Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Amplifiers are more significant than you may think!

PSS AUDIO

Re: Ready

Originally posted by Alex Lancaster
    Yuri:

Yeah, as mentioned, I´ve been in touch with Ed., I will take care of Mexican customs, do it every day, Ed. has the shipping instructions, so We don´t get reamed here.

Alex.
    Alex,

I will be out of town and travelling a little next week but I will arrange a shipment before Christmas (I will perhaps be Santa Claus)...

I will prepare the same PSS600 than the one I shipped in Australia thus all of you can speak about the same amplifier!

I am in touch now with Eduardo and I will let him know what is going on!

jbl

Smile amplifiers are more significant...

Hello PSS AUDIO;

I could'nt agree with you more! Last year my Marantz 300DC power amplifier developed a thermal runaway condition. After I repaired the problem and realizing how difficult it was to repair (typical of Marantz), I decided to replace all of the electrolytic capacitors. I then connected my CD player directly to the amp, not using the preamp. Not only was the sound clearer, but the bass was much deeper. I then connected the preamp (Marantz 3650) and the sound was not like it was when directly connected to the amp. I then replaced all the electrolytics as well as the resistors on the preamp board. The sound is now unbeliveable. As good as when I connected the CD player directly to the amp
    I started out to repair the amp and I ended with a new amp.

JBL

Alex Lancaster

Smile

Yuri:

Great!, it is very important that the EUR1 certificate with the green seal from French customs comes with the paperwork.

Thanks, Alex.

AudioGeek
    I then connected the preamp (Marantz 3650) and the sound was not like it was when directly connected to the amp. I then replaced all the electrolytics as well as the resistors on the preamp board. The sound is now unbeliveable.
    I'm getting ready to do the same with my vintage Marantz receiver.

wOOt!

PSS AUDIO

Re: amplifiers are more significant...

Originally posted by jbl
    Hello PSS AUDIO;

I could'nt agree with you more! ... I then connected my CD player directly to the amp, not using the preamp. Not only was the sound clearer, but the bass was much deeper. ... I started out to repair the amp and I ended with a new amp.JBL
    Hi!

I will even add that the use of a preamp is useless, unless you have a turntable.

Never forget that less components will be in the circuitry, better the sound quality can be.

That is why on the next studio amplifier (same amplifier than the audiophile model) there will be four inputs (one balanced using an XLR socket, one unbalanced using a combo XLR & RCA jack socket, and two RCA) with a good rotary switch and a good ALPS potentiometer before the power stage.

The trick is done and your CD player, receiver or whatever you use is directly linked to the power stage and there are no capacitors in the audio circuitry, it means that the amplifier is directly linked to your source (if ever there is some DC it will be detected and the output relay will disconnect the speaker from the amplifier).

If you are interested in, look at the schematic …

The sample I shipped in Australia and the one I am about to ship in Mexico have all those tricks unless the four inputs as the amplifier is made from the actual PCB used for our amplifiers.
    Last edited by PSS AUDIO; 12-13-2003 at 04:16 AM.

jbl

Smile amplifiers are more significant...

Hi Audio Geek,
    Let me know how it sounds when you are done.

JBL

jbl
    Hi PSS Audio,
    I agree that less is better, but I still need the pre amp for the phono section. This is the best compromise-for now.

JBL

AudioGeek
    Sure will!

soundhd
    The right or correct amplifier can and does make a big difference how a "program" sounds through a speaker system as does the right pre-amp, crossover, equalizer (if you use one), source equipment (CD player, turntable, ect...)and cables (speaker & interconnects) but what the job of an amplifer is is basically to do by what it is called......to amplifie........the right one will power the speakers with "no" coloration or noise...... period.............

HI Yuri,

I pursue the Threat already quite a while.

Slowly your amplifiers make me curious. Who represents you in Germany? Can one rehearse-hear the parts somewhere?

It disturbed me so far at high performance Pa amplifiers, that the background noise was so high with open entrance.
    How is that with your amplifiers?

Greetings
    Ralf
    16 Hz can not be substituted

PSS AUDIO
    Originally posted by Ralf
    Slowly your amplifiers make me curious. Who represents you in Germany? Can one rehearse-hear the parts somewhere?
    Hi Ralf,

We have some dealers in Germany but no official distributor yet.

