Thread: Audioquest cables with UST/banana plugs in need of adapter

Audioquest cables with UST/banana plugs in need of adapter

I saw a pair of Audioquest Type 4 10-foot speaker cables offered on our local Craig's List, sent a reasonable bottom-feeder offer asking if they were terminated in banana plugs, and was told yes and to come and get 'em. What I got seem to be a slightly older version than what I see currently offered by their retailers and from a little research these seem to have "UST" ends that are referred to as "banana" plugs but they are too small for any banana jacks I have. The do have a threaded collar at the base of the "banana" male part which would seem to be designed to accept a threaded adapter for true banana jacks but I can't find any reference to this part anywhere I've looked. I also seem to get a dead-end when trying to find an Audioquest website. Their retailers, including Crutchfield, Audio Advisor, and others show a different type of banana connector though some show this "UTS" often accompanied by a "2.44mm" notation and they all have the same threaded collar. Hopefully the picture below will show what I'm talking about or I can post some actual photos of what I have when daylight comes. If anyone has any familiarity with this brand of cable or type of connector and can tell what I'm missing or don't understand, I'd appreciate the help!

Name:  Audioquest Type 4 UST:Banana.jpg
Views: 5087
Size:  37.3 KB
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

They do have a website, but it appears to be down: http://www.audioquest.com/

Support Phone:
    Support FAX:
    Support Email:
    [email protected]

Good Luck,

If you find what you need and the price is a bit too much, shoot me a PM with the part number and I'll see what I can do for you.

Widget

USTPINSSET from Audioquest was an adapter set they used to sell, ...

might find old stock or look for threaded banana to whatever.
    Looks like Needledoctor.com has them individually (for $15!)

(or just clip 'em off and start again with your connector of choice)

Thanks guys. I meant to call them today but I was busy all day long.

My choice is usually Neutrik dual bananas like I used in my 6-Moons White Lightning cables. I'll see what Audioquest has to offer and then I'll cut 'em.

Name:  NYPANYS508.jpg
Views: 2066
Size:  74.4 KB
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Audioquest says their website should be back up by this evening. I had a nice chat with a fellow in their tech department who said these ends are maybe ten-years old and they don't use them anymore. He was not aware of any screw-on adapter to make them fit conventional Pomona bananas. He said the threaded part was to install pin or spade adapters, like the part Grumpy found, and that the fixed part should work as a banana connector.

Should, maybe, but they're about 2.5mm in diameter (I've seen 2.44 listed) and a normal banana jack is about 4mm, likely converted from the British system. He was surprised they didn't fit but though they might plug in to a JBL or a Crown but they do not fit tight, even after spreading the split ends. He did offer to send their new banana terminals at about $35/set of four, or to have the cables sent back to have them installed for something like $140/cable pair. I believe their current bananas are the serrated hollow kind with set-screw attachments.

I think I'll go with Grumpy's Plan B.

Thread Information