Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Sub for Everest DD66000.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    I both agree and disagree. Conceptually I agree completely. Unfortunately in practice, I am not sure which AD/DSP/DAC combination would be truly invisible.
    SDEC or the BSS equivalent?

Quote Originally Posted by Jonas_h View Post
    SDEC or the BSS equivalent?
    No way! They are fine in a theater scenario... but are not even close to invisible sounding.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    But, a complete waste of time to even think about since HAdM has no interest in manufacturing any of it. No recone kits, no raw transducers, nothing.
    You never know... things sometimes do change for the better... maybe someone will kick Harman's butt in car audio and the insignificant home market will matter again.

Widget

No way! They are fine in a theater scenario... but are not even close to invisible sounding.
    Widget
    Have you A/B tested it? I haven't A/B testet myself as my speakers require the active crossover, but I was under the impression that the SDEC was close to invisible. In what way do you think it degrades the SQ?

Quote Originally Posted by Jonas_h View Post
    Have you A/B tested it? I haven't A/B testet myself as my speakers require the active crossover, but I was under the impression that the SDEC was close to invisible. In what way do you think it degrades the SQ?
    It would be extremely difficult to AB an SDEC with an all analog alternative, but I have listened to many systems with the SDECs in them. They are amazingly powerful and an excellent choice for a home theater or used in their pro audio skin as a pro audio piece.

But no they are not invisible. I don't have objective measurements or even a scientific explanation why, but virtually every DSP I've heard will crush the sense of depth in a two channel system. They typically add what I very subjectively call digital haze to the sound.

Here is another data point. Neither Kevin Voecks or Greg Timbers use them in their very high end home stereo systems... and I doubt it is due to the cost.

Widget

I both agree and disagree. Conceptually I agree completely. Unfortunately in practice, I am not sure which AD/DSP/DAC combination would be truly invisible.
    Have a go at the Four-audio
    2213 + 2435HPL w/aquaplas + H9800 (Matsj edition)

Obsolete
    Here is another data point. Neither Kevin Voecks or Greg Timbers use them in their very high end home stereo systems... and I doubt it is due to the cost.
    Well Ed Meitner should gift them some gear then!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoerninger View Post
    All of these contain amp stages. The simplest form would be a one or two OP amp circuit with some LF boost. Some tests before with a parametric equalizer stage might be useful. But who can offer this engineering?
    I think what needs to happen is the Crown I-Tech HD Series technology needs to filter down. Several people have stated that the top end of these amps isn't first rate. So fix that and get on with it. I think the Crown is something like six grand. Toss another grand or two at it to clean up any top end issues and sell a billion of them. I would actually spend money for something like that.

In my system, I have taken the analog chain up several notches and it is the source of choice. I fear it would be extremely costly to insert a DSP into the mix and not step backwards. I have been considering playing around with a Meyer Sound analog PEQ. I'm not sure it will be quiet and transparent enough though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoerninger View Post
    All of these contain amp stages. The simplest form would be a one or two OP amp circuit with some LF boost. Some tests before with a parametric equalizer stage might be useful. But who can offer this engineering?
    I have been working on a lot of discrete analog lately. I'm almost finished with my LR4 crossover and I have started a PEQ board. Custom circuits / filters are possible, of course I would need detailed specifications. I was thinking about a simple LF boost module as well.

Anyone interested? Let me know what you're looking for, I'll keep it in mind as I finish the engineering.

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by just4kinks View Post
    I have been working on a lot of discrete analog lately. I'm almost finished with my LR4 crossover and I have started a PEQ board. Custom circuits / filters are possible, of course I would need detailed specifications. I was thinking about a simple LF boost module as well.

Anyone interested? Let me know what you're looking for, I'll keep it in mind as I finish the engineering.
    JBL likes to tune their better systems in the 25 Hz to 35 Hz range so a bump filter with variable Q and boost should do the trick.

It could potentially be interesting to get hold of some of the new 1501AL-1s as used in the DD65000 and try them out in 20 Hz subwoofer systems. I was gifted five of them but let someone else have them rather than hassle with shipping them to me.

