Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Sub for Everest DD66000.

Maron Horonzakz
    GEEEEES !!! Why not just by a stack of AR-1 s ,,,,not much music an those low frequencies,,,

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    Well I hope they work out for you. They should do quite well.

I wish the recone kits were available but they just won't make any. All of the 1501 variants are kind of indestructible and I've heard that the major issue is with replacing dust caps. So I guess one can at least buy new dust caps.Yes.

I was also gifted a bunch of other transducers and passed them all along to other folks I thought would put them to good use.I have experience with them all. I guess I just don't understand putting S1S and S2S subwoofers with systems like the K2 and the DD6x000. It's kind of "low rent".

Like I've said, JBL needs to make the 1501AL-1's available over the counter, in a viable shipping carton, as originally discussed, and let us do what we need to do.

It is my personal opinion that someone who ponies up for a sixty five thousand dollar pair of loudspeakers should be able to buy a spare pair of 1501AL-1's, or, if they so choose, upgrade their 1501AL's to 1501AL-1's or 1501AL-2's.

And really... if extension to 20 Hz is all that important just dump these high priced Consumer systems, buy a pair of M2's and get 20 Hz all day, everyday. If the M2 is too inefficient, then wait for the dual 2216Nd system. Buy the right amps with them. You'll have about thirty thousand dollars left over to buy some beer and pizza to enjoy while you are sitting down listening to them.
    Hi 4313B,

I absolutely agree with You that JBL has to improve its customer relationship and to allow them, even the others too, the availability of the new technology 1501AL series drivers. May be on the existing one ( in DD66000) some kind od "upgrade" can be done by exchanging cone suspensions, and adding some kind of inner mass ring in order to reduce drivers Fs, but I wonder what would happen with Xmax, and the THD after such "upgrade". Generally speaking I think that it would be difficult to make driver tha would have Fs around 20Hz (or less), 93 dB/1W/1m sensitivity, and would have low THD up to 1kHz, so at the end 4-way system seems to me more realistic....

Regards
    Ivica

Mag Tape Loss

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    I guess it depends on your room to some extent but mostly the music you listen to. For '70s rock or vintage Jazz... there is no bass below about 40Hz and a sub isn't a consideration...

Widget
    I read that magnetic tape looses it s/n ratio min/hours after recording......
    Days later it's worse....bass suffered because of it ....I guess..

2241 x 2

Quote Originally Posted by hlaari View Post
    I think at the 15" W1500H in 1500Array are much better than 2242H for sub in home audio system
    the only 18" driver I am interested to try for sub is 2269G/H

of course you can also go for the new 18" Revel sub
    this sub is build with same magnet and basket like 2269 with different cone
    This thread has been good for me
    I revisited my sub...Eq'g it flat to 20hz
    than turned the thing (subamp) ..off ..then brought... it in slow..
    bass/transparency seem to be the TRADE OFF
    then..... turn off all the mains...to listen for the sub
    NO Sub...then it occured to me I was feeling/not hearing........
    a live TV hookup w/no sub filter was used as test source..

Quote Originally Posted by Fort Knox View Post
    Hi F_Knox,

these losses are far from being recognizable after years have passed, if the tape are of quality one.

Regards
    ivica

Quote Originally Posted by Fort Knox View Post
    Well... no.

I'm not sure how old you are, but even live pop/rock music back then didn't have the deep bass we hear today. It was probably due to the fact that they had no way to reproduce it. Even with mutual coupling the stacks of LE15As that the Dead used is nothing compared to the bottom end of today's massive systems.

Widget

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by ivica View Post
    Hi 4313B,

I absolutely agree with You that JBL has to improve its customer relationship and to allow them, even the others too, the availability of the new technology 1501AL series drivers. May be on the existing one ( in DD66000) some kind od "upgrade" can be done by exchanging cone suspensions, and adding some kind of inner mass ring in order to reduce drivers Fs, but I wonder what would happen with Xmax, and the THD after such "upgrade". Generally speaking I think that it would be difficult to make driver tha would have Fs around 20Hz (or less), 93 dB/1W/1m sensitivity, and would have low THD up to 1kHz, so at the end 4-way system seems to me more realistic....

