Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: S3900 is better than S4700???

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    Rooms, placement, source, amps, cables, etc., etc. all affect the system's performance... even though we routinely hear a speaker or some other component at a HiFi show, a stereo shop, or a friend's house and draw conclusions about the sound of what we've heard. Realistically how valid are those conclusions?

I've seen and heard the 4700s only once in a very uncontrolled setting and would never suggest I had a clew as to how they sound.

Widget
    Exactly right. I couldn't agree more. My question(s) to you are first of all, is how much better are the K2s than the S4700s? Secondly, is it worth upgrading to the K2s. Or should I just stay where I'm at and quit worrying about it!
    S4700 owner.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_72 View Post
    Exactly right. I couldn't agree more. My question(s) to you are first of all, is how much better are the K2s than the S4700s? Secondly, is it worth upgrading to the K2s. Or should I just stay where I'm at and quit worrying about it!
    I don't think anyone can answer that question.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    I don't think anyone can answer that question.

Widget
    Oh ok. Thanks anyways.
    S4700 owner.

Quote Originally Posted by martin_wu99 View Post

S4700 is not so easy to drive,especially when match with McIntosh,it sounds not good i personally think

I will support Martin in this. I find that the Mc's are uncomfortable with large woofers with large voice coils (2KW model is an exception). It sounds "sluggish" IMO. I have not tried the S4700, but with the S9800. (2KW model is an exception).
    2213 + 2435HPL w/aquaplas + H9800 (Matsj edition)

Quote Originally Posted by timc View Post
    I will support Martin in this. I find that the Mc's are uncomfortable with large woofers with large voice coils (2KW model is an exception). It sounds "sluggish" IMO. I have not tried the S4700, but with the S9800. (2KW model is an exception).
    So, the bass would be "muddy?"
    S4700 owner.

So, the bass would be "muddy?"
    Muddy might be a bit strong, but definitely not as clear and defined as with some other amps. I think the transient response in the lower midrange also suffer. The top half though is very good.
    2213 + 2435HPL w/aquaplas + H9800 (Matsj edition)

No problem. You're entitled to your opinion. Yes, probably a lack of break in time, I suppose. As well as placement and the room. The amps sound ok. Not exactly sure on all of this as I wasn't there, however.

I have found that these speakers are a bit finicky. They need a long break in time, and proper placement is a must. They sound best well away from the side walls, and very little toe-in, imo. I have them about 2 feet from the back wall, and surprisingly bass is deep but not boomy.

Anyway, when you were there did you listen to the K2 9900s? Just curious.
    Our placement options were limited for our subjective demos- all speakers we tried had to be placed near the center of the demo room.

Unfortunately there were no K2s present to audition. Others we tried were the McIntosh XR 100 which we really liked and a Klipsch member from the RS line (I forget the model #).

Red face My listening experience with these two speakers

I heard both of these models at home audio sound in Brighton, CO. The 4700 had fuller bass than the 3900. However, both produced high quality sound. My question when auditioning speakers at different price points is - which offers the best sound for the money? I like the sound of both, for different reasons. I would pick the one you feel fits your needs.

I've heard the magico Q7 sound both outstanding and not so hot on two different occasions. Are they an excellent speaker? Without question. Are they 185k/pair excellent? As always, that is up to the individual.

I think the 4700s are excellent too, especially what you can get a new pair for at home audio sound. If you like a little more bottom end, they will make you happier than the 3900. The imaging on the 3900s might be slightly better though.

It is good to see JBL offering high quality home speakers again. Relax and enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by timc View Post
    Muddy might be a bit strong, but definitely not as clear and defined as with some other amps. I think the transient response in the lower midrange also suffer. The top half though is very good.
    I see. Thanks for the explanation. Which brands of amps would you recommend?
    S4700 owner.

Quote Originally Posted by AS-21 View Post
    Our placement options were limited for our subjective demos- all speakers we tried had to be placed near the center of the demo room.

Unfortunately there were no K2s present to audition. Others we tried were the McIntosh XR 100 which we really liked and a Klipsch member from the RS line (I forget the model #).
    Oh ok. Thanks for that. I'm thinking the K2s are better. How much I don't know. That's why I asked.
    S4700 owner.

Quote Originally Posted by jimg69 View Post
    I heard both of these models at home audio sound in Brighton, CO. The 4700 had fuller bass than the 3900. However, both produced high quality sound. My question when auditioning speakers at different price points is - which offers the best sound for the money? I like the sound of both, for different reasons. I would pick the one you feel fits your needs.

I've heard the magico Q7 sound both outstanding and not so hot on two different occasions. Are they an excellent speaker? Without question. Are they 185k/pair excellent? As always, that is up to the individual.

I think the 4700s are excellent too, especially what you can get a new pair for at home audio sound. If you like a little more bottom end, they will make you happier than the 3900. The imaging on the 3900s might be slightly better though.

It is good to see JBL offering high quality home speakers again. Relax and enjoy!
    Ok, thanks for highlighting the similarities and differences. Now did you hear the K2s, or no? Also, will home audio sound sell to me even if i have a local dealer?
    S4700 owner.

I heard them all. Like I said previously, K2s are better. But you already bought the 4700s.

Why could you not buy from home audio sound in CO, if you don't live there? I live in so cal. And it is where I will buy.

Sounds like you aren't content with your 4700s....

Quote Originally Posted by jimg69 View Post
    I heard them all. Like I said previously, K2s are better. But you already bought the 4700s.

Why could you not buy from home audio sound in CO, if you don't live there? I live in so cal. And it is where I will buy.

Sounds like you aren't content with your 4700s....
    Ok, cool. Yeah, true, but that doesn't mean I'm ruling out buying the K2s in the future.

I dunno, I was wondering if he would sell to someone even if they had a local dealer. I see that he does with you, so thanks for answering my question.

I definitely wasn't for quite a while. I am now for the most part. What I mean by the most part is not 100 percent. But really, what audiophile is 100 percent happy with their system? There's always something that can be improved upon.
    S4700 owner.

Quote Originally Posted by Mctwins View Post
    Here you go again with your McIntosh, maybe McIntosh made in China dosen't sound good It has nothing to do with what kind of amp you are running the S4700 as long you have enough power to drive them. Last time I heard S4700 sounded good, as expected. Don't remember what kind of amp it was, maybe Levinson. About cables, look what's inside the speakers, you will be suprized what cables is used here, nothing fancy at all...even High-End speakers.
    The most important thing for a HIFI system is matching,not only about how expensive machine you use,how powerful machine you use.
    We usually spend a lot of time to select gear to match our system,including CD player,amp,cable,stand,it is also the big fun of audiophiles.
    I do not mean McIntosh is not good,i just say it is may not suitabe in the system
    BTW,McIntosh never made in China
    46 lover

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    I really don't know... there is absolutely nothing wrong with any of the transducers. They are used in multiple systems to great efffect. The 2216Nd is the current darling at JBL, apparently everybody who is anybody loves it.

But hey, the 4365 is full of some of the best transducers on the planet and look what people say about it.
    You place 2216Nd in such a high position,i'm curious in which position you will place 1501AL-2?
    46 lover

Thread Information