Thread: Please help me appraise vintage Altec 844A monitors w/ N-1500A crossovers

Please help me appraise vintage Altec 844A monitors w/ N-1500A crossovers

Hi all,

Forgive my complete ignorance of vintage speakers, know my total deference to your knowledge of them, and accept my sincere gratitude for your help.

I'm looking to find a good home for a pair of Altec 844A monitors, each with N-1500A crossovers. The problem is, I know next to nothing about them or what they're worth, though I get the sense that it's a not insignificant sum.

I'm not looking to squeeze top dollar out of somebody for these--I actually want to be reasonable and find them a good home. On the other hand, I don't want someone to prey on my ignorance and buy them from me, only to turn around and effortlessly resell for a tidy profit.

I've attached a couple of pictures so you get an idea of what I have--the serial number is only 119! They sound superb, but alas, I don't want them to languish in my basement unplayed--they beg to be used.

I really appreciate your help.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Are you sure the crossovers are N-1500As? That would be pretty odd for anything but a Duplex. The back panel diagram shows the expected N-800 800Hz crossover.
    Oppo BDP-95 DCX-2496 RMX-850 Parasound A21 First Watt J2 Dayton RSS390HF-4 MTM Quads of SEAS W18E001 511Bs TAD TD-2002

Quote Originally Posted by fpitas View Post
    Are you sure the crossovers are N-1500As? That would be pretty odd for anything but a Duplex. The back panel diagram shows the expected N-800 800Hz crossover.
    Without your help, I wouldn't even have known that these are not in original condition...much as I respect and marvel at our audio heritage, I just don't know much about it, so thank you. They're N-1500As, as shown in the photograph.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Not sure what a non-stock crossover does to the value. It may be worth getting N-800s and replacing the N-1500s; you could probably sell the N-1500s. The Altec guys may have some advice:

http://www.hostboard.com/forums/f700/altec-users-board.html

Even if you keep them, you'll want the right crossovers. The N-1500s will make those very odd-sounding speakers.
    Oppo BDP-95 DCX-2496 RMX-850 Parasound A21 First Watt J2 Dayton RSS390HF-4 MTM Quads of SEAS W18E001 511Bs TAD TD-2002

Thread Information