Regards
    Ivica
    I was told just yesterday that JBL has discontinued all the 1500AL (K2-S9800) and 1501AL (DD66000) recone kits so there is no longer any option to recone 1500AL's (K2-S9800), 1500AL-1's (K2-S9900) or 1501AL's (DD66000) to 1501AL-1's (DD65000).

Note there was never an option to use the 1501AL-2 (DD67000) recone kit as the 1500AL frame required machining to make that possible as I detailed in a previous post with respect to all these drivers and their cone assemblies.

In other words, the 1501AL-2 (DD67000) frame is unique. It will take any of the recone kits, none of which exist anymore, while all the other frames can accept all kits except the 1501AL-2 (DD67000) kit.

This means that the DD65000, DD66000 and DD67000 are no longer servicable via recones or rediaphragms. I would think that JBL would do whole driver swaps if the need should arise. But I wouldn't bet your life on it at this point.

It's really too bad because the 1501AL-1 looked like it could be an excellent subwoofer transducer, especially in a QB5 or B6 assisted alignment.

The focus has been on JBL subwoofers here, and single ones at that....

Multisub is a much better way to achieve smooth room response. One could use a handful of Rythmiks and get servo-corrected bass, with tons of clean output, and low room interaction.

http://rythmikaudio.com/F15.html

Alternatively, some infinite baffle manifolds scattered around the room would be pretty killer. There are infinite baffle subs available from acousticelegance and parts express.

Quote Originally Posted by badman View Post
    Multisub is a much better way to achieve smooth room response. One could use a handful of Rythmiks and get servo-corrected bass, with tons of clean output, and low room interaction.

Agreed, that was my point in post #2 of this thread

It's really too bad because the 1501AL-1 looked like it could be an excellent subwoofer transducer, especially in a QB5 or B6 assisted alignment.
    I would love to use those 1501AL-1 in the 30Hz-250Hz range...
    Sort of like the 2235H or 2245H, right between subwoofer and woofer territory.

1audiohack, If you ever feel the urge to sell those drivers, please drop me a line

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by pos View Post
    I would love to use those 1501AL-1 in the 30Hz-250Hz range...
    Sort of like the 2235H or 2245H, right between subwoofer and woofer territory.

1audiohack, If you ever feel the urge to sell those drivers, please drop me a line
    3.5 cu ft tuned to 20 Hz with a 20 Hz bump filter. The only concern would be xMax in really large rooms. For someone like me with a normal sized room a pair could be real killer. But really, given that there is no way to repair them correctly, I wouldn't want to spend two grand on a non-servicable transducer.

But really, given that there is no way to repair them correctly, I wouldn't want to spend two grand on a non-servicable transducer.
    Why and how would you damage them (out of the dustcap) in home situation with a modern amplifier (read "not a phase linear" ) ?
    Personally I would have two pairs of those

Lost ?????!!!!!!!!

Why not give up Jbl and look for other brands ? Since Jbl doesn`t want to support DIY, all the fun is gone. BTW i have 4 W1500H subs for my 2ch and cinema and they sounds great in my ears. I donīt have a pair off Everest, but i have 4345 and my TAD 4 way. Why dream of all these Unobtainium drivers ???

In my Dreams i hope that the Jbl/Harman President can support us diyuers in the future! To show the rest of the world how the best are!

Mats
    4345 diy, K2/Array diy Ht. TAD 4 way diy.

Quote Originally Posted by badman View Post
    The focus has been on JBL subwoofers here, and single ones at that....

Alternatively, some infinite baffle manifolds scattered around the room would be pretty killer. There are infinite baffle subs available from acousticelegance and parts express.
    I disagree..Ive already tryed multi subs and a single works best for me...now outdoors is a differant story...
    I've heard yard parties ..lately.....(4 of um Saterday ..... where I couldn't tell if it was a live band ..or PA
    Especially w the sound bouncing off the buildings

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    Well... no.

I'm not sure how old you are, but even live pop/rock music back then didn't have the deep bass we hear today. It was probably due to the fact that they had no way to reproduce it. Even with mutual coupling the stacks of LE15As that the Dead used is nothing compared to the bottom end of today's massive systems.

Widget
    Problem w the Deads speaker system ...it was in disarray...

Thread Information