Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Pics of 70's artists with JBLs

Quote Originally Posted by caladois View Post
    Serge Gainsbourg
    Serge Gainsbourg's "Aux armes et caetera" album was very late 1970s. His reggae version of "La Marseillaise" infuriated conservative France when it came out in 1979. I thought it was great to hear Bob Marley's own back-up singers, the i-Threes, sing "aux armes, et caetera". ;-) Rita Marley, Judy Mowatt and Marcia Grifith. all also had their own solo carreers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLq7EcvRaf0

France is missing Gainsbourg. He leave us in 1994.
    Regards Stephane

Ma petite quéquette sort de ma braguette. Je pisse et je pète en montant chez Kate. Moralité: eau et gaz à tous les étages...

Pics of 70's artists with JBLs

do you think those artists even knew what speakers were being used ? do you think they even cared (as long as sound was reproduced well) ?? Does a renowned person walking into a studio and using what is already installed ... equate to an endorsement ?

with a personal item like a guitar, I'd answer YES, but this whole thread seems to be a bit of a reach ..IMHO

IF the thread was "pics of 70's sound professionals with their selected JBL's" , that might have been more significant.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

You're over thinking it mate, this thread is just a bit of fun

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post

do you think those artists even knew what speakers were being used ? do you think they even cared (as long as sound was reproduced well) ?? Does a renowned person walking into a studio and using what is already installed ... equate to an endorsement ?

with a personal item like a guitar, I'd answer YES, but this whole thread seems to be a bit of a reach ..IMHO

IF the thread was "pics of 70's sound professionals with their selected JBL's" , that might have been more significant.

It's 'bout the pride of ownership! Every time I see a 4343 or a 4311/4312 next to a famous artist or hanging in a big recording studio it just makes me happy and proud to own a piece of history.

do you think those artists even knew what speakers were being used ?
    if i well remember what i have read Serge Gainsbourg had its own JBL at home (4333 or L300? don´t remember...)

United Corporate States of Neo-Feudal Amurica, Inc.
    Seawolf's right. I do recall Pete Townshend and I think Carlos Santana endorsing JBL at one time, and certain engineers like Eddie Kramer of course, but most artists probably leave it to the studios and venues and often don't have much say in it anyway unless they're a big-name act.

And on an other side, Michel Simon, a french actor of the 50s owned Hartsfield, but He was not musician.
    Regards Stephane

Well, there was that whole thread here about the member in Paris who bought the 4320/4333 JBLs
    that Ox (the late John Entwistle of the Who) customized.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...-update-w-2405
    Quote Originally Posted by ratitifb View Post
    John Entwistle (RIP) bass player for The Who with a JBL 4320

Quote Originally Posted by LowPhreak View Post
    Seawolf's right. I do recall Pete Townshend and I think Carlos Santana endorsing JBL at one time, and certain engineers like Eddie Kramer of course, but most artists probably leave it to the studios and venues and often don't have much say in it anyway unless they're a big-name act.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Probably more important, though removed from the point of this thread, to discuss why recording engineers choose JBLs.

". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    Probably more important, though removed from the point of this thread, to discuss why recording engineers choose JBLs
    there's the crux to the misguidance of the topic. (as I see it)
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

there's the crux to the misguidance of the topic. (as I see it)

From my feeling this topic isn't a "technical" one but it has to be mainly supplied by every pic we can find here and there

By the way any technical comment regarding pics are welcome

There were plenty of artists who made tacit endorsements of studio equipment as a whole in that era. You are likely correct that they did not have particular preference for individual sound components in the equipment chain, i.e. studio monitors. But they often did prefer certain studios for a particular sound. Room acoustics, microphone choices, main control board in use were often considered by the artist when laying down tracks. Playback through a Scully or Ampex tape deck? Playback through Altec or through JBL? Perhaps not nearly so much.

The perspective I take from this thread is how JBL was such an established go-to vendor for sound equipment in that era. Whether you made the decision to use JBL or you relied on a knowledgeable third party, it's still interesting to note the prevalence of JBL equipment in use.
    David F
    San Jose

All apologies SEAWOLF97. In my defense: I was 'misguided' by the whole heritage thing, and a notion of freedom of speech/thought/assembly. I've removed offensive images. I was just trying to enjoy myself, and my new speakers. Gotta do something while others sleep. You have a great time deciding what's significant. ("... ..IMHO..." H? Seriously????)

Thread Information