Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: The Las Vegas Audio Club

More from the LVAC meeting:

Jeff came all the way from Texas to join in the JBL fun. Despite his T-shirt advertising, Jeff was a great guy, and very friendly!

Name:  DSC_7272.jpg
Views: 1026
Size:  172.2 KB

Here's a JBL project that Barry undertook, when he had to make a mount for a specific horn/driver combination, which you'll see in the next photos. VERY interesting stuff, and very well done.

Name:  DSC_7274.jpg
Views: 2146
Size:  59.2 KB

Name:  DSC_7279.jpg
Views: 963
Size:  49.0 KB

Name:  DSC_7280.jpg
Views: 895
Size:  37.7 KB

Name:  DSC_7281.jpg
Views: 926
Size:  84.6 KB

More to come.....

Doc
    The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

More from LVAC meeting: Barry and, I believe, Robert, still sorting out the setup. Both Gentlemen are knowledgeable and very interesting men.

Name:  DSC_7325.jpg
Views: 744
Size:  203.9 KB

More "cooks", stirring the JBL soup!

Name:  DSC_7322.jpg
Views: 760
Size:  202.8 KB

Les is admiring the mighty JBL Ubangi cabinet/horn combination, and he, as well as all the rest of us, were very impressed with the quality and dynamics of this system!! Well done, Barry!!

Name:  DSC_7329.jpg
Views: 8634
Size:  63.7 KB

Let's see what's inside this huge JBL system.

Name:  DSC_7293.jpg
Views: 691
Size:  197.1 KB

Four of those huge 2226 woofers should do the trick, and the most certainly did!

And, a proper 12" mid, the model of which has slipped my feeble mind, and a wonderful 2441 HF driver, both on Community horns, rounded out the system!!

Name:  DSC_7289.jpg
Views: 779
Size:  130.2 KB

More to come.... Doc
    The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

Thumbs up

Hey Doc, killer pics! Did you just want me to download from here, or are you gonna email them to me?
    S4700 owner.

Hi, Dave,

I was going to email them to you, but if you would prefer to download them from here, that's OK, too. Just let me know. I've got a few more photos to share, and then let me know if you want them emailed, or you prefer to download from here. Thanks, Dave. Cynthia and I had a great time, and very much enjoyed ourselves!! Talk soon, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

Looks like it was a big-fun time!
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

A few last photos of the LVAC meeting:

The music is happening, and everyone found their place of contentment for the initial listening sessions.

Name:  DSC_7315.jpg
Views: 752
Size:  88.1 KB

Name:  DSC_7317.jpg
Views: 795
Size:  67.2 KB

Finally settling down to some serious listening, not a single person had anything but praise for the system, and the chosen music that helped to showcase what these JBL's can do!

Name:  DSC_7328.jpg
Views: 763
Size:  222.7 KB

And, once those Crown amps were cranked up, just to see what the JBL's could do, the massive wall of sound waves was simply astounding, and still clean and clear!! Some of us moved back a bit, and ended up being across the street in a little round-about, which offered a wide listening area. If you look, you can see that my lovely wife, Cynthia, is dancing, and loving this massive JBL system!! Ahhhh, life is grand,

Name:  DSC_7332.jpg
Views: 2138
Size:  64.0 KB

A final huge "Thank you!", to Barry, Dave, and all the members of the Las Vegas Audio Club, for welcoming Cynthia, Jeff, and me to their meeting at Barry's place!! And a big "Thank you!" to Jeff, who kindly allowed me to play around with a Nikon lens I've long admired!! Jeff, that lens is now on my "gotta have it" list, thanks for you!!

I hope everyone enjoyed the photos that I, and Jeff, have posted here. The day was a fine one, with perfect weather, perfect JBL's, and perfect companionship!! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

As far away as we were in that last pic, you could still feel the music.

United Corporate States of Neo-Feudal Amurica, Inc.
    If they were facing north, I wonder if they could hear it in Area 51?

And would someone please clean the dust off those flares?

Shoot, I knew there would have been a job for me

Looks like there were a few boatloads of fun!

Thumbs up

Our Fifteenth meeting: http://lasvegasaudioclub.blogspot.co...h-meeting.html

Let me know how you like the write up. Photos are the same as here, I believe.
    S4700 owner.

