Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Third Annual Lansing Heritage Awards

Thanks for shareing

Outstanding Evening!

The Washington crew had a wonderful time. I want to thank our hosts Doug and Annie plus Dave, George and Shane for all their work that made the event the success that it was. It was great to see Doug, Greg and Jerry turn out to support this year honorees Dan, Mark and Paul. Our fearless leader Don was a surprise guest and contributed greatly to the presentations. We left town in really high spirits after our visit to San Pedro.

Mike
    Vertical horn kind of guy

Quote Originally Posted by jbljfan View Post
    The Washington crew had a wonderful time. I want to thank our hosts Doug and Annie plus Dave, George and Shane for all their work that made the event the success that it was. It was great to see Doug, Greg and Jerry turn out to support this year honorees Dan, Mark and Paul. Our fearless leader Don was a surprise guest and contributed greatly to the presentations. We left town in really high spirits after our visit to San Pedro.

Mike
    Thanks Mike and Jennifer for the case of Woodward Canyon Columbia Valley Red Wine you shipped down for the event. With nine bottles consumed during the event, plus some Chardonnay, Pinot Grigio, Blue Moon, and Sam Adams Summer Ale vanishing as the night went on, I think everyone had a shot at "high spirits" whether they loved JBLs or not. (I'm not saying the ladies drank most of the wine, but I saw Annie, Jenn, Tammy, Liz, and Shannon laughing at us, I mean of course with us while refueling... uh, well, nod, nod, wink, wink, say no more. They can't see this, right?)

Thanks to both of you for sending such a generous and welcome gift for the event! It was truly appreciated by all.

Name:  Screen Shot 2014-06-03 at 4.02.13 PM.jpg
Views: 1241
Size:  40.7 KB
    Out.

This year’s event had a comfortable feeling that was a bit different than the previous events. I would venture to say there was less music/hardware involvement and more conversation and personal interaction. And not just audio related conversation. I noticed the JBL honorees were catching up on all things past and present. All of us, JBL insiders and Forum members alike, are becoming more comfortable in the short time shared over these evenings. My wife had a nice conversation with Jerry Morro and his wife about Chicago (both were raised there). I got a kick out of a comment from Jerry’s wife that she was so glad to see people appreciative of his work. She’s “in insurance” and nobody has ever made a fuss over what she does.

The evening was a delight in southern California fashion with the gentle breezes coming up from the water a few miles away. Doug and Annie are so very welcoming to their home. This year the home was lighter on JBL systems than in the past. No doubt a little satisfying to Annie but at the same time the focus seemed to be more on personal interaction his year, anyway. The hardware library display in the garage was a treat, as always.

Dan Ashcraft is easy conversationalist and more than willing to talk about his craft. He has not been involved in JBL products as much as in the past. His (firm’s) involvement in system design starts with a pile of parts, some design specs to adhere to, and he takes it from there. His work was not limited to JBL in the Harman family. His design studies included scale modeling up to and including clay mock ups. As you could guess most of the design is CAD these days with some modeling done. His team has to have knowledge of more than artistic design. The design project will include knowing parts sources, vendor sources, cost analysis, etc.

Mark Gander and his wife Renee were a treat to talk with. Mark is about an open personality as they come. A good hearted sense of humor and no pretensions whatsoever. I had a very pleasant chat about the pro product side of the business and the genesis of the Cabaret series. At one point he was testing the audience to sift out any Altec v. JBL partisans. No takers however, as most were strictly JBL oriented. He mentioned he was looking at Altec as well as JBL for career opportunities. All agreed he made the better choice.

I did not have a chance to speak with Paul Bente directly, unfortunately. He was busy catching up on things with Greg, Dan, Jerry, Doug and Mark. Paul related a couple of stories in his acceptance of the Lansing Heritage award. One was the Japan trip that was documented in the forum by Don McRitchie in a sort of travelogue. Paul mentioned wondering how he was convinced to travel 3 hours by train from Tokyo to visit a very small Jazz club hosted by a vintage JBL collector. This was the club with the custom horn and dual woofer system that looks like the model used in the Mormon Tabernacle.

