Thread: Speaker Design Suggestions Needed

J.A.F.S.

Question Speaker Design Suggestions Needed

I have just acquired some more JBL components
    2220A woofer
    2470 comression driver with 2370A horn
    2404 "cheek" tweeter

I will triamp the system.
    I am thinking of building a passive radiator system using the PR-15..
    This will be the center channels on my horn loaded 7.1 system

Any thoughts on this idea or should I just use a tuned port alignment ?

Thanks a bunch!

IMHO it wouldn't make sense to go to the trouble to build a passive radiator into the box, With a sub in the system It doesn't need the help.

I have two 2123Js in a sideways MTM set up that are next to two 4645Cs, It's the only speaker I set to small and I can't hear a problem.

That combo should make a sweet center.
    4406, 4412A, L100, L100t3 (3 pair), L1, L7, 4645C, 4660A, 4695B, SR4735 and various DIY JBL Pro loaded systems.

Southern California, Orange County, Huntington Beach
    center channel is usually used for vocals and other higher frequency sounds, bass? >_<
    Young, but i love speakers!

I wouldn't bother trying to get low bass out of the 2220A either... besides as mentioned above, in a surround system response to 80Hz is usually fine... put it in a 4 cu ft box tuned to 40Hz and you should be good to go. Actually I'd go with a different woofer, but if you want to use what you have... maybe a straight 80Hz horn?

Please describe the rest of your speakers so that we can make suggestions about how you might want to implement your center.

Widget

J.A.F.S.

Smile System info for Mr Widget with no gremlins attached

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget
    I wouldn't bother trying to get low bass out of the 2220A either... besides as mentioned above, in a surround system response to 80Hz is usually fine... put it in a 4 cu ft box tuned to 40Hz and you should be good to go. Actually I'd go with a different woofer, but if you want to use what you have... maybe a straight 80Hz horn?

Please describe the rest of your speakers so that we can make suggestions about how you might want to implement your center.

Widget
    The front and rear speakers are EV 6040 CD horns (which I modded for smoother off axis repsonse) with JBL 2426H drivers and EV throat adapters, 2235H woofers in 8 cu ft (overstuffed) boxes with four variovents, 2404 cheek tweeters. These are driven by HH Electronics VMOS power amps biased Class A, triamped with homebrew equal component Sallen and Key active filters (4th order butterworth) crossed over at 880 Hz and 7Khz.

The subs are 4 of the Greg Timbers 12 cu ft. boxes each with a 2245H. The are crossed over with the same homebrew active filter at 80Hz lowpass and 15Hz hi-pass. I am using 2 old BGW 750D power amps to power these puppies. (Thanks to Giskard Widget and Zilch for the advice of ONE driver per box volume). The bass is prodigious - and in some cases works better than Ex-LAX (LOL). Yes, I did find out the "hard way"... Sorry - too much information...

Thanks for all the help folks - U R a great bunch of people!

The answer is simple then.

Get another 2235, 2426 and EV horn. The system that you describe at the beginning of this thread may be fine for some, but it will not blend as well with your L and R as I would want in my system.

Widget

Thread Information