Page 1 of 30 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: S3900 is better than S4700???

S3900 is better than S4700???

I have read Japanese <stereo sound>,S3900 is cheaper than S4700,but they ranked S3900 more upper than S4700.

Is that truth?why?
    please comment
    46 lover

Obsolete
    It is possible that people might think the S3900 "sounds better" than the S4700 given that it is a bit newer, keeping in mind that the network has a major influence in performance. The components themselves? Well the little 100FE-12's, while very nice, are not 2216Nd's. In other words, the S4700 network might be why some people would think the S3900 sounds "better". I have not looked at the networks closely to see if there are any major differences.

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    It is possible that people might think the S3900 "sounds better" than the S4700 given that it is a bit newer, keeping in mind that the network has a major influence in performance. The components themselves? Well the little 100FE-12's, while very nice, are not 2216Nd's. In other words, the S4700 network might be why some people would think the S3900 sounds "better". I have not looked at the networks closely to see if there are any major differences.
    I remembered that you have said S3900 is very good.
    The magazine said S3900 issued at the same time with DD67000,maybe it have some improvements than S4700 in network?
    you mean 2216Nd is far better than 100FE-12?
    46 lover

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by martin_wu99 View Post
    The magazine said S3900 issued at the same time with DD67000,maybe it have some improvements than S4700 in network?
    If I have time and I remember I'll look at the two networks and see if anything stands out between them.
    you mean 2216Nd is far better than 100FE-12?
    While the 100FE-12 is a very nice ten-inch driver the 2216Nd is a significant step up. It has a few more goodies built into it as per its designer.

The 1200FE-8 and 1200FE-12 are also considered to be a bit more "expensive" than the 100FE-12.

By comparison, the 100FE-12 is quite a bit more "expensive" than the ten-inch in the 1000 Array. The 100FE-12 is similar in built quality to the legendary LE10, although it does sport faston connectors.

Comparing old to new, the 800 Array and 1000 Array use inexpensive low frequency transducers, not necessarily a bad thing, kind of like the old L16, L19, L26 and L36 Decade's, as well as the 4301, were better than they had any right to be given their low cost 116 and 127 low frequency transducers.

At one point I asked if there was a JBL Pro equivalent to the 2216Nd, this was before the M2 was introduced, and I was told there really wasn't anything Pro had that was close to as good. I guess that's why Pro went with the 2216Nd in the M2.

If I have time and I remember I'll look at the two networks and see if anything stands out between them.While the 100FE-12 is a very nice ten-inch driver the 2216Nd is a significant step up. It has a few more goodies built into it as per its designer.

The 1200FE-8 and 1200FE-12 are also considered to be a bit more "expensive" than the 100FE-12.

By comparison, the 100FE-12 is quite a bit more "expensive" than the ten-inch in the 1000 Array. The 100FE-12 is similar in built quality to the legendary LE10, although it does sport faston connectors.

Comparing old to new, the 800 Array and 1000 Array use inexpensive low frequency transducers, not necessarily a bad thing, kind of like the old L16, L19, L26 and L36 Decade's, as well as the 4301, were better than they had any right to be given their low cost 116 and 127 low frequency transducers.

At one point I asked if there was a JBL Pro equivalent to the 2216Nd, this was before the M2 was introduced, and I was told there really wasn't anything Pro had that was close to as good. I guess that's why Pro went with the 2216Nd in the M2.
    Great,maybe the editors consider the price and apply and give the rank
    You made things clear including S4600 i asked you before,S4700 is much better than S4600.
    Thank you
    46 lover

Obsolete
    You made things clear including S4600 i asked you before,S4700 is more better than S4600.
    Better how? Technically? Yes. Soundwise? That's a personal decision. I can tell you that JBL considers the LE14 to be "old school" and uses it anyway because it remains viable. The 2216Nd is considerably more advanced compared to the LE14. Please keep in mind that quite often I am speaking from a "potential" perspective. Could I actually live with an LE14H-3 or LE14H-4 at this point, knowing what I know? Absolutely.

You know, I had buyer's remorse with the S4700s that I have, almost to the point of selling them. It's true.

Now, with them fully broken in, I really like the damn things. Sure, I would like to upgrade to the K2s, but I'm not in a hurry to do so.

Now we have these S3900s. I dunno, and I don't care if some magazine rates them higher than the S4700s. I'm gonna try to ignore the naysayers regarding the S4700s from now on.

You got some guy on this board saying the 1400 Arrays are better, and now this.

And as you said 4313B, it's a personal thing regarding the sound. If someone like the S3900s so be it. There's nothing I can do about that.
    S4700 owner.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_72 View Post
    I'm gonna try to ignore the naysayers regarding the S4700s from now on.
    Always a good policy.

