Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: The Las Vegas Audio Club

Cool

December meeting place and time set:

http://lasvegasaudioclub.blogspot.co...-time-set.html

Back to back JBL meetings. You get to hear the S4700s once again!
    S4700 owner.

We'll be putting my ol' Bryston amp aside for a very unique one!

December meeting addendum:

The Las Vegas Audio Club: December meeting addendum
    S4700 owner.

S4700 owner.

January meeting place and time set.

http://lasvegasaudioclub.blogspot.co...-time-set.html
    S4700 owner.

S4700 owner.

I got to spend an afternoon hanging out at Les' place, I really enjoyed his system and he's a friendly and interesting guy. Glad the LVAC made it a stop!

Hi, Jeff,

How many times have you been able to visit the LVAC? It was great meeting you at the event we got to attend. If we lived closer, we'd join up, as the Gentlemen we met were great guys, and we had a great time at Barry's place, enjoying his HUGE JBL system, and seeing the other JBL systems he had there!! Glad you got to attend another meeting. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Mark
    The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

Barry and I spent Sunday afternoon after the meet we attended hanging out with Les, so just the one LVAC meet. I also got to hear Barry's home system and the 4350 patio system that same Sunday. Lots of bang for the buck on that trip!

HI Jeff, Doc and All;

Les did a bang up job with a great playlist and presentation. His system is fairly complex in order to demonstrate different speaker systems fairly rapidly and the big surprise is how quiet it is. Most systems with this much stuff wired into it sound like a rain storm without signal, not this one.

He has the biggest Smith horns I have ever seen at 36" wide, they play down to 200Hz, yeah, 200 and at condominium levels and above they sound really good. Truly they are a real surprise, and he made them to boot.

This club is starting to shake its self out and I really have come to like a lot of the guys. Les I like a lot. He was a coil winder among other things at SAE back in the day, 68-75 I think he said and he still has most of the stuff that was gifted him or he bought new, and more that he has collected over the years.

I am sure glad to have met Doc and his Bride at the meeting at my place and getting to see Jeff again is always fun.

All the best,
    Barry.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Good Morning, Barry,

Many thanks for your kind words, my friend! We, too, enjoyed meeting you, and the other Gentlemen from the LVAC, and we appreciated your generous hospitality very much. We also really enjoyed our conversations with you, and hope that, one day, we can come over and continue them! If we get a chance, maybe we can drive up to Vegas for a "get-away" from work, and if that happens, it would be great to have dinner together, and spend a bit more time talking about the varied subjects upon which we touched at the LVAC meeting!! We'll give you a shout if it looks like that can happen, and if it works out for you, time-wise, we'd love to see you again! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Mark (Ye Olde Doc)
    The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

Jeff and Doc: Well, that's cool to hear you like the club. You're welcome to join at any time.

Barry: Thanks for pointing that stuff out. I didn't realize that stuff about Les' system and I forgot he was an SAE employee. That's cool you and him are now friends. That's part of the club's mission.

Les' system is quite unorthodox compared to today's modern audiophile set-ups which are more flashy and shiny but don't necessarily sound better. It probably is a nightmare for some audiophiles using early solid state with horns. It's definitely a throwback to a different and more simple time in audio (and the world in general); the 50's-early '70s. Before high-end audio really got off the ground, the snobbery took over, and the prices went through the roof. To my complete surprise, it sounds good, so that's really all that matters. It also helps that Les is single! No WAF to worry about!

Anyway, thanks to everyone for their participation, interest in, and support of the LVAC. I couldn't do it without all of you!
    S4700 owner.

S4700 owner.

S4700 owner.

Thanks for sharing!

I wish we all could attend.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    Thanks for sharing!

I wish we all could attend.
    You're very welcome. It's neat to see and hear the various systems and how different they are, but all of them sound good in their own way.

There's good a number of us JBL guys, so there will be more JBL based systems in the months to come!
    S4700 owner.

Thread Information