I just can't see bothering to add a 26 Hz system like the 1500 Array to an Everest II, which, in stock form, is a 31 Hz system that could potentially benefit from a little boost at that frequency in certain environments. That's why I sold my 2242H's, SUB1500's, and W1500H's... four 1500AL's are pretty much peerless in my opinion. But whatever works. If the 1500 Array fills the bill for the task at hand so be it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee in Montreal View Post
    THis early Spring, I built an 11cft 2245-based sub and am very happy with it. The sub bass is very musical and not a one note hit. The sub works from 20Hz to 50Hz to complement a 2-way 2226/2360 system. I am very pleased after 6 months. The cabinet has since been dyed tangerine on the sides, and satin black on the front panel, to better integrate with the other cabinets. I am a firm believer that there'S no substitute for a large enclosure to get an easy breathy deep bass... Can't beat the laws of physic. ;-

Nice Job

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    It could potentially be interesting to get hold of some of the new 1501AL-1s as used in the DD65000 and try them out in 20 Hz subwoofer systems. I was gifted five of them but let someone else have them rather than hassle with shipping them to me.
    Funny, four of them are in a project that is close to that very concept. I'm currently working out the DSP now.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian DK View Post
    I am thinking of buying a subwoofer for my Everest DD66000.
    I think Array 1500, or perhaps a DIY project with a 18 "2242H from S1S-EX in a small cabinet in the style of array enclosure.
    I have no room for S1S-EX, but can just clear an Array 1500 Sub size.

What do you guys think will be the best match for my Everest?
    And will the 18" 2242H play ok, in a smaller enclosure?
    The 2242H has unlike Array somewhat higher sensitivity, similar to Everest.
    What would you do?

Brian Dk
    Hi Brain Dk,

I have no experience with DD66000, but from my point of view two sub-woofer boxes with TWO 2242H in each box seems to give You
    -3dB at around 28Hz, if each driver-box is tuned at around 28Hz, due to the drivers mutual coupling.
    So totally 4 pieces of 2242 and two boxes of around 500Lit each without the equalization .

Regards
    Ivica

Quote Originally Posted by 1audiohack View Post
    Funny, four of them are in a project that is close to that very concept. I'm currently working out the DSP now.
    Are these 1501AL-1?

But no they are not invisible. I don't have objective measurements or even a scientific explanation why, but virtually every DSP I've heard will crush the sense of depth in a two channel system. They typically add what I very subjectively call digital haze to the sound.

Widget[/QUOTE]

I agree.......I would call it a "non-developed" substiute...
    that goes for 4 ch too

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by 1audiohack View Post
    Well I hope they work out for you. They should do quite well.

I wish the recone kits were available but they just won't make any. All of the 1501 variants are kind of indestructible and I've heard that the major issue is with replacing dust caps. So I guess one can at least buy new dust caps.
    Quote Originally Posted by pos View Post
    Are these 1501AL-1?
    Yes.

I was also gifted a bunch of other transducers and passed them all along to other folks I thought would put them to good use.
    Quote Originally Posted by ivica View Post
    Hi Brain Dk,

I have no experience with DD66000, but from my point of view two sub-woofer boxes with TWO 2242H in each box seems to give You
    -3dB at around 28Hz, if each driver-box is tuned at around 28Hz, due to the drivers mutual coupling.
    So totally 4 pieces of 2242 and two boxes of around 500Lit each without the equalization .

Regards
    Ivica
    I have experience with them all. I guess I just don't understand putting S1S and S2S subwoofers with systems like the K2 and the DD6x000. It's kind of "low rent".

Like I've said, JBL needs to make the 1501AL-1's available over the counter, in a viable shipping carton, as originally discussed, and let us do what we need to do.

I'm not going to put a one thousand dollar sound reinforcement transducer beneath a two thousand dollar SOTFA AlNiCo stucture just because I think I need three more Hz on the bottom end.

It is my personal opinion that someone who ponies up for a sixty five thousand dollar pair of loudspeakers should be able to buy a spare pair of 1501AL-1's, or, if they so choose, upgrade their 1501AL's to 1501AL-1's or 1501AL-2's.

And really... if extension to 20 Hz is all that important just dump these high priced Consumer systems, buy a pair of M2's and get 20 Hz all day, everyday. If the M2 is too inefficient, then wait for the dual 2216Nd system. Buy the right amps with them. You'll have about thirty thousand dollars left over to buy some beer and pizza to enjoy while you are sitting down listening to them.

Thread Information