Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Amplifiers are more significant than you may think!

Alex Lancaster

Talking

Hey Guys:

Look at the pledge drive, cough up a little, specially some that use the non-marketplace forum for plugging their stuff!

Alex.

IDF
    Hi all,

I apologize for being at the origin of a controversy on such a peaceful forum. In fact, I'm currently looking for a new amp -for a gift- and I was interested in PSS products because he claimed they were better sounding than many others much more expensive.
    So I jumped on his site to read the review tests and was disappointed.
    Maybe I should have better kept this for me.

Regards.
    Last edited by IDF; 09-20-2003 at 08:49 AM.

Obsolete
    Hello IDF,

Peaceful forums are goofy.

What characteristic(s) disppointed you about the amps?

Have you brought home any for evaluation?

PSS AUDIO
    Originally posted by IDF
    ... I was interested in PSS product because he claimed they were better sounding than many others much more expensive.
    So I jumped on his site to read the review tests and was disappointed.

Maybe I should have kept this for me.
    IDF,

How can you be disappointed?

SONO MUSIQUE, unfortunately French written, says that PSS amplifiers sound by far more better than recognized high end audiophile amplifiers costing up to 10 time more (test report of PSS1000 from the 9B series).

SONO MAGAZINE (PSS500 9B) says that the common mode rejection ratio here has a value that is only rarely seen, even on amps with very good reputations.

Explain me, as it is very interesting understanding why, while reading good to excellent reports, someone can be disappointed and claim that those amplifiers are just made for a karaoke use?

Explain us why it is impossible selling amplifiers at a reasonable price while France has high labour level (our amplifiers are not manufactured in the Far East)?

After that you ask a translation of several test reports all of them old of 10 to 15 years, and even more.

Do you want to offer a fifth hand amplifier or a new one?

IDF
    Sorry PSS, I did'nt wanted to peeve you.
    Maybe I've been eading old rewiews. It is true that they are not so good. But why letting them on your site? Your brand seems to be nameless here, nobody knows it around me and I have never read anything about you in "la nlle revue du son".
    On the other way, your lasts posts were laced with insults. Against me, no matter. But regarding the national emblem, I think it is not very fair in an international forum.
    I'm done with that thread.

Regards

JBL Dog

Hello Mr. PBS Audio

Alex, good point!

Just out of curiosity, Mr. PBS Audio, have you made a donation to help maintain this site? Don is kind enough to let you promote your wares. I just donated $50 a few minutes ago. Could you kindly do the same? I mean, a guy like you havin' his own line of amps and all must have deeper pockets than most.

And when you make your journey to paypal (link is in the upper right hand corner of this page), kindly make a donation from the heart..... then kindly double it!

This message comes from JBL Dog

PSS AUDIO

Re: Hello Mr. PBS Audio

Originally posted by JBL Dog
    ... Mr. PBS Audio, have you made a donation to help maintain this site? ...
    This message comes from JBL Dog
    It will be done!

PSS AUDIO
    Originally posted by Alex Lancaster
    ... specially some that use the non-marketplace forum for plugging their stuff!

Alex.
    As said in a previous post, my account can be closed at the moment if my place is elsewhere.

PSS AUDIO
    Originally posted by IDF
    ... nobody knows it around me and I have never read anything about you in "la nlle revue du son".
    IDF,

PSS AUDIO is not in the audiophile market, only in the professional one, that is why there are no test reports in hifi/audiophile magazines such "la nouvelle revue du son".

Why should we remove old test reports, as we have nothing to hide?

It shows that we are always improving.

I was lying a minute ago when I wrote that we never had a test report printed in "la nouvelle revue du son".

Follow this link and you will read a test report on amplifier MODEL 1830 under the LINEAR SYSTEM brand!

http://www.pssaudio.com/presse/BENRDS-1830-09-1977.PDF

It was printed in 1977, when I was just 21 year old.

Out of this report can you please let us know how good or bad it is?

Alex Lancaster

Talking

Yuri:

Pls ask Yr Mexican distributor/reviewer to go back to grade school for some "Ortografia" lessons, also, entirely subjective.

IDF:

The gauntlet has been dropped, I, and possibly JBLDog could act as Yr seconds; How about MAC-10´s (long clip) or MP5's at 5 paces, Champs Elysees, Dawn, in front of the USA Embassy.

Alex.

PSS AUDIO
    Yuri:

Pls ask Yr Mexican distributor/reviewer to go back to grade school for some "Ortografia" lessons, also, entirely subjective.
    I do not understand Spanish, I “feel” what someone mean but I am unable to translate what was written!

