Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Third Annual Lansing Heritage Awards

Re: Maxed Out

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    As of today, I cannot guarantee any more reservations. If you'd like to be on a waiting list, then I'd be willing to start one. Tony and Mark can claim the final spots, which puts me at 31.
    Congratulations!

It sounds like it will be one hell of a fun time... you had me when you announced Dan Ashcraft. As a fellow Art Center Alumnus, I'd have loved to chat him up about his design process. Unfortunately I'll be away on vacation and will miss the party.

I hope and expect it'll be we'll documented for the many of us who can not attend.

Widget

Thumbs up !!!!

I've been busy this weekend working on the plaques and the commemorative sheets for the honorees. This is going to be one super duper event! I'll be sending out full details to all the confirmed attendees this week, as we're a mere three weeks away.

Those of you who are coming might want to think about a question or comment you'd like to pose at the event. With six JBL talents in the room, you've got to have at least one thing to say, right?

Paul Bente
    Mark Gander
    Dan Ashcraft
    Jerry Moro
    Doug Button
    GregTimbers

Also, there will be more room than ever for a JBL museum, so I'll be reaching out to some of the usual suspects to bring in their JBL odds and sods. Anybody got a JBL/WHO t-shirt for Curator Shane? (See what I did there?)
    Out.

Cool Special Notice: Bribe

Registration is closed, but anyone who can get a pair of M2s over here to demo at the event will get in free. Seriously.
    Out.

All In.

The final confirmations have gone out by email. If you were expecting something and haven't received it, contact me via PM after you've checked your spam filter.

We're less than two weeks away, and the excitement's building as a couple more surprise guests have been added to the event.

I capped the event at 36 people. This way my house will still be standing in the morning, and my neighbors may not kick me out of the HOA.
    Out.

would you mind if I bring the Buggy for the event... ? Know we can't play it(neighbors) but a tribute to my verson of a set of 250/XPL's in a vehicle...

http://youtu.be/YYvyqsNnROc

Well, that was a really fun evening with a lot of great folks, great food, and great conversation. Kudos and thanks to Doug and Annie for graciously hosting.
    When faced with another JBL find, Good mech986 says , JBL Fan mech986 says

A great evening! Thanks to Doug and Annie for hosting and great conversation, George for ruining my diet, and the rest of you for making me feel normal again - my wife almost had me convinced there was something wrong with me. After meeting a few of you, I realize there is still some distance left to the end of the spectrum
    That the internet contains a blog documenting your life does not constitute proof that your existence is valid. Sorry.

Lansing Heritage Awards: photos

It was a fantastic event to put faces to names, meet old friends, and make new ones.
    A big thanks to the organizers, honorees, sharers of gear, and sharers of stories.

Hoping others were able to capture more moments and will post likewise.

A great time as always.

-dave/grumpy

Name:  DSC_3868_1.JPG
Views: 867
Size:  401.3 KBName:  DSC_3872_35.JPG
Views: 907
Size:  463.1 KBName:  DSC_3873_5.JPG
Views: 882
Size:  521.9 KBName:  DSC_3874_36.JPG
Views: 861
Size:  474.9 KBName:  DSC_3875_6.JPG
Views: 876
Size:  507.9 KB

Name:  DSC_3876_37.JPG
Views: 782
Size:  462.6 KBName:  DSC_3877_38.JPG
Views: 766
Size:  307.9 KBName:  DSC_3878_7.JPG
Views: 763
Size:  300.1 KBName:  DSC_3879_8.JPG
Views: 849
Size:  304.2 KBName:  DSC_3881_10.JPG
Views: 767
Size:  272.3 KB

Name:  DSC_3884_13.JPG
Views: 838
Size:  497.8 KBName:  DSC_3885_14.JPG
Views: 781
Size:  524.9 KBName:  DSC_3888_17.JPG
Views: 783
Size:  500.2 KBName:  DSC_3889_18.JPG
Views: 802
Size:  494.1 KBName:  DSC_3896_24.JPG
Views: 763
Size:  233.7 KB

Name:  DSC_3897_25.JPG
Views: 780
Size:  246.3 KBName:  DSC_3901_29.JPG
Views: 793
Size:  493.9 KBName:  DSC_3902_30.JPG
Views: 711
Size:  498.2 KBName:  DSC_3905_33.JPG
Views: 801
Size:  301.9 KBName:  DSC_3906_34.JPG
Views: 784
Size:  300.2 KB

Wow! What a night.

