Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rock Stars?

samtastic

Rock Stars?

Hi Guys, I am Samtastic, the girlfriend of Infredible who has opened up my ears to a whole new world of sound thanks to his obsession with JBL. The first night, when we got our 4343s, I was in tears when I heard how incredible the sound was compared to what we had before.

When Infredible and I sit down to dinner, our conversation sometimes consists of four of our favourite topics. food, work, fast cars and JBL.

Over a baked potato, smothered in butter, cheese and cream earlier tonight, a puzzling question popped into my head. Infredible was making a checklist (again!) of all the audio equipment he is going to buy, when he wins the lottery. "Infredible?", I asked him, " what sound systems do really really rich rock stars buy, when money is no object?" I am thinking mega stars with taste, like David Bowie and Mick Jagger (hey, forgive me for the bias, I'm English!).

Do real rock stars use JBL - do any of them have a JBL soul? If not, what do they buy instead? Does anyone really know...(or care)

PS - i was at Mr. Widget's on sunday, and technically I am not sure what his system is, but all i can say is that it was sending shivers down my spine and making the hairs on my neck stand up on end. wow!

Sam

Last edited by samtastic; 10-13-2004 at 11:01 PM.

Hello Sam

That's good question I have heard some studio stories but don't really know if they take them home. I am curious too. Glad you like the 4343's nice speakers!

Rob

Obsolete
    Originally posted by samtastic
    PS - i was at Mr. Widget's on sunday, and technically I am not sure what his system is, but all i can say is that it was sending shivers down my spine and making the hairs on my neck stand up on end. wow!
    Tri-amped Project May components with a few 1500SUBs thrown in perhaps?

Altec once placed a print ad in the mid 70's showing Rod Stewart's custom install consisting of twin 416's, 802/511B and what looked like a another 802 with no horn attached acting as a tweeter. I have this ad somewhere, but a quick search did not reveal its hiding place.

My impression is that most rock stars are not audiophiles. Stereophile used to regularly ask musicians they profiled about their home systems and the vast majority listed mid fi systems at best. The few episodes of "Cribs" that I have seen showed a preference for home theatre systems with hidden, in-wall speakers. One exception was a rapper whose name I cannot remember, that had the top-of-the-line JBL Studio Series speakers. However, by any definition, this would still be a mid-fi system.
    Regards

Don McRitchie

Rock Stars...??

Hey Widget - is that you? I knew you had a supressed desire to post in hot-pink! You rascal, you...

We know Entwistle had a pair, but mod'd them in his own style.

Most rock stars live in VW busses running around the world trying to fill stadiums and when home, listen to iPods...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Re: Rock Stars?

Originally posted by samtastic
    ...PS - i was at Mr. Widget's on sunday, and technically I am not sure what his system is, but all i can say is that it was sending shivers down my spine and making the hairs on my neck stand up on end. wow!
    Yea, but what about his stereo...?
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Alex Lancaster

Wink

I think She was referring to his router.

Dood!!
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Re: Re: Rock Stars?

Originally posted by boputnam
    Yea, but what about his stereo...?
    O your terrible!

Even worse than me, keep it up, carry on!

Obsolete

Re: Rock Stars...??

Originally posted by boputnam
    Hey Widget - is that you? I knew you had a supressed desire to post in hot-pink! You rascal, you...
    Holy cow! The Widget is Infredible's girlfriend? Who'd a thunk it! I'm always the last to know!

You guys should run when Widget comes online

samtastic
    Yes, gentlemen, what a cheeky bunch you are. From experience I know Mr Widget is fast so you're all for it soon...
    [

samtastic
    My impression is that most rock stars are not audiophiles. Stereophile used to regularly ask musicians they profiled about their home systems and the vast majority listed mid fi systems at best. The few episodes of "Cribs"
    So, so far we have Rod Stewart and Jon Entwhistle (at least the Brits are coming through), but I guess I am disappointed. You would think that famous rock stars, who obviously spend a lot of time in studios and whose career is based on sound, might afford to be a little more choosy when it comes to putting together their own audio equipment. I guess Bling Bling is more important to them these days, especially in the land of 'Crib' - thanks for that reminder btw, I must remember to check that show out again...

Just who is Samtastic?

Originally posted by Giskard
    Tri-amped Project May components with a few 1500SUBs thrown in perhaps?
    No, I still haven't put wires to any of the Project May stuff. Well I am using one pair of the woofers... it was the 1500AL woofers and that other brand that was the cause of her shivers... pretty amazing too since we have been having a bit of a heat wave here in SF.

Widget

Originally posted by Guido
    You guys should run when Widget comes online

I was just in too much pain laughing.

Widget

Thread Information