We will exhibit as each year at the Prolight+Sound fair in Frankfurt where we can meet (Hall 4.1 booth L28).

What do you exactly call the background noise?
    Is it the signal to noise ratio?
    Is it the mechanical noise of the amplifier in a steady room?

Please let us know!

Noise...

Originally posted by PSS AUDIO
    Hi Ralf,

We have some dealers in Germany but no official distributor yet.

We will exhibit as each year at the Prolight+Sound fair in Frankfurt where we can meet (Hall 4.1 booth L28).

What do you exactly call the background noise?
    Is it the signal to noise ratio?
    Is it the mechanical noise of the amplifier in a steady room?

Please let us know!
    Hi Yuri,

Do you know the exact date of the fair? If it is possible, I will come with Guido.

Concerning the noises I thought of the signal to noise ratio.
    But if you already mention it, it disturbs me also that the exhausts are too loud.

I could imagine that you solved that in a better way.

Greetings
    Ralf
    16 Hz can not be substituted

PSS AUDIO

Re: Noise...

Originally posted by Ralf
    Do you know the exact date of the fair? If it is possible, I will come with Guido.
    Ralf,

Prolight+Sound will take place in Frankfurt from March the 31st to April the 3rd in Frankfurt.

We have a signal to noise ratio better than 105 dB and a proportional fan cooling and it can even be adjusted for a personal use!

Have a look at the latest test benches on our web site: http://www.pssaudio.com/presse/BESONO-500US-2003.PDF

Re: Amplifiers are more significant than you may think!

Originally posted by PSS AUDIO

Amplifiers are more significant than you may think!

the sound result is equal at your cheaper item...

Poor amp, cheap cable, wrong mechanical decoupling, wrong ac current, position, room treatement, oxidation, bad match, mis-interpretation for many other factor is direclty affect spectrum, speed, harmonic, phase response,

In General, the science is a big light in tunnel or 1000 astrology arguments...

ex: the tribo-electrical is possible to affect over 10% of signal by introdution of noise... ???

the tribo-electrical is one of big phenomenon affect amp, speaker and all items who cox cable appear.

This is a real reason the old Quad is entire attach cables inside amp. same reason who JBL put a great quantity of wax into part inside Old cross-over (3143 ex)... what is That ?? Any cable multibrin is fluctuate in impedance if vibration shake cable and unstabilise the tousand concact braid inside the cable. this fact is usually checked in insrumentation laboratory...

===========

Damping factor: is critical and yes the cable is affected the result.

tip of rule
    the target market is critical:

put very low damping factor amp in mic and go karaoke... and look the firework.

Krell vs Crown Krell is elow 10 Damping factor and Crown is over 5000 Damping factor (varying at model) because Crown is amp for live music with very high incidence factor in mic membrane.

Krell is for audio playback amp.

SO
    What is a better damping factor???

Well if you mixing console with monitor studio, you have interest to ear clearly where the position of input x is place in the image stereo: You choose hight damping factor...over 500. Because the harmonic is not critical (you have just verified with spectrum analyser the THD is below to the standart and that-it. (i build very ruff imgae just for this point)

Of course after the big orientation is found the variation determine the % allowed in fundamental reaction and extension of the harmonic...

More stiff, more smooth, more harmonic, poor image. Match cable, etc,

In this area the Flavour is appear at each Co...

I just finish this immense problem by conclusion of my exemple Krell if is connected at hight impedance cable the sound is completely different if your connect at very low Cable impedence....

One factor of mil spec is control test for tribo-electrical...

(and the war is continue)

yuk yuk

Bestsmurfs
    Regarding damping factor: I’ve used a McIntosh 2100, a Crown PT 2.1 and a Conrad Johnson. Sold the Mc out of bordom. The Crown held on to my LE15a’s with a death grip. Amazing detail but not very musical in the mids, kind of lifeless so I put it back in the box. The CJ is pure heaven. After extended listening, I have given up any thoughts of inventing my own amp or buying a tube amp. You can check out the reviews of any model CJ else ware. They are all very good, not terribly expensive and won’t give you a lot of fake specs.

Thread Information