As is often the case, in the run up to the third awards event, I started questioning my sanity. Thanks to Dave (grumpy), Shane (JuniorJBL), and Chef George (gcarlberg), we got everything together with an hour to spare, and George mused, "This doesn't seem right. We've never been ready early. There has to be something we missed."

Happily, we were truly ready!

Barry (1audiohack) and Mackenzie showed up around 4:30 with a Suburban full of gear, Don McRichie showed up around 5:00, and from then on things started rolling! Bart (mech986) showed up with a van full of gear and then some, and Tony (stony22) and Doug Button rounded out the exhibitors. Of course, I had a bunch of odd bits out there as well. I hope somebody got a few shots of the equipment exhibit.

Eventually we had close to 40 JBL fans (and friends) in the house! Chef George wowed them all with his now famous, official Lansing Heritage Awards tenderloin dinner, and all of our previous honorees were there, including Greg Timbers, Jerry Moro, and Doug Button. Our current honorees--Dan Ashcraft, Mark Gander, and Paul Bente--and their wives were very happy to see old friends and faces, and seemed genuinely to enjoy meeting new friends as well.

Their acceptance speeches were well-received and full of tidbits you just don't get to hear all that often. We were listening to every word as they spoke about their careers and their adventures at JBL.

Don McRitchie was a source of lots of additional information and commentary, and he was ever-present in the milling crowd. I was looking forward to a ride in his Corvette, but alas he didn't drive it down.

In a ladies-only raffle, Michelle won the $50 gift certificate to Outback Steakhouse with her riveting tale of Walter's (wsilva) acquisition of an abandoned B460 and the role she got to play in the drama. Just for knowing it was a B460 was worth bonus points, and the luck of the draw favored her.

Female participation was at an all-time high with 13, and the general consensus was that while some of us have some JBL issues that need reflecting upon, none of us are as far out as formerly thought. Well, maybe except for the couple of comments I overheard: "Don't think you're going to get this much stuff into my house," and "Annie must be very understanding, because I'll never let you put speakers in every room."

We had Manitoba, Washington, Oregon, Nevada, Florida, and California in the house. Unfortunately, our Texas delegation couldn't make it.

Although I hesitated to put the L100 in the demo mix this year--hadn't done it before--they were one of the fan favorites, especially for those of us from the HS graduating classes of '69–'74.

Others can chime in as they will on the other systems and the evening, but it was a great night and truly an event to remember.

Thanks to all who attended and who had a good time while respecting our home and being such considerate guests.

Thanks to Jerry, Doug, Mark, Dan, Paul, and their wives for taking the time to come out to be with us. It was an honor to have you in our home.

Special thanks go to Greg Timbers for continuing to support the event as the Honorary Chair and for opening doors that I don't have keys to. I tease him a little about being our "spiritual leader," but he truly exemplifies the spirit of JBL and the Lansing Heritage, and it was clear to all last night that Jerry, Doug, Mark, Dan, and Paul have that spirit in them as well: commitment to excellence, a love for what they do, a sense of true dedication to their crafts and the products they make, and a simple, decent humanity with their feet squarely on the ground.

Out.

It was truly a superb event, and a lovely venue/menu. Very cool to see our corner of the web drawing the JBL heavy hitters to come hang out with a bunch of "fanboys".

Wonderful

Thankyou Doug, Annie, George, Greg, Don, Dave, Barry, Bart, Shane, Tony and Doug B. for creating such a great event.
    I have to say my favorite part was Don McRichie's "interruptions" of the presentations to voice his personal views on the importance & contributions of the honorees' to JBL and to the Lansing Heritage community. I was very pleased that he could be there. Great!
    glen

"Make it sound like dinosaurs eating cars"
    - Nick Lowe, while producing Elvis Costello

Thanks for sharing the pictures (very nicely done I might add) and the write up about the event!

Thread Information