Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Third Annual Lansing Heritage Awards

JBL's Industrial Design

You can find out more about Dan and his work at this link, right here on Lansing Heritage.

http://www.audioheritage.org/html/pe...ind-design.htm
    Out.

Oh this should be lots of fun!! Thanks TD!!
    Always fun learning more.......

Mark Gander

For those who've been paying attention, whenever there's a mention of the JBL M2 in a serious publication, review, video, or press release, it's Mark Gander who is the point man for JBL Pro. Mark's been in, around, up, and down virtually every facet of JBL over his 38 years and brings a treasure trove of experience, innovation, leadership, and advocacy wherever he goes.

There are three or four threads on the Master Reference Monitor (M2) on LH right now, full of questions, experimentation, and speculation. Someone who attends the May 31st Lansing Heritage Awards will be able to get answers and insight from someone who knows them inside and out. Needless to say, Mark's expertise goes far beyond the M2, so read his bio below.

My question for Mark and Dan: When will Ashcraft Design and the M2 have a baby?

Mark Gander

Mark R. Gander earned a B.S. degree in Audio Technology and media studies from Syracuse University in 1974 and worked as a sound engineer and audio systems designer in broadcasting, studio recording, and concert sound reinforcement. In 1976 he received an M.S.E.E. from The Georgia Institute of Technology, specializing in audio electronics and instrumentation, which included the multidisciplinary program in Acoustical Engineering. That year he joined James B. Lansing Sound, Inc., where he had design responsibility for various consumer and professional loudspeaker products. At JBL, he has held positions as transducer engineer, applications engineer, product manager, vice-president marketing, vice-president engineering and vice-president of strategic development. He is currently serving as Director of JBL Technology for JBL Professional.

In his time as a design engineer, Gander was system engineer for the L40, L50, L220 and L222 hi-fi systems in the late 1970s. He was the designer of the Cabaret® Series, first introduced in 1979 and one of the earliest available packaged portable PA system product lines for musicians. He was a member of the team which developed the scientific understanding for and engineered the transition of JBL cone transducers from the original Alnico magnet structure designs of Lansing to the new SFG – Symmetrical Field Geometry enhanced ferrite topologies. He was the principal engineer for the development of the E-Series musical instrument transducers from the previous K-Series and original D/F Series models. In his product management role at JBL, Gander conceived of the concept for the 2225 pro 15” transducer including its coil-excursion-balanced suspension for low distortion and high power handling.

Gander was the first Marketing Vice President for the newly formed JBL Professional in 1985, and continued to lead product development for the company, having conceptualized and named such products as the Flat-Front Bi-Radial® horns, Array Series, ScreenArray®, VerTec® and VRX Series. He was instrumental in building the relationships that created the JBL tour sound “racing team” of leading rental providers who rely on JBL loudspeakers for major international entertainment events, as well as building JBL’s 1980s resurgence in the cinema market to its position as the supplier of the majority of the motion picture theatre loudspeakers worldwide.

Mr. Gander has had numerous papers published in the Journal of the Audio Engineering Society as well as articles in the trade and popular audio press, was the editor of Volumes 3 and 4 of the AES Anthology Loudspeakers, and is one of the authors of The Loudspeaker and Headphone Handbook. He has been active in various trade organizations and has appeared in a number of forums discussing audio industry technical and business issues. In 1994 he received an AES Fellowship for significant developments in low-frequency transducer design and measurement, and in loudspeaker systems for large-scale music reinforcement, and that year he was elected to serve as a Governor of the Society. In 2007 he was elected to a term as a Governor of InfoComm International. He is also a member of the Acoustical Society of America, the IEEE, and the Society of Motion Picture and Television Engineers.

In 2014 Mr. Gander celebrates his 38th year with JBL.
    Out.

More On Mark

Check out Mark's Cabaret Series here on Lansing Heritage:

http://www.audioheritage.org/html/pr...bl/cabaret.htm

Love the hair, 'cuz it's long like mine was (when I had hair).
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    Check out Mark's Cabaret Series here on Lansing Heritage:

http://www.audioheritage.org/html/pr...bl/cabaret.htm

Love the hair, 'cuz it's long like mine was (when I had hair).
    I've got a pair of those, 470's I believe.

Greetings, All,

I was blessed to have been able to meet Mark Gander at a NAMM Show, many years ago. He was running the JBL booth, and spent a good bit of time with me, talking up the merits of the then brand new 2235H driver! I had a one-horse little company, called "Cynmar Sound Systems", building systems for local San Diego bands, and also for Hi-Fi enthusiasts. Never made much money, but I surely did have a grand time designing, and then building speaker systems, and used a bunch of JBL, Altec, and EV components in my designs. Mark was very knowledgeable, and exceedingly sharing of his information, and his enthusiasm for JBL, and the 2235H driver, was infectious!!

I surely do wish Lady Cynthia and myself could join in again this year at TD's for the latest LHA get together!!! It would be wonderful to see all of those who attend that soiree, and to see the JBL Gentlemen, and thank Mark Gander for his kindness and sharing nature, from all those years ago!! Fun!! We will be there vicariously, I guess, but that's just not the same as being there in person!! Have a grand time, friends, and, know that we wish we were going to be there with you!! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Mark
    The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

This happens to be the same weekend as the "THE" Show in Newport, for out-of-towners, there's another event an hour south for Fri/Sun fun. I'm working on my scheduling, going to try to do both. Will confirm w Titty dome in next few days.

Mark,
    The two of you will be missed. Sorry that you will not be able to attend!

Thanks again TD for this wonderful opportunity!!