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    Shoot, I knew there would have been a job for me

Looks like there were a few boatloads of fun!
    Good Evening, Grumpy,

Dave you were most definitely missed, and I passed along your regrets at not having been able to attend this fun meeting. I was thinking of you when watching the guys setting up the system, and knew that, had you been there, you would have gotten a kick out of participating in that task! You were there in spirit, my friend, if not in form. I also told Barry about the "game of chance" that you and I had up our sleeves, and he got a kick out of that! In any case, Cynthia and I were sorry to get your email that you would not be able to attend. We'll plan a BBQ dinner soon, and do our little "game of chance" at that time. So, if you could not come to Vegas, Vegas (or at least a bit of gambling!) will come to you!! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

Hi, Dave_72,

Excellent write up, Sir. Very well done. You captured the fun we enjoyed at your meeting, very well, indeed! Thank you, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

Hi All;

I am glad to hear that people actually had a good time here. I had a ball. When I say I'm a large format guy, well now ya know.

One of the things that delights me the most is other people getting their hands on and in stuff. Like Robert who ran home to grab a dac to horse around with. Hell yeah let's plug it in! You drive. Les took no time at all when at the wheel a week ago of letting it rip. He's not at all afraid to get loud fast.

I have been very fortunate to amass this pile of stuff and to have the space to air it out. To be able to share that with folks that haven't experienced and or driven something this powerful is super fun for me. It makes you feel like a kid again to be able to make this much noise.

The best part of all of this however is the people you meet. JeffW and I have been pals for about five years now. I hate the fact that he lives over a thousand miles away from me. I'm really glad you made the trip Jeff, thank you.

Les is another kindred spirit and someone I am looking forward to get to know better.

As for Cynthia and Mark, what a great couple of folks. You straight away get the feeling that your just going to love them, and it proves out that the feeling is right! Thanks ton's for making the trip you two!

I was bummed that Grumpy (who's not at all) Dave couldn't make it. There will be a next time!

Not by name but all the other friends that did and didn't make this meeting.

I have only had this stack out and really worked on it for a couple of nights. The DSP is currently still quite rudimentary. It sounds pretty good with the little work that has been put into it. Far from perfect, but lots of fun. As big as it is, it somehow sounds even bigger.

I intended to work on it Friday night and dial it in a bit more, and clean it up but Jeff and I spent Friday night beating a new CNC mill program for T4338's into submission until we were both good and ready to turn in.

Quote Originally Posted by LowPhreak View Post
    About the dust, we were trying to see if there was any reality the saying "crank it up and blowing the dust out of them."

Nope.

In the end, it is pretty amazing what you can get done with a small rack of mid shelf power and an old stack of good PA gear. I have more than a few large format horns but these are my favorites. The JBL 2365 won't play nearly as loud as the pictured Community 60° radial HF horn while sounding nearly as good and I haven't found a mid horn as smooth as the Community M80 either. I have JBL 4550's as well but the RCA's being two feet longer and with better throat geometry win by a pretty wide margin. It's all JBL drivers and Crown power and DBX processing though.

Just for the curious, crossover points are currently at 300Hz and 850Hz. Oh by the way Doc, the M80's have a 2020H's in them. The 2020's beat out 2202's, 2204's, 2206's and TAD (I can't remember the numbers) polymer graphite cone 12's. The 2226's in the Ubangi's beat out 2205's, 2225's, and 2227's. Everything in this stack has earned it's place.

All the best,
    Barry.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

United Corporate States of Neo-Feudal Amurica, Inc.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1audiohack View Post

About the dust, we were trying to see if there was any reality the saying "crank it up and blowing the dust out of them."

Nope.

All very cool, Barry. Sounds like it was a great time. I would have loved to hear that rig. I know it's sorta de rigueur that often for people that have large horn assemblies they haven't cleaned them since 1973, if ever (have you ever seen a multi-cell that wasn't pretty scroungy?), but those pix stressed me out.

LMAO!

Carry on!

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Mark View Post
    Hi, Dave_72,

Excellent write up, Sir. Very well done. You captured the fun we enjoyed at your meeting, very well, indeed! Thank you, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc
    Thanks! Much appreciated. No problem. My pleasure.
    S4700 owner.

Thread Information