Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: JBL 3-Ways

Quote Originally Posted by cjwebber View Post
    I've been chewin' on this 500 vs 800. I think I may have to go to 800.
    should've consulted the forum instead just my own thoughts

I've sent an email to the guy who made the crossovers asking for a schematic and direction on how to switch it to 800hz. Should this be relatively easy? I am completely ignorant when it comes to that kind of stuff...

In regards to your compliments for our house...thank you I am definitely stuck on 50s/60s design and snatch up whatever I can on craigslist and thrift stores.
    Going active 3-way using MiniDsp is good way to go. It can do time alignment, parametic EQ, selectable x-over slopes, gain. Connects to your laptop via USB.

Tripath amps from Hifimediy are cheap and sound great.

Dan

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by badman View Post
    I agree with Lee here- lining up the voice coils is not inherently a time-aligned speaker. The acoustic center of a horn tends to be a little bit down the length of the horn, from what I've seen, and as mentioned, the crossover really throws it for a loop. Small changes make a big difference here- just tweak it back and forth until it sounds right- use the stand up and sit down test to judge any lobing from the XO, unless you have a mic, which is an even better way to do it.
    Well, we understand her gist. JBL did "time-align" their L220 and L250 systems, as well as the XPL Series, among others, granted all direct radiator systems. Horns do add a degree of complexity, delt with as you describe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Going active 3-way using MiniDsp is good way to go. It can do time alignment, parametic EQ, selectable x-over slopes, gain. Connects to your laptop via USB.

Tripath amps from Hifimediy are cheap and sound great.

Dan
    Have you played around with their mic offering along with REW?

[Have you played around with their mic offering along with REW?[/QUOTE]

I haven't tried thier Mic.

Dan

Any digital crossover has an alignment function. It a few minutes it delays drivers and you get everything in phase.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post

........Dan
    It has to be aware that ordinary digital either analog networks have different time delay concerning the frequency, so if really time alignment want to be get much more complicated tools have to be applied. As I have remembered miniDSP used bi-quad IIR filter which are not "constant group delay" compensated types, but with more work (measurements and drivers movements) quite good results can be get,

Regards
    ivica

Thread Information