JJ

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Mark View Post
    Greetings, All,

I was blessed to have been able to meet Mark Gander at a NAMM Show, many years ago. He was running the JBL booth, and spent a good bit of time with me, talking up the merits of the then brand new 2235H driver! I had a one-horse little company, called "Cynmar Sound Systems", building systems for local San Diego bands, and also for Hi-Fi enthusiasts. Never made much money, but I surely did have a grand time designing, and then building speaker systems, and used a bunch of JBL, Altec, and EV components in my designs. Mark was very knowledgeable, and exceedingly sharing of his information, and his enthusiasm for JBL, and the 2235H driver, was infectious!!

I surely do wish Lady Cynthia and myself could join in again this year at TD's for the latest LHA get together!!! It would be wonderful to see all of those who attend that soiree, and to see the JBL Gentlemen, and thank Mark Gander for his kindness and sharing nature, from all those years ago!! Fun!! We will be there vicariously, I guess, but that's just not the same as being there in person!! Have a grand time, friends, and, know that we wish we were going to be there with you!! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Mark

Evening, JJ,

Thank you, very much, and we'll miss seeing you, too. Saw your eBay listing for your L300's, and I wish you total success in sending them to a new home, and making your 4345's a reality. If there was any speaker that might tempt me away for the L300's, it would probably be the 4345's. That's one reason why I keep working towards cobbling up something close, just to gauge the experience. Again, have fun, and good luck on your sale. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc
    The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

TI, I'm sending a link to the event to a new member but also a JBL enthusiast in San Diego. Still have room?
    When faced with another JBL find, Good mech986 says , JBL Fan mech986 says

Quote Originally Posted by mech986 View Post
    TI, I'm sending a link to the event to a new member but also a JBL enthusiast in San Diego. Still have room?
    Yes, there's room for one more.

I might need to rent a couple of chairs.

Does he have a pair of M2s he can bring?
    Out.

I just wanted to let you know TD, that Mark and I are planning on attending again this year, Hope I'm not too late..

Maxed Out

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    Okay, suddenly we're just 60 days out from the May 31st event! Time to set a deadline.

I can accept reservations until May 15 unless I get 30 reservations before that date, then it'll be waiting list time.

There are already 17 commitments, so don't wait too long.

Come by yourself? $30

Come in a pair? $50

It's all inclusive: gourmet meal by Chef George Carlberg, beverages, awards, meet and greet with our two honorees (and a possible third surprise honoree), browse the attendee JBL displays in the JBL museum (my garage), listen to K2 S9900, DX-1/Timbers Arrays, BSS/PT250, S308, Synthesis® One Array, meet a past winner or two, and more!
    As of today, I cannot guarantee any more reservations. If you'd like to be on a waiting list, then I'd be willing to start one. Tony and Mark can claim the final spots, which puts me at 31.
    Out.

The Third Honoree Is...

I'm pleased to announce that Paul Bente will be our third honoree. He and his wife will be flying out to attend the event, and a pleasant time awaits all who come. Paul's bio is below.

Born in New York in 1952, Paul grew up in a Navy family and lived all over the States andoverseas before finally settling in the Washington D.C. Suburbs.

While attending the University of Maryland, Paul caught a serious case of Hi-Fi fever and beganbuilding kit amplifiers and cobbled together a few pair of speakers. Not satisfied with this, hequickly found a job at a local “Stereo Store” and worked after classes to support his habit. Hetraded his part time paychecks and commissions for the latest gear including his first pair ofJBL’s , L-100’s. Instead of pursuing a career in his chosen major, journalism, Paul along with acouple of University friends opened a Hi-Fi Store in College Park, adjacent to the University ofMaryland Campus. The enterprise was a quick success and added two more stores over the next few years. Finding the partnership a daily challenge, Paul sold his stake in the Hi-Fi chainand started work with Harman after being recruited by the Chairman, Sidney Harman who alsolived in the D.C. Area.

Serving as regional sales manager for JBL and Harman/Kardon, Paul demonstrated his ability topromote the brands, grow sales and profits and was promoted to VP of Sales after three shortyears. As Harman pushed to expand their overseas business Paul was offered a position as Salesand Marketing Director at the new European HQ in Denmark. The Bente family relocated towonderful Copenhagen and began a fantastic European adventure. Paul, alongside a verytalented European Team mapped out a winning marketing strategy that pushed Harman/JBLsales to record levels, even surpassing the U.S. business. After an enjoyable and educationalfive years in Denmark, Paul and family decided it was time to go back to the states.

Upon returning, Paul worked on Harman Consumer Group special projects until being offeredthe JBL Consumer CEO role. Paul supported by a top notch sales and product developmentteam revitalized a lackluster American based JBL business and pushed JBL to a significantposition in the global market. With the help of JBL Professional, Eric Clapton, the Who, PaulMcCartney and The Eagles, tour sponsorships were organized in support of Harman Brandawareness as a result of Paul’s efforts. After a global reorganization by a new corporateExecutive Team, Paul was asked to anchor the new Harman China HQ and build a local andregional marketing team. Successfully completing the task after two years in Shanghai, Paul leftHarman to begin a global consulting firm specializing in Consumer electronics. Paul and his dearwife Sherlie live in Lakewood Ranch, Florida on the Gulf Coast. Paul still cherishes his JBLEverest system and remains a dedicated audiophile.

JBL Consumer Programs that Paul Championed:
    Everest DD66000
    Project Array
    K2 S9800

Performance Series
    Studio L
    Control Now
    Studio Series
    Northridge Series

I'm also happy to note that Jerry Moro and his wife will be coming back for the event, and there's a chance we'll see Doug Button again as well!
    Out.

Absolutely fantastic Ti!!

Thanks for your commitment to this event. It has been well worth the time and then some!!

Thread Information