imaging, lower power compression, and more airy and warm "red" sound!

I just pulled the trigger on a pair finally...this site has cost me more money over the years than I care to add up :-)

Of course it's saved me a ton too when members post amazing deals like this that I otherwise would have missed. Like the SUB1500 driver that continues to fill in the lowest octave of my main 2-channel rig for instance.

Will post my thoughts on these (for real) this time once I have them. They are replacing my desktop rig which has been a Carver TFM-6CB feeding either PROIII's or more recently J50's (still using the PROIII's Sub).

jblnut

Quote Originally Posted by bubbleboy76 View Post
    They do not sell to Europe
    I had bought them otherwise.
    Red gives better imaging, lower power compression, and more airy and warm "red" sound!

http://www.jetcarrier.com/cms/
    43XX (2235-2123-2450-2405-CC 3155)5235-4412-4406-4401-L250-18Ti-L40-S109 Aquarius lV-C38 (030) 305P MkII

Quote Originally Posted by Odd View Post
    Is that link supposed to do something or go somewhere????
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Thread Information