Next he mentioned a trip to England and the Royal Albert Hall for events surrounding the Cream Reunion. A special invitation was arranged as JBL was prime sound vendor. Paul didn’t seem to need more than an opportunity to seek out such exclusive invitations as President of the division. Road Trip, indeed! Anyway he said he was sitting back stage during a warm up or practice, or something similar, when Eric Clapton came back stage full of praise for having JBL on the project. Paul, meanwhile, is the beaming Cheshire cat sitting in the corner on a road case. Also, a similar experience meeting Paul McCartney in his practice sessions in the London Millennium Dome. He was able to talk with Paul who was full of praise for JBL equipment. I think Paul stated that all he could say to Sir Paul at that point was “thank you”.

Final story from Paul. Apparently oft told within JBL. I can only paraphrase here. He had arranged for a full AV/HiFi install for Sydney Harman (Dr. Harman within the firm) at his new Washington DC home. Didn’t get too specific about hardware but mentioned 250Tis. Well all was set up in anticipation of an important gathering Dr. Harman was having in the residence. All had to be perfect as Dr. Harman intended to provide his guests an aural sample of Harman Kardon products at their finest. Paul assured Dr. Harman that all was tested and ready to go. Well the night of the event Dr. Harman was having difficulties getting any sound from the system. Finally, after turning knobs and pressing all combinations of buttons he got Paul on the line. Paul went into character affecting a Sydney Harman voice. A shout from the crowd stated that Paul had the best “Dr. Harman voice”. Paul answers with “hello”. “Paul”, the voice answered., “Sydney Harman, here. Paul, I seem to have a problem getting any sound from the system. I was assured all was ready to go”. Paul reassured Dr. Harman. Using a trick from experience of the times, Paul asked if the tape monitor was switched in. Paul relates the answer back from Harman as something to the effect “Paul, I designed the damn thing. I should know how the tape circuit works.” Paul kindly asked him to check, anyway. A few moments holding on the line when all of the sudden Paul heard over the line a bellowing “130dB” sound coming through the lines. The volume dropped off quickly. Dr. Harman came back on the line…”Paul, everything is fine. Good night, Paul.”

Another person I did not have time to talk with is Don McRitchie. Don spoke at each award presentation with the effect of speaking for all of us in thanking each of the honorees for the assistance and accessibility afforded by all involved at JBL and elsewhere. Even though the early days of the forum were a bit rough in terms of inside cooperation, it was matter of finding folks like Mark Gander who were able to open some doors. Greg got a chuckle for stating he sometimes has to refer to the site because some of the information is no longer inside the company.

Greg chimed in after one of the honorees talk his oft repeated words on how at first the idea of attending a fan fest with a bunch of who-knows-what kind of characters you could expect to find at such functions. After being there for the evening all apprehension fades away in terms of shared appreciation of how good sound leads to good music listening. Greg mentions difficulties explaining this to other potential honorees, kind of saying there is no explanation, you just have to experience it.

My thanks again to Doug, Annie, George, Dave, Shane, Bart and those I may have left out for the time taken to make the event special. Hell, even my wife Suzy enjoyed herself. She found out, like Greg said, you just have to experience it.
    David F
    San Jose

Obsolete
    Thank you very much for this. It is appreciated!

Doug and Jerry both expressed this morning that they had a great time.

This was my first time and I didn't completely know what to expect. The only two people I had previously met face to face was Greg and Jerry. I have talked and traded with several folks who attended but that was it.

Shane who I have talked to met me at the gate and let me in to unload some goodies and he is much like I imagined I was pleased to find out, young, happy and energetic. The next person I met was Dave/Grumpy, have you ever met someone and knew at once that you liked them? That's how it was with these two, and many of the others. I didn't meet everyone sorry to say, the evening sped by and before I knew it the time had come to load up and scoot.

Paul's Sidney story was indeed very funny and well told.

