Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Third Annual Lansing Heritage Awards

My calendar has been updated accordingly!

Count me in!
    When faced with another JBL find, Good mech986 says , JBL Fan mech986 says

I might be able to attend. Do you have a location as of yet? (I am close BTW)

Quote Originally Posted by big2bird View Post
    I might be able to attend. Do you have a location as of yet? (I am close BTW)
    The 2014 event is scheduled for the Harbor Area of LA/Long Beach. It's a nice drive up the 405 to the 710.

This may change moderately as I'm possibly selling my house, but the event will go on as scheduled regardless. I have several options should I get lucky and sell before then.

If there's a 2015 Heritage Awards, it might just be in the CA Central Coast/Bay Area (probably at Widget's castle, though I haven't asked him yet ).
    Out.

Ah yes, Chataeu Widget!

So, you are moving?! What about the three Jims?

Widget

Ah yes, the Noble Widget estate!!
    It would be fun!!
    Always fun learning more.......

Hey, TD,

Well, darn it!! Looks like Cynthia and I will have to miss this wonderful event again! We have a job scheduled for May 31st, and will be working both before and after that special day! Shucks, Rats and Mice, and Heckuba!! I know everyone will have a fine time, as usual, and both Cynthia and I will miss being there again, not only for the JBL's and outstanding comestibles, but also for the stellar company!! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Mark
    The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

Mark, Cynthia

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Mark View Post
    Hey, TD,

Well, darn it!! Looks like Cynthia and I will have to miss this wonderful event again! We have a job scheduled for May 31st, and will be working both before and after that special day! Shucks, Rats and Mice, and Heckuba!! I know everyone will have a fine time, as usual, and both Cynthia and I will miss being there again, not only for the JBL's and outstanding comestibles, but also for the stellar company!! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Mark
    Very sorry to hear that. We enjoyed having you both in our home.

Still, it's good to have work scheduled, especially in these still trying times. Best of luck with your endeavors!
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    These are two really great guys.

Dan Ashcraft's contributions to the design ethos of JBL's statement speakers goes back 30 years. He's done lots more than statement speakers, too. It'll be a fascinating evening to hear his comments on the role of design both visually and aurally.

Mark Gander goes back almost as far as Greg Timbers at JBL and he's got a motherlode of history and technology to share.

I need to hire someone to run these things so I can actually enjoy them and talk to all the talent in the room.

I got a mixed signal from Annie, as she asked, "So what new thing will you have to show them next year?" She's assuming people will get tired of the Synthesis® room (Doug Button and Jerry Morro loved it), the K2s, the PT250s and the Timbers Arrays. So I need to figure out if that question is a warning or an invitation.

I think she's growing to like the event, as long as a few women show up to keep things real. She definitely looks forward to George's cooking!

Made reservations for two today for a stay on the waterfront in Long Beach. Since my sister in Anaheim relocated up north my wife has no relatives to visit while I party. So this year she will be coming with me to the event to help "keep it real".
    David F
    San Jose

Quote Originally Posted by DavidF View Post
    Made reservations for two today for a stay on the waterfront in Long Beach. Since my sister in Anaheim relocated up north my wife has no relatives to visit while I party. So this year she will be coming with me to the event to help "keep it real".
    Will be good to see her again. Does she remember the Midnight meeting in the abandoned CompUSA parking lot?
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    Will be good to see her again. Does she remember the Midnight meeting in the abandoned CompUSA parking lot?
    Ha, good memory. Reading this out of context could be interesting. I remember that is was raining, or wet from rain. Maybe just a dream in this drought season we are having, like a mirage in the desert.
    David F
    San Jose

Exclamation Time to Get Serious

Okay, suddenly we're just 60 days out from the May 31st event! Time to set a deadline.

I can accept reservations until May 15 unless I get 30 reservations before that date, then it'll be waiting list time.

There are already 17 commitments, so don't wait too long.

Come by yourself? $30

Come in a pair? $50

It's all inclusive: gourmet meal by Chef George Carlberg, beverages, awards, meet and greet with our two honorees (and a possible third surprise honoree), browse the attendee JBL displays in the JBL museum (my garage), listen to K2 S9900, DX-1/Timbers Arrays, BSS/PT250, S308, Synthesis® One Array, meet a past winner or two, and more!
    Out.

Itineraries for G and I incoming!!
    Always fun learning more.......

Then there were three

I'm pleased to announce that there will be three honorees for this year's event. We confirmed the third attendee just this past week, and I'm thrilled! Can't wait to tell you...

...oh hold on, yes I can wait.

Those of you who've already reserved your places, I'll be sending you the information this weekend. I'll start posting bios soon, and our final honoree will be the last bio to be posted. Thing is, we may run out of spots before I get to the last bio. (Yes, that's a little bit evil.)

All I can tell you now is it will be a night to remember.
    Out.

Dan Ashcraft

When we think about the Everest, we think Greg Timbers, right? K2? Timbers, right? We also may think of Jerry Morro and Doug Button as having a role with the transducers, etc. We've honored all three for these and many other products we love, and those who've attended the Lansing Heritage Awards events in the past have had the chance to meet and interact with them up close and personal.

However, we haven't honored the person responsible for what we see when we have these beautiful pieces in our home or office, or simply when we drool about them as we look at them in photographs. The person who's responsible for the industrial design of these and many other JBL products is Dan Ashcraft. We're honored that he will spend the evening with us on May 31, 2014, and we hope you'll have lots of questions for him. I know I will, and I can't wait to give him his long-deserved award.

Here's Dan's bio:

The designer of JBL’s critically acclaimed Project Everest loudspeaker, Daniel Ashcraft consults on product design and brand innovation. His distinctive minimalist design has assisted a range of international brands that include Harman Kardon, Gibson, Seagate, Cybex, Adidas, Nike, and Mitsubishi successfully launch over 1000 new products.

A graduate of the Art Center College of Design with Great Distinction, Daniel Ashcraft founded Ashcraft Design in 1986 to address the need in corporations for branded product design identities that connect with consumers and build brands.

His work has a fresh, distinctive point of view that effectively communicates a very specific and carefully targeted visual narrative behind the brand.

Daniel Ashcraft has been recognized for his unique contribution to design by the
    Industrial Design Society of America Design Excellence Awards, ID Magazine, Germany’s
    Red Dot Design Zentrum, CES Innovations and iF Product Design Awards, Communication Arts and the Art Directors Club of New York.

Founder, CEO and Chief Design Officer, Daniel Ashcraft has written articles on the business value of experiential design, was featured guest speaker at the German Design Council's 'Design is a Journey 2’, Global Trends and Cross-Border Partnerships' in Frankfurt Germany and UCLA's Anderson Graduate School of Business. He has been an instructor of advanced product design at the Art Center College of Design in Pasadena, California.
    Out.

Thread Information