From what I understand, this was written by an end user!

Can you please translate us in good English what was written in bas Spanish?

Alex,

It translates on Bablefish in just two words.

%^&* (**

Ian

Alex Lancaster

Wink

OK, here's my best from Mexican Spanish to American English; no charge:

Quote:

RE: The Beast has arrived... PSS 2400

Well yes, as Eduardo says "The beast has arrived PSS2400", and I affirm the comment, it is an amplifier of rigorous construccion, nothing to do with other "high end" brands like crown or crest, it is enough to look inside to imagine how it sounds, I have installed and tried it at less than 25% of capacity with Yorkville TL3252 speakers, sounds perfect, it is not necessary to alter the sound with EQ, by itself it gives a perfect balance of tonalities in music, excellent lows, defined, clear and robust; Clear mids, painless, powerful, Not brilliant highs, not shrieking, not deranging, not saturated, in short an excellent amp. for great quantities of sound pressure, be on the lookout for the official demonstration of Leon Audio e Iluminacion, it will be an event with excellent sound at major levels.

Unquote.

My opinion: Not only entirely subjective but also unqualified, it sounds like a vintage Chateau Margaux tasting.

Have Yr dealer send me one, I will try it against mine; Crown K2, Sonys N77ES and N88ES, and also at my friend's (at the aca.gr page), McIntoshes and Krells; If I like it, the $ is reasonable, between You and me, I know about "audiophile" dealers markup, I´ll buy one or more, and post the results.

Alex.

PSS AUDIO
    Have Yr dealer send me one, I will try it against mine; Crown K2, Sonys N77ES and N88ES, and also at my friend's (at the aca.gr page), McIntoshes and Krells; If I like it, the $ is reasonable, between You and me, I know about "audiophile" dealers markup, I´ll buy one or more, and post the results.

Alex.
    Alex,

Why don't you get in touch with him and summarize him the thread, I am sure he will be pleased lending you one amplifier (I do not know what he have in stock but I am ready sending him one just for you)!

Please read his full name and address:

ARMONIA AVM
    Fausto Vega Santander # 320
    Col. Escuadron 201
    09060 Mexico

Phone : + 52 55 55 82 04 13
    Fax : + 52 55 55 82 04 13
    Email : [email protected]
    http://www.armonia-avm.com

About the feedback, it seems to be honest if it is written by his customer (he is right the way he describes the sound quality, and nobody have listened yet the 9D+ amplifier I am still working on).

My deal is to manufacture a transistorized amplifier, reliable, punchy as all transistorized amplifiers but as smooth as a bulb one and with a lot of emphasis (reality in the sound reproduction/placement of instruments).

About Chateau Margaux, with each significant order I offer a wooden box of 6 bottles of Baron Philippe de Rotschild "MOUTON CADET" which is the result of a rigorous selection of wines from the most important Bordeaux names from grapes issuing from most noble strains: Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot and Cabernet Franc. Their blending, carried out by the Baron Philippe de Rothschild oenologists, give this wine force and vivacity, characteristics of a young wine. The tannins are frank without being aggressive. This ready-to-drink wine is a perfect complement to meat and cheese. This wine is a free gift to our customers and has no commercial value.

PSS AUDIO
    Originally posted by IDF
    ... Maybe I've been eading old rewiews. ... nobody knows it around me and I have never read anything about you in "NOUVELLE REVUE DU SON".
    IDF,

I thought that the way the test reports were placed on our website was clear enough.

I realize, beside the fact that all readers are warned that all the test reports are shown from the first one (September 1977) to the last one, is not clear enough.

That is why you were mistaken and thought that what I manufactured 25 years ago was what was sold today!

I will ask the page to be re-written not such mistake can happen again.

For those not aware about the facts, please read what is written at the very beginning of the page:

Before the PSS trademark was created, the first products were marketed under the name LINEAR SYSTEM. At that time, and barely twenty years old, Yuri D. GUTSATZ Jr. brought out the first LINEAR SYSTEM amplifier, MODEL 1830. This was the first amplifier tested by the professional press, and one which received enthusiastic reviews. A detailed report on this amplifier was written in the NOUVELLE REVUE DU SON in September 1977.

You will find the whole write-up on the creator and the different products tested.

Yuri D. GUTSATZ Jr. has elicited varied reactions because of his products and marketing techniques, but whatever the reaction, it has never been indifferent!

See for yourself!

That is why; forgive me being rude on your words, as you seem to mix-up several information.

Thread Information