All the JBL guys were easy to talk to and really seemed to enjoy coming to know how much their endevours are appreciated by us. JBL has truly increased my quality of life, and I told them so. I have the office 4435's running fairly loud as I type and they just continually delight me as do the others.

What I do is really background engineering much like what Greg, Jerry, Doug and Dan do and it is for me most gratifying when a genuine thank you comes back from the front lines and I hope it was the same for them. I think it was. It seems that way for Paul as well when he told of the McCartney and Clapton experiences.

I was delighted to spend some time discussing the merits of DSP with GT. We most certainly only scratched the surface. I asked him about his experience with the lowly DBX260 and he told me that he made sure that the gains throughout it were at unity and very plainly said when inserted into his Everest sytem that he could not hear it, period. A full A to D and D to A conversion in an otherwise all analog system and it was absolutely undetectable. He said that perhaps once you started adding filters and signal delay that there might be something but he couldn't detect anything and the gains over the passive networks were substantial. That is damn nice to know as I have those things scattered all over around here and I sometimes wonder what I don't hear that so many others claim to hear. I have fully put that worry to rest. Thank you Mr Timbers!

Jerry is always a treat for a driver geek like me to talk with. I get to thinking that I have a pretty good handle on the science and in a minute with him and I realize that my knowledge is meager indeed. Thank you Jerry for tolerating my questions and curiosity. You're a great guy!

I didn't do to well on pictures and Grumpy coverd things pretty well. I have a couple to download when I get a minute but the low light, in which I was very comfortable in by the way beat up on my lack of camera skills but it's not a photo contest so I will swallow my pride and share some.

Annie and Ti, well done. George, you absolutely rock! Please don't forget to send me the recepie for the desert. Any desert that requires a torch in the kitchen is a grand slam with me!

A very sincere thank you to all who worked to make this a very enjoyable evening. One of the real treats of the evening was to be completely surrounded by well mannered inteligent people, McKenzee and I had a great time.

Thanks again to all.

Barry.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

What's That?

In grumpy's post of the Timbers Arrays, there's a small plate visible in the horn in the second picture. Here's a full on view.

Name:  Timbers Arrays Plate.jpg
Views: 1038
Size:  49.2 KB
    Out.

Been in travel mode for the past couple of weeks so it's taken me a bit of time to get these photos up. I'm leaving out the gear photos as nothing I have is as good as what has been previously posted in this thread.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

With all of the posts above, it should be clear by now that May 31st was an extraordinary day. Quite honestly, I did not think it would be possible to get the six current and past honorees at one event. Kudos to Doug for making that happen. Beyond the honorees' invaluable contributions to the heritage and legacy of JBL, each of the six have been instrumental in whatever level of success that this website has achieved. Having the opportunity for members of our forum to interact with some of the most influential people, not just at JBL, but in the loudspeaker industry, was an unparalleled opportunity. I heard nothing but positive comments from anyone I talked to,

Thanks has to go to Doug and Annie as the organizers and impeccable hosts of this event. Further thanks to George's for his superb cuisine. I know numerous others were involved in preparing for this event, but I unfortunately do not know all of the names. Nonetheless, their efforts were certainly appreciated by me.
    Regards

Don McRitchie

Don, glad you could make it. It was a delight to see you again.

Thanks for posting your pictures, and thanks for making me look good in one of them. That rarely happens.

---------------------

Now I know some of the rest of you got some pictures, so can you find at least one to share?
    Out.

Probably easier to put a face to a name for the attendees.

Just curious what Greg's shirt says underneath the JBL logo. Is it something as banal as his full name, or something more interesting? (Made in Mexico?) Just kidding, but I am curious.

And the embroidered logo on George's (?) apron? Who had that done? Nice touch!
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Wonderful Photo's Don , absolutely wonderful . You captured the grace of these giants !

JBL has made my world better place ….. they provide the soundtrack to my life !

I'm very grateful to be part of this institution .

best wishes to all , Richard

Thread Information