Thread: How do i connect these speakers??

How do i connect these speakers??

I just purchased this set of vintage Magneplanar MG-I ribbon loudspeakers, circa 1979, in great condition for around $100. I would like to listen to them, but know nothing about them! Problem.....they are 5ohm rated speakers. Can I connect any one of my many Crown amps to these?? Every speaker I have ever owned have been 8ohms, so I just know nothing about 5ohm speakers. Is there a special wiring job I need to do to run these things safely with my Crowns?? Or can they be connected like my 250Ti, 120Ti, and 18Ti's?? Any recommendations or suggestions?? Thank you! Geno
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    JBL:250Ti,18Ti,L77,L96,L112,L36,4412,L80T,Custom3-way
    Altec:604E,1204B,1211A,1231A,920-8B,9849-8B,511Towers

Plug 'em in! 5 ohms is no problem... there may be other issues though. A blown panel or blown ribbon tweeter etc.

Power them up moderately first and give them a spin.

Widget

I'm betting nine-to-one that the tweeters are dead!
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Magneplanars are cool - I had some MG-2Bs a few years back ...
    They are somewhat inefficient, so 150w/ch is kind of a minimum power level ...
    be sure to put them out into the room a bit (not tight against the wall) as the sound plays from the front and back.
    The older models like those can be a bit bandwidth limited on the bottom and top end ...
    I used an old M&K Volkswoofer with mine, ran it low and it filled in the bottom and blended very nicely.

Not great rock speakers - but play some jazz or Sinatra (One for the road ...!) and Frank's there in the room!

Quote Originally Posted by gmarascortt View Post
    I just purchased this set of vintage Magneplanar MG-I ribbon loudspeakers, circa 1979, in great condition for around $100. I would like to listen to them, but know nothing about them! Problem.....they are 5ohm rated speakers. Can I connect any one of my many Crown amps to these?? Every speaker I have ever owned have been 8ohms, so I just know nothing about 5ohm speakers. Is there a special wiring job I need to do to run these things safely with my Crowns?? Or can they be connected like my 250Ti, 120Ti, and 18Ti's?? Any recommendations or suggestions?? Thank you! Geno

2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Maron Horonzakz
    HJAMES,,,, WITH ALL THAT NICE GREENERY,,,IDE EXPECT TO SEE A PARRET SITTING ON TOP OF THAT PANEL,,,ALL KIDDING ASIDE I LOVED MY PANELS...BUT THE SITE WAS OVERPOWERING,,BANDWIDTH LIMITED TOP AND BOTTOM..

Quote Originally Posted by Maron Horonzakz View Post
    HJAMES,,,, WITH ALL THAT NICE GREENERY,,,I'DE EXPECT TO SEE A PARROT SITTING ON TOP OF THAT PANEL,,,ALL KIDDING ASIDE I LOVED MY PANELS...BUT THE SITE WAS OVERPOWERING,,BANDWIDTH LIMITED TOP AND BOTTOM..
    Yep, Agreed - Volkswoofer Sub added bass but there was no sizzle on top!
    Sold 'em and moved on ... but they were fun and the wife hopes we get another pair some day ...

I have heard a new model at the dealer and they are quite impressive -
    but I'm not in the market for new anything right now.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

So, gmarascortt, got 'em playing yet? I've always wanted a set of maggies just because I think they're a cool technology and look even cooler. As you stated, the vintage models are quite affordable these days and I believe Magnepan services them with ease.

Especially as a fellow TI owner, I'm curious to hear your thoughts... I always expected them to be a "huge" sound, but "velvety" with absolutely no bottom end (a problem I'm more than happen to cure).

Overall......they sound awesome! Very little base or highs, though. Also not too impressed with rock, but they sounded phenomenal with vocals...Linda Ronstadt, James Taylor, Aaron Neville, etc...Even some Jazz...Spyro Gyra, Fourplay, etc.. They really need high amps to push them. First I auditioned my Crown Powerline 4......not enough. Then I tried the DC 300-A II, still no good. Lastly, my Crown Macro Reference lit them up! Wish I had 2 Macros. Final impression: They sound pretty darn good for $100 bucks! But I am not quite ready to give up the 250 Ti's! I will keep the Magneplanars for a few months....them sell them.
    JBL:250Ti,18Ti,L77,L96,L112,L36,4412,L80T,Custom3-way
    Altec:604E,1204B,1211A,1231A,920-8B,9849-8B,511Towers

Hummm... I wonder why the highs are lackluster...? I figured if anything they would be too bright (based only on observation of the design)? Maybe a nice and affordable set of 044Tis would kick them into gear?

Anyhow, I'm game if you want to double your money when you're ready. I would probably hang on to them (no matter how they sounded) just because I think they're a really neat idea and look way cool.

Slightly the same reasoning for why I keep my Bose Acoustimass Home Theater (AM-5, AM-7, + JBL S Center... I just couldn't tolerate the AMs on the center... horrific) around... Compact, visually interesting, and impressive to those that don't know the difference. Those people get really excited about the Bose cubes... It's fun to watch their reaction to what they think are good speakers... Then I walk them downstairs to "the show"...

Yes.. I actually have a "teaser" H/T rig in the name if ridiculing those ridiculous little cubes. For what I paid for them on Ebay (about $300 for the entire 5 channel rig, plus a decent Pioneer AVR) they are actually quite decent. At their original retail cost, you'd have to be brain dead with your ears full of sand...

Thread Information