People say all kinds of things, you need to decide for yourself what sounds best or more accurately which compromises you prefer.

And as you said 4313B, it's a personal thing regarding the sound. If someone like the S3900s so be it. There's nothing I can do about that.
    Yep!

And why care anyway?

Widget

Better how? Technically? Yes. Soundwise? That's a personal decision. I can tell you that JBL considers the LE14 to be "old school" and uses it anyway because it remains viable. The 2216Nd is considerably more advanced compared to the LE14. Please keep in mind that quite often I am speaking from a "potential" perspective. Could I actually live with an LE14H-3 or LE14H-4 at this point, knowing what I know? Absolutely.
    So i understood,S4700 and M2 are "modern school",ARRAY1400 and S4600 are "old school",they are different style
    46 lover

Hi guys, I have had my S4700's for about 5 months now. I too was a little disappointed in their performance initially, however after hours and hours of just letting these this just run in the back ground it's only in the last month they have woken up.
    Woken up is an understatement! They are everything I had loved when I first auditioned them last year. I have never had a pair of speakers hide they secrets for so long, breaking in I mean. Verdict?
    they rock!!, downside, my neighbours hate me, what is the most impressive aspect of these things? The bottom end! They do weighty instruments so well, I.e bass guitar and kick drum.
    Presence, sound stage, dynamics, all very impressive! Tracy Chapman's "Baby Can I Hold You" just about kicks you through the wall when some volume is applied. INXS's "Burn For You" is just an experience to be hold. Alicia Keys' "Empire State of Mind (part11)Broken down" is so spacious and articulate.
    I think now is time for me to look at some cables, something I have always been very cautious of! I think the S4700's are going to let me explore the whole cable thing with great confidence. I'd love to hear from you guys at a good direction to go with the whole cable thing. I use a Bryston BDA-2 and Music Fidelity's M6500i integrated amp, 500w x 2 into 8ohms. I like the offerings from Cardas, in particular their Clear range.
    Thanks....

You know, I had buyer's remorse with the S4700s that I have, almost to the point of selling them. It's true.

Now, with them fully broken in, I really like the damn things. Sure, I would like to upgrade to the K2s, but I'm not in a hurry to do so.

Now we have these S3900s. I dunno, and I don't care if some magazine rates them higher than the S4700s. I'm gonna try to ignore the naysayers regarding the S4700s from now on.

Why?S4700 is so good,and even better than 4365,you should happy with it,just enjoy it.
    46 lover

Quote Originally Posted by S4700 View Post
    Hi guys, I have had my S4700's for about 5 months now. I too was a little disappointed in their performance initially, however after hours and hours of just letting these this just run in the back ground it's only in the last month they have woken up.
    Woken up is an understatement! They are everything I had loved when I first auditioned them last year. I have never had a pair of speakers hide they secrets for so long, breaking in I mean. Verdict?
    they rock!!, downside, my neighbours hate me, what is the most impressive aspect of these things? The bottom end! They do weighty instruments so well, I.e bass guitar and kick drum.
    Presence, sound stage, dynamics, all very impressive! Tracy Chapman's "Baby Can I Hold You" just about kicks you through the wall when some volume is applied. INXS's "Burn For You" is just an experience to be hold. Alicia Keys' "Empire State of Mind (part11)Broken down" is so spacious and articulate.
    I think now is time for me to look at some cables, something I have always been very cautious of! I think the S4700's are going to let me explore the whole cable thing with great confidence. I'd love to hear from you guys at a good direction to go with the whole cable thing. I use a Bryston BDA-2 and Music Fidelity's M6500i integrated amp, 500w x 2 into 8ohms. I like the offerings from Cardas, in particular their Clear range.
    Thanks....
    Sounds you have enough patience to wait your baby grown upit also turns out that"run in" is so important for CD player\AMP\speaker and even for cables
    46 lover

Quote Originally Posted by S4700 View Post
    Thanks....

Please describe more how they have woken up! My 4365 are 2 months old now, and are getting better all the time, but I hope there is more to come. Initially voices were sounding thin, but that is gone now.
    I will try to make DIY silver speaker cables later on. I have monoblocks, so i only need short speakercables. I have a friend who is a goldsmith, and can get me pure silver.
    For signalcables, I will use Canare or Belden xlr from blue jeans cables, I think. Any one tried those?

Obsolete
    Well I am certainly glad that these systems are coming around for you guys. The components are first rate and the designer is stellar so I was a wee bit surprised at the initial reports.

Mctwins
    It has to do with your room acoustics and not your cables. I have had Cardas cables and now I have Supra ply 3,4, not much difference in the performance, if you ask me. But, when I treated my room acoustically, a whole new world open up. Same speaker, but more punch/tight in the bass and clean hights.

Thread Information